IGNORED

Alpiner: What gives?

Opry99er

This game has been killing me. I started practicing so I could work my way up to a speed run of the first 6 through Everest.... I've already taken probably two hours of video of my play time, and I still can't summit Everest...

It seems like there is a random number generator setting the locations of obstacles and controlling the falling rocks, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of distinguishable pattern from run to run.... I was hoping to find a "seed consistency", but nothing.

What am I missing here? I'm using good sticks on a real console, and I feel like I'm wasting my time because it is so random....

Those of you who are "good" at this game.... What am I missing?

i consider myself pretty good at Alpiner, but i have a lot of variable luck with Everest. I'd say 75% of the time that's where my game ends.

If someone else could find the pattern that'd be cool, but as far as I can see it's just pure dumb luck- you either get a 'good' map or you get a really crappy one then the Snowman knocks you off at the top ;)

Usually what I do is hug the sides of the screens to negate the rockslides somewhat, but that doesn't do any good if the trees are generated on the sides, lol. i just can't move fast enough diagonally to avoid rocks/etc in relation to the stumps and trees.

My tactic in the old days was ALWAYS to hug the edge and always have my guy be on one half of each edge. This gave you a bit more reaction time to dodge the falling objects by going left or right away from them.

I personally suspect, though, that the code has the occasional "directly where the player is" action, because once I saw the rock falls come LITERALLY down the split in perfect alignment with my current position. Which is really unfair; there's NO way to dodge them, especially on higher levels when they're so fast.

It's really too bad there were some poor game design choices made, because otherwise Alpiner really stands out as a unique arcade game title for the TI with a lot of great bells and whistles including above-average graphics, speech, and music.

Also, the abominable snowman looks SO stupid, Like a kid's drawing.

• Like 1

My tactic in the old days was ALWAYS to hug the edge and always have my guy be on one half of each edge. This gave you a bit more reaction time to dodge the falling objects by going left or right away from them.

I personally suspect, though, that the code has the occasional "directly where the player is" action, because once I saw the rock falls come LITERALLY down the split in perfect alignment with my current position. Which is really unfair; there's NO way to dodge them, especially on higher levels when they're so fast.

It's really too bad there were some poor game design choices made, because otherwise Alpiner really stands out as a unique arcade game title for the TI with a lot of great bells and whistles including above-average graphics, speech, and music.

Also, the abominable snowman looks SO stupid, Like a kid's drawing.

lol-

post-52262-0-52308800-1531151464.png

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

Not sure the forum rules on commenting on a 5 year old thread, but I have a followup/quesiton.  When I was very young, I played this to death and beat Everest a couple times.  

Here I am, 40 years later... and I saw a mention in Wikipedia that there are 18 levels.  Does anyone know if the game is beatable?  It seems to mention 3 rounds of 6 mountains in the manual, but omg... now I'm dying to see if this thing can be beat.  I can't imagine getting through all 6 mountains a second time, let alone a third.

@sureshoe I made a hardware device to save the complete state of my TI (like Action Reply) and used it while playing Alpiner a few weeks ago (strictly for testing purposes :)).  I was able to get up to level 13 with all my boots remaining, by restarting when I died:

ATopScore.thumb.png.c662f0c6756413ee20c578b8e23a7da9.png

Now, since the complete state of the machine was being saved, I could remember the random numbers being used on each level, up until this point...  It didn't help that there was a tree and fire that made me have to go up the middle...  But I can assure you, after trying this spot a lot of times, every 2nd drop of ice/snow was no longer random and it dumped directly on you.

Sorry to be a party pooper!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sureshoe said:

@HOME AUTOMATION So being serious for a minute > level 18 EXISTS, which I'm not surprised if the game loops endlessly.  But is there a Level 19 (meaning it loops indefinitely), or does it actually end at level 18.  I believe my legit younger self got to level 9.

It looks indefinitely. I did a cheat video some years back and ran through the levels over and over.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 8:42 PM, JasonACT said:

@HOME AUTOMATION That's cheating!  Oh, wait...

No ...This is cheating...:D

4 hours ago, sureshoe said:

...does it actually end at level 18.

I used Tursi's DEBUGGER, to put my player closer to the top...

>8342 Counts down towards the top.

>8328 Sets the level. Though the difficulty is separate.

Last level is 255...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...