IGNORED

video games that turned out worse on more powerful hardware

Oh I got one.. Nectaris/Military Madness. The new ones on modern consoles changed the tunes, gave it boring "3d" animations (which could be turned off but still), made it all gray and ugly, etc. It was a total non-joy to play unlike the standard old Hucard version with it's fast play and bouncy music.

military%20madness%20tg-16.pngvs. screenlg1.jpg

For that matter a lot of the Square RPGs got a lot shittier to play too on more powerful hardware like the PSX with load times for each battle :lol:

• Like 4

I got one, though I think probably if there are fanboys of it, some could disagree.

Anyone here familiar with Konami's late 90s RPG (more of a rogue like) Azure Dreams? It first hit the PS1 mid/later 90s, and then at the very end of the 90s it hit the GBC (hybrid cart.) The PS1 game was fairly decently liked, and it was a mix of a tower based rogue/RPG style game but it had a lot of time pulled away dinking around with relationship building with anime chicks and town building with that while having a more basic combat area. GBC came along, retained but minimized the town and relationship building. The GBC release streamlined play, added a 100 floor basement to the 30 floor tower, a lot more monsters to the roster, and other updates too so seemingly Konami took some critiques and rolled with it. The GBC title if you care less about foofoo patty cake with anime 2D sprite girls and more about combat and variety is the real winner.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

necro-ing a tiny bit, but only because i noticed it had been mentioned on this post.

I have been playing Mighty Final Fight on my 'NES' time this week, and it's flipping awesome! I wish I had played it more when it originally came out because I think honestly it's a better game than Final Fight SNES.

The action is quick (i prefer Guy), the graphics are great for an NES title, and the music is super catchy. Overall, probably one of the most fun games I've played on the NES.

Mighty Final Fight was easily one of the best entries in the series. Shame it came so late in the NES's lifecycle and got overlooked.

necro-ing a tiny bit, but only because i noticed it had been mentioned on this post.

I have been playing Mighty Final Fight on my 'NES' time this week, and it's flipping awesome! I wish I had played it more when it originally came out because I think honestly it's a better game than Final Fight SNES.

The action is quick (i prefer Guy), the graphics are great for an NES title, and the music is super catchy. Overall, probably one of the most fun games I've played on the NES.

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more, still to me the best side scrolling brawler on the NES. I'd say River City was really but it's got those RPG elements, it's not a straight brawler. I was so happy when I found it on a flea market table for like 5 bucks or something right about the time NES stuff just started creeping around 2010. I still pull that one out and go to down playing it as it's really fun and almost relaxing in a way. Shame and amusing how it has all 3 people in it and the stages too, and the SNES was cut short for a rushed christmas launch window (boo.) Capcom knows its good, when they had lots of things to pick, doing that wonky 3 NES game emulated GBA package it made it along with Strider and Bionic Commando I think it was.

• Like 1

Q*Bert and Gyruss were both better on the ColecoVision than on the NES.

However, I have to hand it to the NES for its version of Donkey Kong Jr. Pretty impressive!

The Colecovision versions are closer to the arcade. The NES ports are different but still good, especially Gyruss.

NES Q*Bert would be the best if your score didn't disappear upon game over. Q*Bert is an arcade game where score is important.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Balloon Kid for the Game Boy was ported to the Famicom as Hello Kitty World. The two player mode in Balloon Kid allows for simultaneous play, but the two player mode in Hello Kitty World only supports alternating play. The Famicom game is missing the third game mode.

Additionally, Kwirk (Puzzle Boy in Japan) originated on the Game Boy. It was followed by a PC Engine release, also called Puzzle Boy, with different puzzles. The PC Engine's puzzles were ported to the Famicom Disk System as Puzzle Boys, but compared to the Game Boy game, the FDS game is a chore to play because it has to load every level from the disk. While technically this does not meet the criteria, it's close enough in my opinion.