Sign in to follow this  
fdr4prez

Blaze Retro Joystick and Handheld units

I was searching eBay for some more Jakks plug-n-play joysticks and paddle systems when I stumbled on two listings for a pre-order Blaze Joystick that looks very similar to the Jakks version, and a pre-order for a Blaze Handheld unit.

http://blazeretro.com/

The ebay listings say they are from Australia. If you go to their site and click "read more", they sell through a UK site.

Unfortunately, their site says "This product is only available to purchase outside of the US/NA regions"

Overall they are more pricey than the older Jakks version, but there are more games included.

They have some neat t-shirts, too.

Has anyone heard of these guys before?

post-43396-0-80501000-1531025243.jpg

post-43396-0-33353200-1531025257.jpg

I was searching eBay for some more Jakks plug-n-play joysticks and paddle systems when I stumbled on two listings for a pre-order Blaze Joystick that looks very similar to the Jakks version, and a pre-order for a Blaze Handheld unit.

http://blazeretro.com/

The ebay listings say they are from Australia. If you go to their site and click "read more", they sell through a UK site.

Unfortunately, their site says "This product is only available to purchase outside of the US/NA regions"

Overall they are more pricey than the older Jakks version, but there are more games included.

They have some neat t-shirts, too.

Has anyone heard of these guys before?

blaze-joystick.jpg

blaze-handheld.jpg

Yeah the portable is something that people preordered quite a while back. I think it was suppose to come out in December of last year, then February, and I think most recently June.

It is another example of an Atari product not making the light of day. I wouldn't preorder until it makes it out. The joystick I have no clue.

The joystick I have no clue.

The Stick did come out, and from what I've heard it's your standard Plug and Play, nothing spectacular but gets the job done.

The Stick did come out, and from what I've heard it's your standard Plug and Play, nothing spectacular but gets the job done.

The site says pre-order and stock will be in August.

I am curious on how awkward it would be to use the secondary fire button on top of the stick.

Unfortunately they don't want to ship to US/NA region, and the price is kind of high.

I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but in the UK blaze was the overriding seller branding name put on some atgames devices such as the SMS/GG combo unit and some earlier of the genesis stuff too. I haven't kept up with it having no reason but it was that many years ago, so maybe it's the same group doing their old shell over some common guts.

Just a little proof -- https://segaretro.org/Blaze_Europe

Edited by Tanooki

Just got my Blaze Atari 2600 handheld, powered it on, played a game and then of course broke out the screwdriver. Heres pictures of the internals.

IMG 6857

FullSizeRender

Has an unexposed micro usb connector. Once I get home I'll hook it up and see what I get.

Edited by sflimey

The USB port is wired up enough to power the device. Attaching it to both a Mac or PC does not show it as a mountable device though.

I can mount the ATARI handheld on windows 10 while powered with batteries via usb-micro slot. The device is called "ProtectExecuter". The drive is only 60kb big and inside there is a file called "setting.bin". I opened that file with HxD and there is the following text:

d:\apps\

While USB attached on the display there is a text in chinese which means something like "usb not connected...".

setting.bin

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z608gf5g9rmmv6g/setting.bin

post-46158-0-92977900-1545859822_thumb.jpg

Edited by teller

Yay, finally approved to post!

So I wanted to ask, as it has been really hard to find a good review of this is - how is the dpad and buttons on the Blaze portable? I've held off getting an Atari Flashback Portable, as it sounded like the dpad was seriously screwed up.

This has much nicer aesthetics than the Portable, but can't load games, but if the dpad and buttons are good, maybe it is worth it?

Edited by SpaceCowboy850