IGNORED

video games that turned out worse on more powerful hardware

Almost everything that Micronics touched turned to shit, LOL. (Except for the NES port of Twin Cobra which is amazingly decent.)

The AVGN did a review on super pitfall and it has the scariest drawing of a demon i have ever seen. apparently, when you die, they start a tug of war over your soul

Nope. Mayan Adventure was a snooze.

Yeah. I bought the SNES port back in the day and disliked it back then. The Atari 2600 game is charming in its simplicity and unique for the time. Mayan Adventure is yet another generic 16-bit platformer.

Pharaoh's Tomb (DOS PC) is sort of like an unofficial Pitfall sequel that is a blast. You should be able to run through all three episodes in a day or two, but it's so much fun.

Montezuma's Revenge (Sega Master System, other various consoles) also sort of plays like an unofficial Pitfall sequel and is much better than Super Pitfall/Mayan Adventure. It's pretty challenging with the unforgiving jumping mechanics though.

Dunno about "worse," but I like Castle of Illusion on the Master System better than the technically superior Genesis version.

Super Pitfall is hot garbage. I feel like David Crane's A Boy and his Blob is a better spiritual sequel to my beloved Pitfall II.

Edited by dj_convoy
  • Like 1

Mega Man 1, 2, and 3 on the Genesis (Mega Man: The Wiley Wars) were just brutally bad, full of slowdown.

Someone has done a ton of work to port Mega Man 2 to the PC Engine, and it's really solid.

BTW I don't play by the rules very well, but the Genesis is clearly superior hardware to the NES, so I feel like I'm sticking with the spirit of the thread, even if I broke the letter of the rules in the OP. :lol:

Edited by derFunkenstein

7800 Centipede I enjoyed more than NES Millipede. 2600 Centipede and Millipede I enjoyed more as well. And it's not just the trackball hacks either, but even the joystick versions play better on Atari than the nes port. I have no idea why I prefer the Atari ports.

Oh, here's another. Toki going Ape spit was awful on the Genesis, but NES and Lynx Toki were quite faithful to the arcade.

Frogger was perfect on Genesis, terrible on SNES.

Every 3d sonic game ever made. Sonic just didn't translate as well into 3d third person platformer compared to Mario.

7800 Centipede I enjoyed more than NES Millipede. 2600 Centipede and Millipede I enjoyed more as well. And it's not just the trackball hacks either, but even the joystick versions play better on Atari than the nes port. I have no idea why I prefer the Atari ports.

Oh, here's another. Toki going Ape spit was awful on the Genesis, but NES and Lynx Toki were quite faithful to the arcade.

Every 3d sonic game ever made. Sonic just didn't translate as well into 3d third person platformer compared to Mario.

You got that right. Forces Traumatized me

The only ones that come to mind are Donkey Kong for the 2600 compared to the Intellivision version, although it was on purpose, I guess (I know both were intentionally inferior to the Colecovision version, but did Coleco purposely mean for the VCS port to beat out the Intellivision's?)

Also, Winter Games for the 2600 compared to the NES version (or all other versions depending on your taste for certain events).

I'm betting Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar will be better than Tempest 4000 on the Ataribox... :evil:

How did Tempest 3000 compare to 2000? (Just curious, I've never played it or even seen footage.)

One of the most glaring examples is SNES Ninja Gaiden Trilogy.

In addition to the above, Ninja Gaiden ported to the PC Engine. The 16-bit era was not kind to the Hayabusas.

Ballblazer for the 7800 was far more faithful to its Atari 8-bit original than the Famicom version. Karateka on both the 7800 and the Famicom stunk compared to the Apple II.

Castlevania on the Amiga. Hoo Boy, is that game an abortion of a port. The Music is terrible and out of sync. The Controls are awful. And the game looks worse than it's NES/FDS counterpart.

Honorable mention: Mega man for Game Gear. A game published by US Gold that's actually worse than it's Gameboy counterparts. What's more, this is on a platform that is marginally better than the NES.

Edited by empsolo

The games that were EXACTLY the same on stronger hardware always surprised me. A few come to mind:

Pitfall on Intellivision

Return of the Jedi Death Star Battle on Atari 5200

Demon Attack on Intellivision has fancier graphics, but I don't think it's as timeless because of the boss design. That doesn't really count as "worse" though, just my preference -- and not what I thought as a kid.

• Like 1

Wasn't the 7800 the more powerful system compared to NES though?

That's what I've heard anyway. Never dug into it or anything.

Same processor. Different graphics chips. The 7800 could display more moving objects on the screen at one time than the NES, but the NES' bus design made adding RAM to cartridges easier.