IGNORED

Atari /Commodore/ TI99 Video output pin compatibility

seastalker

So I'm testing a TI99 I just got. It came with an RF adapter but even my portable tvs dont have the connection or adapters are a pain. I looked up the video output and some people claim to make video cables that are compatible with Atari 8 bit, Commodore, and TI99. The 5 pin din LOOKS similar but did not want to mess anything up without checking and this news justified a go at it. I have a Commodore monitor with an SVIDEO cable input I run a C64 and 800XL from just fine but the TI99 video out was black.. ok maybe because it is outputting standard yellow RCA jack composite. I have other Atari cables with 5 pin to composite/ rca audio male ends but that also did not work. Does this mean the ti99 I got for a song untested has issues or is there still a video output aspect I may not have considered?

The composite cable with RCA plugs should work. How many plugs are there? Some times there are four, and the color coding is not always correct for the TI. Those made for the TI will be yellow for video and red for audio, if not, the opposite might work.

Asmusr, your link shows a good pin-out comparison.

On a TI99 USA model, pin 5 is not connected, the others match except pin one is 12v power instead on Svideo Luma on the Atari/Commodore. So, If I have the separate power cable plugged in, the TI99 powers on, but I'm using an Atari Commodore video cable, how does the 12v expectation on the TI99 factor in?

Yes, I guess that minor detail is very important. icon_smile.gif I have some Atari/Commodore cables with composite, separate chroma/luma and even one with a S-video connector. I'll experiment a bit and report back.

likely that cable is more than 5 pins the extra connections may be hooked to 12v

Physically a plug with more than 5 pins won't fit into a jack with only 5 pins like the TI has. The S-video cable for the Atari 800XL would fit, while the S-video cable for the C64 won't. Composite video cables for either will both fit and work, assuming the TI isn't broken.