IGNORED

Tempest With A Rotary Controller

RugglesTx

Just fired up Tempest today on the Jaguar, difference being the new rotary controller picked up off of eBay recently.

Its not a world of difference playing with it, more like a universe of difference. Wow does it control better. Just a entirely new game IMO. Very nice!

If you are thinking of getting one do...very worth it. Mine is the one with the rotary on the bottom and it feels very natural to use it that way.

• Like 4

The only downside of the rotary I can think of is that if yours doesn't have detents, it's a bit more difficult to select a specific lane.

But on the other hand, it makes moving around the web so much quicker and easier. It's no wonder why the original Tempest arcade used a spinner.

What makes you prefer the D-pad?

Mine does not have the detente. It would make it easier to click from lane to lane in the game if it did. That being said it still performs better for me that the D Pad.

Plus when it gets hairy then Im able to just spin the rotary and fire away and go down in a blaze of glory!!

157225l.jpg

Match made in heaven.

Edited by RugglesTx
  • Like 1

I have a Chaos Reigns rotary and I've played Tempest extensively on the Jag as well as on a traditional arcade machine... I always put up better scores on the Jag with the regular d pad. It's very odd but true.

Same here :)

It's more *fun* with a rotary, but its easier to play with a d-pad :D

I'd love to have a rotary for Tempest... just don't know if I want to spend the money... I feel it's gotta be better than the d-pad...

I felt the same way but dived in anyways. It is a totally different game to me now. Its worth it if you really like Tempest.

The rotary controller works with other games as well. So its not a one game purchase if that makes sense.

The Atari Age store has a version with the rotary on the front and one with the rotary on the back. Is there any real advantage/disadvantage to having it on the back? I have a spare controller already, so I'm not worried about the D-Pad being there or not.

Also, does either of the Atari Age store options have detents?

Ive never used a controller with the rotary on the front. The one I bought was I the navk and it is perfectly natural to hold the controller upside down and use it that way for me.

My rotary is a free spinning model, does not click as it rotates when I use it. I would think for a game like Tempest the clicking version would be better. But Im not sure.

Where do I get one that clicks?

Not sure. I think the gentleman who built mine builds both varieties.

I purchased mine off eBay. Read the description and it speaks about the clicking.

He also has some oddball Jaguar carts for sale.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-Rotary-Duo-Controller-For-Tempest-2000-T2K-Backmount/283017927724?hash=item41e52edc2c%3Ag%3Ais4AAOxyXWdQ7vfp&_sacat=0&_nkw=jaguar+rotary+controller&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1312.R1.TR5.TRC0.A0.H0.X.TRS5

Edited by RugglesTx

I did offer detented encoders for a while, but I found that it gets confusing after a while, as the webs arent all the same size. On the smaller webs, some segments can be between 2 detent sections, making it difficult to stay in that lane. Plus, the detented 24ppr encoders that I had werent super great quality.