IGNORED

LumaFix for the C64 (fwd)

(Ray wants to spread the word on this.)

----------------------- Original Message -----------------------
Subject: LumaFix
Date: Fri, July 6, 2018 1:23 pm
----------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed nothing about heat sinks was mentioned in the instructions for installation of a Lumafix module. Running a VIC chip with no sink will destroy it. Notice ALL C64's including the SX have a sink on the VIC. One guy said he installed a Lumafix, and his computer kept shutting down. The VIC was of course overheating after the original metal shield was removed. There are other IC's that need protection, and excessive heat will shorten their lives as well. A few weeks ago I installed Lumafix for a customer in his white case C64C (long board, not a true C short board) and I fabricated and installed a sink for the VIC.

...I put up some info with photos on my website in the C64 directory under Lumafix.

http://personalpages.tds.net/%7Ercarlsen/cbm/c64/LUMAFIX/

Ummmm... not to question the Great Ray, but I have run numerous VICs without heat-sinks, and some 64 boards come without the VIC prison cage, let alone heat sinks, which there are pictures of in his link above.

Thus, I am left confused. Does he mean using the LumaFix requires a heat sink on the VIC?

• 2 weeks later...

Ummmm... not to question the Great Ray, but I have run numerous VICs without heat-sinks, and some 64 boards come without the VIC prison cage, let alone heat sinks, which there are pictures of in his link above.

Thus, I am left confused. Does he mean using the LumaFix requires a heat sink on the VIC?

The 64s without the cage use the RF shield that goes over the entire motherboard as a heat sink.

However I agree it is very possible to run a VIC without and probably varies by revision and packaging (ceramic, plastic, etc.)

The 64s without the cage use the RF shield that goes over the entire motherboard as a heat sink.

However I agree it is very possible to run a VIC without and probably varies by revision and packaging (ceramic, plastic, etc.)

Good point. I (ashamedly) forgot about that RF shield.