IGNORED

Where can I get a SIO2PC-USB

xucaen

This one from Lotharek works fantastic for me, using with AspeQt and RespeQt for Windows: https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=108

He also lists them via e-Bay if you prefer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/183288515884

Add a Side2 cart to your order while you're at it too.

Edited by Nezgar

I have bought from Lotharek and Steve (AtariMax) and have great success with each. That being said, Steve is a very busy individual and does not have as much time to dedicate to AtariMax. Other people have stated long delays in e-mails and tracking numbers, but he still gets the product out. Those of you in the US might get an order quicker than from Lotharek, as he is in Poland. But you can not go wrong with either seller. Both are first class.

• Like 2

FWIW. A lot of folks like RespeQt. I've used it and think it is good, but it still is missing some of the features of APE, the most significant of which is the virtual MX-80 printer for printing Atascii. Plus reading and writing to PC directories. (Pretty sure RespeQt is still read-only.) But alas, you have to pay some $$ to get the features in APE from the registered software. I've had APE since the 90's, and never, ever regretted the expenditure. P.S. I've bought several items from Lotharek -- great products. The only issue is the shipping cost -- $18 per order, IIRC.

-Larry

• Like 1

FWIW. A lot of folks like RespeQt. I've used it and think it is good, but it still is missing some of the features of APE, the most significant of which is the virtual MX-80 printer for printing Atascii. Plus reading and writing to PC directories...

APE also has an "R:" handler, and can use the VAPI.DLL for using ATX image files.

Plus you get Prosystem, which is no small addition either.

• Like 2

APE also has an "R:" handler, and can use the VAPI.DLL for using ATX image files.

Plus you get Prosystem, which is no small addition either.

The fact that it's $50 and Windows-only makes it a non-starter for a lot of folks, me included. $20 - $25 and I'd have bought it years ago. My dealings with Steve have been pleasant over the years, if perfunctory. And I do like his repro OSS carts and Happy boards, and I think they're priced very fairly. I just think APE/ProSystem is a bit too pricey for me.

As it is, RespeQt running on a $10 RPiZeroW handles most of my file transfer needs great when physical media won't cut it. And $25 worth of parts is building me a SDrive-MAX in the next week or two to see about ATX support. *shrug*

The fact that it's $50 and Windows-only makes it a non-starter for a lot of folks, me included. $20 - $25 and I'd have bought it years ago... I just think APE/ProSystem is a bit too pricey for me.

As it is, RespeQt running on a $10 RPiZeroW handles most of my file transfer needs great when physical media won't cut it...

AspeQt/RespeQt is a nice piece of software and I can get by with it on most days of the week.

It just feels incomplete compared to APE/Prosystem. Hopefully someone will pick up the torch

again.

AspeQt/RespeQt is a nice piece of software and I can get by with it on most days of the week.

It just feels incomplete compared to APE/Prosystem. Hopefully someone will pick up the torch

again.

I agree - RespeQt works great for 90% of what I want to do. The remaining 10% would be R: support, some kind of P: support better than an unformatted text window, and ATX support. But that's the nature of the open-source beast. When the moving force(s) get distracted or just too busy, the project languishes. So instead of R: emulation through RespeQt, I dug through one of my boxes and found a P:R:Connection I'd forgotten I have. Hooked it, found a copy of PRC.SYS on the interwebs, bought a used Lantronix box from eBay and then a NOS CX-88 Terminal Cable and solved the problem that way. But there's still no good work-around in RespeQt for printer emulation. Too bad - the community is crying out for some kind of Epson dot-matrix support for fun stuff like THE PRINT SHOP signs and banners, old-fashioned expanded and oversized text, etc.

And finally, as for ATX support, I've assembled an SDrive-MAX and once my cable is put together in a day or two, I'll have a work-around for at least some ATX file support. Since that project is on GitHub as well, I'm hoping if/when someone picks up the ball with RespeQt, they can make use of the ATX support code and find a way to work it in or adapt it as well. :)

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 2

I use RespeQt daily at divisor 0 with a FTDI USB cable I bought for about $6.00 that I soldered to an SIO plug. It works great for most day to day operation. It's also nice to have A.P.E around for special occasions, but I really don't use it much.

RespeQt's PCLink works so well. I can back up my Incognito 800 easily now to a Windows hard disk.

• Like 1

Some time back, I ran into a problem with my laser printer, so I started looking for a new one. Lots of nice, cheap candidates, but none of them have a parallel port where I can plug in my P:R Connection. Pretty much Ethernet or USB, or nothing.

Not good for the home team...

But, Steve nicely added a Print RAW function to APE that just passes everything directly to the printer USB port. Now, I can send all those nice PCL codes to the printer with my Atari - didn't even have to modify my existing code.

Nice added value.

Bob

• Like 6

It's true you sure do get a good deal more than meets the eye with APE... Imagic, Pro-System, add ons, and very nice support of image types..

Don't forget the APE loader menu system you get with it, so you don't even need to mount one .XEX, etc. file at a time like with AspeQT (never used RespQT), with a mirror directory ready on APE, you just turn on you Atari as usual for loading disks and get a page-flipping menu with every .XEX, .com, etc., you have in the mirror. And Remote Control to change out drives/mirrors on your Atari, so no need to even go to the PC at all, it can be tucked away and never touched once APE is up and running! It's light years ahead of AspeQT (again, never tried RespeQT-no need with APE!) and my guess RespeQT too. Well worth every penny and I say to those without APE, you are missing out BIG TIME.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

Ahem... note that RespeQt (and AspeQt before it) has a client-side app for swapping images from the Atari. RespeQt's client app is even open-source. ;)

This would be like swapping ATR images and such with the APE Remote Control commands?

In other words, one can use the APE Remote Control commands to mount and dismount images, create new ATR images, change PC Mirror directories, read the PC directory contents, etc. These are SIO commands that APE interprets to perform specific functions. (Of course, not open source and pretty sure these are only in the registered version.)