IGNORED

Atari 130XE monitor cable - red => video, yellow => audio?

rcgldr

I have an Atari 130XE with a monitor cable with 4 RCA type plugs:

red => composite video output

yellow => audio output

black => ?

white => ?

Is this a non-standard cable that I have? The color choices seem unusual considering yellow is normally used for composite video output.

I'm using a Sony KV1311CR that also has an analog RGB connector that also allows it to be used as a color monitor for the Atari ST using a special monitor cable. Resolution is 640x480.

The standard colour coding - at least in relation to the Commodore 1084S and similar monitors - is:

Red: Chroma

Yellow: Luma/CVBS

Black: R/Audio

White: L/Audio

These may actually be the assignments on your cable. It's a little confusing, though, especially if you want a cable with Y/C and composite connectors, since you'd need an extra connector for CVBS.

The standard colour coding - at least in relation to the Commodore 1084S and similar monitors - is:

Red: Chroma

Yellow: Luma/CVBS

Black: R/Audio

White: L/Audio

These may actually be the assignments on your cable. It's a little confusing, though, especially if you want a cable with Y/C and composite connectors, since you'd need an extra connector for CVBS.

The assignments are as I listed in my first post. It's a working setup, but the colors are unusual. The KV1311CR doesn't have a s-video input, just RF (analog TV), composite video and a single audio input, analog RGB (40 pin? connector that works with Atari ST), and digital RGB (unusual shape 8 small angled slot connector, which I never used).

Does anyone know if it is straightforward enough to make your own AV cable?

I thought cut up an S-video cable, a composite cable and add a 5-pin DIN plug but i seem to recall that some shop-bought ones have a discreet component added to improve the signal.

Has anyone made one before or know any details?

Cheers

It really is that simple. Just find some good pinouts, paying special attention to whether the pinout is of the plug or the socket, which are mirror images of each other.

Ideally you want to use 75 ohm cable for the video signals.

Edited by JR>

I have one of those cables, bought from either B&C or Best Electronics decades ago, But a year or two ago I set that old cable aside and replaced it with a RIX Breakout Box from More Than Games. They have other cables and peripheral goodies as well like and HDMI B.O.B. coming soon. The original Atari 8-bit B.O.B. that I have plugs into the monitor jack and has composite, S-video, Chroma/Lumina and RCA audio out.

http://morethangames.a8maestro.com

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

DIN5 to 4xRCA cables have been used in different applications for years before Atari introduced the 800. I don't know if the color coding on the RCA connectors was ever standardized but the cables have been around since at least the 60s when DIN5 ports were used in some audio amplifiers and tape decks, the color coding may be leftover from this usage.

Lets not forget that these item are pre the so called universal connector or SCART (euro wise) and basically you wired how you liked with a bare minimum rough guide for industry folks to follow (if they liked), also video systems seemed to vary in what was needed depending on tv system.

Twas the very dawn of throw away electronics to come , items that could be conveyor built fast, cheaply and with as little construction variation between country as possible to make them easily portable.....Quality was about to nose dive while abilities were about to start sharply rising.

Paul...