IGNORED

Atari Flashback Switch with 150 games, arcade, 2600, and 5200 versions.

Atariboy2600

These have been quite good on Playstation 4, with a few issues:

- No paddle support, but a lot of paddle games. You can - kinda - make it work with a thumb stick but only barely.

- Online multiplayer is actually quite good, but not surprisingly there aren't enough people to actually play with. However, playing online with friends is quite doable, and fun for the old games.

- If you livestream it, there are some odd display issues. For example, the safety field in Yar's Revenge doesn't display on the livestream. I'm guessing it's the livestream tech trying to fix bad video?

Should be great on Switch.

• Like 1

Not sure who thinks that, but ok

I don't think the controller is right for these games, but I'm glad they're coming to the platform. Not having them split up into arbitrary volumes is nice.

The xbone-ps4 versions "had to" be $20 or less to sell at retail. I wonder if this one is download-only?

Not sure who thinks that, but ok

I don't think the controller is right for these games, but I'm glad they're coming to the platform. Not having them split up into arbitrary volumes is nice.

The xbone-ps4 versions "had to" be $20 or less to sell at retail. I wonder if this one is download-only?

Eh some people were comparing Switch to VCS and how VCS has games that came with it. I was being dumb because some are thinking it will compete with the switch.

I think the controller will be fine. Paddle games will be weird but everything else should be fine. Switch might end up being the Ultimate Flashback Portable ;)

My brother was excited to see he can get it.

I held off on purchasing the Xbox / PS4 versions because I heard so many bad reviews. Some of them mentioned graphical defects and even game play slow down. That just seemed inexcusable. Now these old versions are on sale at my local Walmart for $14. I was almost tempted to buy them just to see for myself. Now I'm glad I didn't.

I'd be willing to bet this gets a physical release only because Nintendo needs to bulk up the somewhat thin Switch library. It's an amazing system with a few truly great games.

I held off on purchasing the Xbox / PS4 versions because I heard so many bad reviews. Some of them mentioned graphical defects and even game play slow down. That just seemed inexcusable. Now these old versions are on sale at my local Walmart for $14. I was almost tempted to buy them just to see for myself. Now I'm glad I didn't.

I'd be willing to be this gets a physical release only because Nintendo needs to bulk up the somewhat thin Switch library. It's an amazing system with a few truly great games.

If there are graphical defects and gameplay slowdown I am not able to see it. The only graphics issues I've run into are the above-mentioned livestream issues where viewers can't see the safety field in Yar's Revenge and a few things like that.

I can't imagine the emulation being poor. Switch hardware is powerful enough to emulate a Game Cube. Someone got Dolphin running on the Shield which is basically the same hardware. Run Animal Crossing on dolphin and you can play bonus emulated NES games running on an nes emulator inside a game cube emulator on a modern arm device. So suffice to say I think the switch can handle Atari emulation.

I suspect the video livestream glitches may have been due to flicker and the specific algorithm it uses to deinterlace or otherwise reduce the framerate. Tons of old games have sprites that flicker at 30hz, making them look like ass with venitian blinds effects on modern tv, or in some cases disappear altogether when uploaded to sites like youtube.

I haven't seen Atari 5200 (or 8Bit) on ANY modern commercial product since the time when they came out.

There were unconfirmed reports back in the spring that a Vol. 3 with 5200 games coming to the 'bone and PS4 last month to match the 2600/arcade Volumes 1 and 2, but it never happened. Note too that the original link posted is some site most of us have probably never heard of.

Anyway, I bought Atari Vault on Steam for $3.99 last fall. Great cheap purchase and most of the games play well with an XBone controller (couldn't get Steam to recognize my USB Classic2 joystick, which is annoying because Windows recognizes it and it works in Stella, Altirra and every other emulator I've thrown at it). The Trak-Ball arcade games also have mouse support which is an okay substitute for the real thing.

Edited by DrVenkman

Flashback volume 3? It's still coming, just not til fall.

I don't know for sure, but I would assume the Switch version contains the games of FB1+FB2+FB3, all in one package.

Yes Switch gets them all in one. Xbox and PS4 get flashback 3.

I'm definitely in if it's a physical release. If it's digital only, I won't even consider it. (I ONLY buy physical releases).

I'd be willing to bet this gets a physical release only because Nintendo needs to bulk up the somewhat thin Switch library. It's an amazing system with a few truly great games.

I wouldn't call it thin anymore. It's been getting so many releases this year it's been hard to keep up with. I have 88 cartridges for the Switch so far, with several more to buy this month. All good games. :-)

• 7 months later...

A VERY nice/good friend bought me a Switch for my 50th birthday along with this cartridge and it's been great. Probably THE best gift someone has given me in years. So very generous of him. The Switch is a beautiful piece of hardware and Nintendo was very smart to make it so mobile and easy to play.

I guess he knew that while I'm not a great gamer I do have an appreciation for hardware & videogames. I think like so many of the people on here we grew up during the golden age when these digital beauties came out of nowhere & just ignited our childhood imaginations.