IGNORED

jaguar needs more 3d games

roashru

There's plenty great-looking flatshaded games on various arcade boards. And they're really fun too.

None of which ever made it to Jaguar, unfortunately. Early 3D doesn't have to look like crap, if you bypass grainy texturing, those games still look great today (unlike early PS1 games with grainy textures).

True, flat shaded polys with bright Colors and good contrast are still Looking rather nicely. The pixelated 4 Color mess of early texmaps did not age very well.

Edited by agradeneu

As far as I know, the most praised Dreamcast homebrews have been 2D shooters.

My limited experience with the DC Homebrew/Indie scene has been features in the likes of Gamestm magazine,YT video's if the hosts i have on subscription cover them or in the past, if they pass any onto me.

The stuff that was passed on was mainly Beats Of Rage Mods..or Bullet Hell stuff...the latter not my thing.

Appreciate the heads up.

So..if people aren't that fussed for 3D on Dreamcast...really can't see why the Jaguar hardware is seen by some as being under used...

Just a personal observation.

I think the point is, that people wish to see some unfulfilled potential in the Jag. Although I must say I was very pleased with some of the 3D games. I never felt anything was missing from Iron Soldier for example, an when they came up with the second one with nicer and more textures I was still impressed. But anyway...

Everyone knows the Dreamcast can do 3D titles and there are plenty great ones around so it doesn't need to be proven and they do whatever they like and it is fine.

Here people expect that someone will come up with something we haven't seen yet on the Jag 3Dwise.

• Like 1

I agree it would been great with more 3D games.

Probably few of 3D games on the Jaguar since 3D games like Cybermorph need larger crew, much more time and higher cost than 2D Zool. Don't forget that Jag was a super-fail system....

Jaguar competed pretty much with 3D of this wave-length:

And then came the PS1

If all the code guys at this forum all of a sudden could get along, they wouldn't be a staff enough to make a 3D before you and I die since: "Probably few of 3D games on the Jaguar since 3D games like Cybermorph need larger crew, much more time and higher cost than 2D Zool. Don't forget that Jag was a super-fail system...." Edited by Atlantis
  • Like 1

what ?

No limits you say? Only imagination is the limit, you say?
I still call out for Berzerk 3D FPS based on I-war code.

unknown to most arcade frenzy

midwest then

Edited by roashru

@PeterG:I hear what your saying, but for a machine from that odd, in between period of hardware:CD32,32X,3DO and Jaguar, the Jaguar did pretty much prove what it was capable of with commercial teams doing 3D games.

The likes Of:Skyhammer, I.S 2, World Tour Racing,Hoverstrike CD etc.

Sure, engines could provably be optimised further and frame rates improved, but i wasn't expecting mythical advances.

When you say people are expecting 3D we haven't yet seen on Jaguar..

Do you mean game types?

Art direction?

Or new benchmarks in performance?.

And who are they expecting to code them?

We seem to be back to the valid points Stage_1_Boss and Sh3-rg brought up at the start of the thread.

The people actually creating/finishing/porting games onto Jaguar, are keen to get games out so they can be played and others have fun with them.

A technically proficient polygon 3D game on Jaguar, plain shaded polygons and all, might tick the technical boxes,but lack the essential fun element.

Can't folks like just celebrate what was done on the Jaguar, despite everything that was stacked against it..embrace what is being released and just have fun?.

It got tiresome reading comments on YT when the latest release from Piko Interactive etc was released and game slammed as it was originally a ST/Amiga title and not 3D at that.

Even though originally it was a curious affair to observe from the side lines.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Is there a wealth of 3D indie/homebrew development on platforms like the Dreamcast?

I recall a nonfunded Kickstarter project and if memory serves correct, it was some kind of an endless runner (or similar). They had 60 fps and nice visuals.

Then again, Dreamcast is basically next-gen dev environment, as you have:

1. DirectX CE

2. Open GL

3. kGL

And a few others. If you factor in high level C, a basic 3D engine on Dreamcast is a question of about a week or two. So, coding for DC is literally like for a PC...

Really, the jaguar is the last platform for extracting the performance from. And it's the last Atari.

• Like 2

A REZ like Shooting game with a mix of wireframe and flat shaded polys plus lots of Pixel effects would be worth a try though.

Oh, I already did an experiment similar to that (well, probably closer to Tempest, but roughly in same style):

Combine that with plenty of 3d meshes (well, there's much more in this vid than the game actually needs):

I would be actually totally willing to work on something like that FULLTIME, if at least 150 carts would be ordered.

Could the jaguar's market support 150 carts of something like REZ ?

• Like 7

I think the Jag could handle this game pretty well.

Man I remember years ago I wanted to do the "Sega SVP" thing on the Atari 7800; basically a cartridge with a dsp on it for the 7800 to do some 3D stuff on that system... I still do in a way. At one time I thought the 7800 could handled limited 3D before I got a little better educated on some stuff; I mean it is possible, just not in the way that I thought and it's probably similar with the 3D stuff I'd like to do with the Jaguar although I'm always looking for ways to get around things if possible, but that's just something/a dream rather that I'm personally chasing and whatever I post sometimes have a lot to do with my own personal opinions and doesn't always reflect others; I'm still in the learning stages. The beauty about this "I-Robot" arcade system was that it featured the 8bit Motorola 6809 with four 4bit amd 2901 bit slicers on it to do 3D math (Mathbox). Looking up info on the 2901 I've learned a lot about how widely used the chip was in Universities and industry on system that required that extra horsepower before the use of PCs become a household thing.

The good thing about today concerning the Jaguar is the available information out there now that wasn't always as easy to get previously when only a few people really knew how to get most out of the Jaguar, but I think it'll all boil down to the understanding of fundamentals more than anything and for me that would be learning Assembly "where the rubber meets the road", but to each their own; whatever is easier I say go for it. At this point any good game release is better than no game release, but i hope to push the system as far as I can push it and because of that, I have a lot of crazy ideas that probably wouldn't catch on as well as I would like it to as been the case in the past. lol

Edited by philipj
  • Like 1

If they were paying attention you wouldn't be able to post anymore.

and i got blamed by the moderator when my market place thread got high jacked wtf !

serious fun house

Edited by roashru

and i got blamed by the moderator when my market place thread got high jacked wtf !

serious fun house

Well, you lied about not having PayPay and you lied about USPS MOs protecting the buyer. That, in part, is why the mods locked your FS thread.

• Like 4

Well, you lied about not having PayPay and you lied about USPS MOs protecting the buyer. That, in part, is why the mods locked your FS thread.

Yeah, honestly I'm surprised this guy still has an account here. I figured he would have been given the boot after that train wreck of a thread.

Yeah, honestly I'm surprised this guy still has an account here. I figured he would have been given the boot after that train wreck of a thread.

i dont get it is there a point to your post. im not you. collective.

Edited by roashru