IGNORED

Atari Flashback Switch with 150 games, arcade, 2600, and 5200 versions

Atariboy2600

They did not press too many carts of this. Going to be a real RAR3 one eventually.

The cheapest one i can find is one ebay for $51. Snap it up before they are gone gone gone.

Perhaps I shouldn't have returned my copy to Target when I found a cheaper source for eShop cards.

Were folks still looking for this? I feel like I always see copies of it locally.

I do NOT understand why Digital games aren't discounted more often and for much larger amounts than they tend to be. If companies can save the effort of manufacturing, shipping, etc...and the product has No chance of being traded / sold used with no benefit to them whatsoever....they should be giving a discount of 20+% at a minimum. But they're not, so for the same price or close, out of both principle and for other reasons, I'd go all Physical.

The most reasonable reason I've heard is that while digital is definitely a large part of their revenue stream, B&M is still significant. If they regularly or always discounted their digital, it would piss off B&M and they would stop carrying them.

Edited by SpaceCowboy850

Hmm... the game received another update.

I rather wish there were some indication as to what was being changed/fixed.

There is. You just need to follow us (@CodeMystics) on Twitter.

This one is minor. There was a potential crash if you launched and aborted multiple 5200 games in a session. Plus the direction buttons now do something useful in 5200 Super Breakout and 5200 Missile Command.

The update before that was more involved: https://twitter.com/CodeMystics/status/1093024130981552130

• Like 3

This one is minor. There was a potential crash if you launched and aborted multiple 5200 games in a session. Plus the direction buttons now do something useful in 5200 Super Breakout and 5200 Missile Command.

The update before that was more involved: https://twitter.com/CodeMystics/status/1093024130981552130

Ah! Thanks -- I suppose wishing for Atari 800 & XE titles to magically appear is asking too much, though. Heh.

I need to fool around with this more -- some of the 5200 ports seem to have "odd" controls in comparison to the 800 originals, but I'm not sure if it's just me or something different about the coding to account for analog joysticks.

Ah! Thanks -- I suppose wishing for Atari 800 & XE titles to magically appear is asking too much, though. Heh.

I need to fool around with this more -- some of the 5200 ports seem to have "odd" controls in comparison to the 800 originals, but I'm not sure if it's just me or something different about the coding to account for analog joysticks.

The only thing odd really are the original 5200 controls. They're very difficult to replicate and weren't always enjoyable on the original platform.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If there are any plans for additional updates, would it be possible to add in paddle emulation by rotation of Switch controllers?

That is, using a Joycon as as a "dial" by turning it right and left in space.

It seems like it would be a good way to simulate real rotary controllers -- touch screen and joystick controls don't quite do that justice.

(I suppose this would also mean the game would support the Labo Vehicle wheel!)

• Like 1

I feel like paddle emulation by switch controller rotation is about the only thing left to do for this package, outside of whatever bugs I am not familiar with. The touch screen works quite well, but I'd love to be able to use the joycons for paddle games (assuming they could work well.) This is a great package, thanks for making it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

To everyone who likes to share games and don't like digital: The Nintendo Switch actually supports Digital Game Sharing, although it is very limited (the only thing I know to compare it to is Steam). If anyone has some Digital Games and want family and trusted friends to enjoy them too, it's better than nothing.

I really like this game. IMO the 2600 is the best retro console for local multiplayer-- the controllers and games are so intuitive, and so great. Frogs and Flies, Outlaw, Realsports Tennis, Combat, Dodge 'Em, Video Olympics, and of course Warlords are a few of my favorite 2600 multiplayer games (oh, and they're all included in this collection, which is pretty great). Recently, I've started loving the Switch for local multiplayer as well, because there are just so many ways to play. Basically every game is compatible with Double Joycon, Pro Controller, and Gamecube Controller, but single joycon is really great for casual multiplayer (especially with younger, older, and generally more casual players who want a simple controller for simple games) and every device comes with two of them! And of course, there are tons and tons 3rd party controllers to choose from. PowerA makes a pretty good Gamecube-inspired Pro Controller, 8BitDo has tons of great options inspired by the NES, SNES, and Genesis, and there are tons more companies that I'm forgetting. So, the idea of emulating some of the best local multiplayer retro games on some of the best local multiplayer modern hardware really excited me. As for the software itself, emulated roms in a frontend is the forte of Code Mystics (and I guess AtGames), so I have no complaints. It's just the combination of the Switch and the 2600, my two favorite things to play multiplayer games on, that excited me so much.

Oh, and a question: Are there any Hackers and/or Homebrewers in this thread? I'm asking because Code Mystics put together a really good frontend, and in a few years I'd like to homebrew my Switch and inject my own roms into this Frontend. Stuff like Homebrews, third party games, and a bunch of Arcade Ports that Atari SA doesn't have the rights to. Has anyone tried to reverse engineer the emulator and/or frontend? I know that Switch Homebrewing is still in its infancy, but Rom Injections for the NES Online app have been working pretty well so far, so it might be possible eventually. Rom injecting on Flashback Classics Switch could make the Flashback Portable completely redundant. I'd also be curious about the possibility of homebrewers adding Stelladaptor and/or 2600-daptor compatibility to the Switch, because Joycons are great, but actual joysticks, paddles, trackballs, and Genesis Controllers are better for most Retro games. Warning: I know nothing about hacking and homebrewing, I just follow instructions, so everything I just said might be extremely wrong and/or stupid.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I think you'd like the Atari Flashback 9 (tv console), which has old-style controls and an SDcard slot for adding more 2600 games. 

I've already got the RetroN 77 with Stella 6 community update and 15 fairly common cartridges, as well as the full library and a bunch of recommended homebrews on the SD Card. I was just hoping that maybe someday my RetroN 77 and Flashback Portable could be replaced by a single device because I like multitaskers.

• 1 month later...

Indie Gamer Chick reviewed this. Spoiler: it's going to make you mad if you are fond of many of these games. She's a tough critic but she backs up her opinion pretty well. Like the Tiny Cartridge review I posted a while back, this is from the perspective of a younger person who didn't grow up with these games. 

Spoiler

INDIE GAMER CHICK RETRO-APPROVED RANKINGS

Arcade
1. Lunar Lander
2. Space Duel
3. Black Widow
4. Red Baron
5. Asteroids Deluxe
6. Pool Shark

Atari 2600/5200
1. Yar’s Revenge
2. Save Mary
3. Fatal Run
4. Saboteur
5. Combat
6. Bowling
7. Asteroids (2600 version)
8. Missile Command (2600 version)

Total Games: 150
IGC Goal: 50
IGC Approved: 14
**SET FAILS**

I got this a while ago, great little collection. Surprised me battl ezone was missing.a

once I realized you could rotate the stick to simulate a paddle/driving controller, the games that use that were FAR more playable. I started out trying to just move left/right, but the switch stick throw is to short to have good control that way.

I know there were few, or no, instructions for arcades, but they should have made some, some games (like lunar lander) really weren't self explanatory. Or the racing games where you held the direction you wanted to go, rather than steering. LOL.

amusing that I got more play out of tempest alone, than I did out of t4k ?