IGNORED

Geneve video connector converter to DSUB9

Shift838

While I was working on the SCART-Genie it occurred to me that some Geneve users may have a RGB monitor that takes a direct 9 pin connection and do not have the cable for it or like me just can't solder DIN connectors for cables!

I drew up a quick PCB that will convert the 8 pin Geneve Video/sound pinouts to a standard DSUB 9 Male pinout. I matched the pin numbers, 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc. PCB size is 38 x 33 mm.

it would require a standard straight through 8 pin male to male DIN cable and then of course the 9 pin DSUB cable. It could also be used to replace the current 8 pin DIn connector on the geneve by using removing the old connector and resoldering this in it's place with some header pins. Then the Geneve'r would only need the DSUB9 cable.

I have not ordered any and wanted to know if this is of interest to any Geneve users?

post-35187-0-27849400-1530995893.jpg

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

The problem is that many RGB monitors with DB9 connector have a different pin assignment.

You are right, this device would just allow someone to be able to solder something other than DIN connectors. I know many monitors have different pin assignments but this would at least allow users to make cables easier for their specific monitor.

Edited by Shift838

As it will be necessary to make solders, create directly an adaptateur with a DIN connector in one side and a DB9 connector on the other side seems to me a more simple solution. And all the connexions are protected.

db9-male-solder-kit-1109sk-m-3.jpg

8-pin-din-male-solder-connector-270-degr

I made two cables for my Geneve 9640: to connect a Nec Multisync and a Commodore 1085 monitors.

That said, the little pcb you are thinking about already exists, there are many models like this one:

11010BREAKOUTBOARDFORSERIALDB9.jpg

• 1 year later...

final result and it works great.  I have been able to integrate this and use it with my GBSVGA Genie EVPC with use on the Geneve too!

PM me if you want to reserver yours with quantity.  they will come prebuilt.  not sure of price yet, depends on how many I need to buy.

It just plugs into the geneve.  a custom cable of course will need to be soldered for use with your 9 pin monitor.  i have mapped the db9 on the unit to the exact pin mappings of the geneve, so 1 is 12v, 2 is ground, etc.

IMG-0960.JPG

IMG-0961.JPG

• Like 1