IGNORED

Quick question about Computer Module guide correction sheet

zmbdog

I have a 3-panel sheet listing specific errors in the Computer Module Owner's Manual with corrections. I'm just wondering if this was a last minute inclusion that came with the boxed attachment or if this came a little later (maybe something mailed to those who registered the add-on). Perhaps someone here who purchased the attachment in-store can recall? Thanks

I'm assuming it doesn't come with the Computer attachment itself then. :lol: Probably mailed out. Wouldn't surprise me cause whoever had my Intellivision before (I got it around '99) did stuff like tape their original receipts from '83/'84 inside of game manuals and kept even stuff like the little 90-day warranty slip and $2.50 store "check"/coupon toward a game purchase. In fact, it blows my mind that they threw the game boxes away (why was that a thing everyone did?). They kept EVERYTHING else, apparently.

Edited by zmbdog

One more find from this stuff that I can't locate much info on (when I titled this thread "quick question" I knew it would end up a lie somehow |:) )

The console registration card mentions that those who mail it in will receive a game catalog. I assume that's what these are. Were they available by any other means?

20180706_005753.jpg
20180706_005902.jpg

The Intellivision site has a 1982 catalog pictured which is mostly the same as mine (a different cover and a slightly different game list) but it gives no info about where or what it originates from.

I have the top one in one of my manuals too. Is there more than one style manual? Both of mine are spiral bound and have the same errors, but I swear it also comes in a regular glued binding.

Both my module guides are spiral bound, I'm pretty sure they were bought a year apart (1981 and 1982) but my computing guide is looped black plastic.

• Like 1

I have a 3-panel sheet listing specific errors in the Computer Module Owner's Manual with corrections. I'm just wondering if this was a last minute inclusion that came with the boxed attachment or if this came a little later (maybe something mailed to those who registered the add-on). Perhaps someone here who purchased the attachment in-store can recall? Thanks

I bought an ECS on its first year and I recall it came with an errata sheet like that. I remember that, because my father went through the entire manual and made the corrections with an ink pen. I recall having the distinct feeling (or my father explaining) that the errors were discovered after going to manufacturing, so I'm pretty sure it came with the unit. I'll take a look, but I believe the boxed ECS I have right now (which came new-in-box) have it.

Same for the Home Computing Guide as well.

-dZ.

• Like 1

I bought an ECS on its first year and I recall it came with an errata sheet like that. I remember that, because my father went through the entire manual and made the corrections with an ink pen.

I bought an ECS on its first year and I recall it came with an errata sheet like that. I remember that, because my father went through the entire manual and made the corrections with an ink pen.

-dZ.

That's how mine is, maybe I ended up with the same one. :lol:

Edited by zmbdog

One more find from this stuff that I can't locate much info on (when I titled this thread "quick question" I knew it would end up a lie somehow |:) )

The console registration card mentions that those who mail it in will receive a game catalog. I assume that's what these are. Were they available by any other means?

20180706_005753.jpg

20180706_005902.jpg

The Intellivision site has a 1982 catalog pictured which is mostly the same as mine (a different cover and a slightly different game list) but it gives no info about where or what it originates from.

Those mini catalogs came with every cartridge. Since 1981 is the earliest date I don't think the earliest cartridges from 1979-80 had them. The Canadian cartridges definitely did not come with catalogs. The mini catalogs are different than the full sized dealer catalogs. Some Intellivoice cartridges came with an Intellivoice game pamphlet rather than a catalog.

Edit:

I think the ECS computer module not starting without a cartridge inserted is a bug with the firmware and not an error with the documentation. Since they can't fix the firmware they had to put it in the errata sheets.

Edited by mr_me

That's how mine is, maybe I ended up with the same one. :lol:

:LOL! Post a picture, I can tell you if it is or not. My father has a very peculiar handwriting style.

-dZ.

Those mini catalogs came with every cartridge. Since 1981 is the earliest date I don't think the earliest cartridges from 1979-80 had them. The Canadian cartridges definitely did not come with catalogs. The mini catalogs are different than the full sized dealer catalogs. Some Intellivoice cartridges came with an Intellivoice game pamphlet rather than a catalog.

I'm surprised I'm not overrun with them. Though I guess they just threw out the duplicates.

Thanks! I was hesitant to make another post in the ebay thread, especially since I don't expect these to be of any interest. But since I'm already in the process of posting all my games, I figured I'd give these a chance before tossing them out.

Edited by zmbdog

Edit:

I think the ECS computer module not starting without a cartridge inserted is a bug with the firmware and not an error with the documentation. Since they can't fix the firmware they had to put it in the errata sheets.

It's actually the hardware design and not the firmware. A cartridge is needed to loopback the BC1, BC2, and BDIR signals from pins 42, 40, and 38 to pins 32, 34, and 36 (respectively).

• Like 1

Thanks! I was hesitant to make another post in the ebay thread, especially since I don't expect these to be of any interest. But since I'm already in the process of posting all my games, I figured I'd give these a chance before tossing them out.

You started the bidding nice and low. I'm sure someone will want them.

It's actually the hardware design and not the firmware. A cartridge is needed to loopback the BC1, BC2, and BDIR signals from pins 42, 40, and 38 to pins 32, 34, and 36 (respectively).

okay thanks. The keyboard component must do the loopbacks.

Probably not then. I wouldn't call it peculiar so much as standard bad handwriting. Not dissimilar to mine actually. :|

20180706_053411.jpg

Hmmm... My father does indeed have "bad handwriting," peculiar was just a euphemism. ;)

However, that one doesn't strike me as being it. The print is too straight, he tends to write in print, but very slanted.