IGNORED

IRATA.ONLINE - PLATOTerm for Apple II successful bring-up!

tschak909

IRATA.ONLINE news for Apple II users: As of a few minutes ago, the Apple II version of the PLATOTerm software, which is required to use the service, successfully came up, for the first time.

It still has the splash screen for the Commodore 64 version, A new splash screen for Apple II will be done shortly. (This is actually being rendered using the PLATO decoder in the terminal, so this is indicative of an actual PLATO display on the Apple II.

This program is written in C and compiled with CC65. This is how one codebase can literally target multiple systems simultaneously, namely Apple II, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, and Atari 8-bit. (I would do versions for the ORIC machines, and the VIC-20, but they don't have a sufficient number of horizontal pixels).

The font needs work, and I'll get to that, but this is a successful first run. I will post more as soon as I map the keyboard and work through the serial and ethernet routines.

post-9462-0-74709300-1531096405_thumb.png

-Thom

• Like 1

The Apple II version of PLATOTerm, the terminal program for IRATA.ONLINE, has successfully connected to the service and is able to navigate and use services.

The current driver provided is for the Super Serial Card (and its many variants) running in slot 2, assumed to be attached to a WIFI modem. Hardware flow control is essential, and should be enabled.

Still so much to do, both in the Apple II system specific code, and the global code (character set loading is up next to be implemented), and I will be doing more in-progress videos in short order. But I wanted to get this out there so you guys could see it working. 1f642.png:)

-Thom

• 3 weeks later...

A public alpha release of PLATOTerm is available for Commodore 64 and Apple II users to connect to both http://www.irata.online/ and CYBER1.ORG.

Download links available on site. Preliminary documentation for Apple II users is in the release notes. Commodore 64 users can use documentation linked in the previous pre-release.

You will need a C64, or Apple II with appropriate serial port hardware and WI-FI modem.

If you can, please test, and provide feedback!

• 8 months later...