IGNORED

Season 7 ~ Final Standings and Awards

Vocelli

Season 7

Final Standings

Congrats to Leto! He Won the Atari 2600 HSC Season 7!

Everyone give him a big HURRAH! ... He was new to the HSC and came on strong from the start!

He will go down in the Atari archives as a champion!

Leto Atari 2600 HSC Season 7 Champion!

Here are the Final standings and Medal Brackets

Gold Medal Bracket

Leto 1334

Stan Jr 1190

KaeruY 1065

Vocelli 1050

SBAZ 1041

Toiletunes 1030

Darthkur 995

Dr Moocowz 954

Silver Medal Bracket

OyamaFamily 944

JasonAtari 887

Scrabbler 858

Lid 845

Spriggamortis 833

LaurenTyler 803

Gtype 771

NovaStar 762

Bronze Medal Bracket

AtariWarlord 752

Nads 726

Sneakyturtleegg 714

Karok 687

Keilbaca 676

HankR 672

AGB 663

Atarian7 609

ClassicGamer 608

Nathan Strum 524

AbelMV 511

5x7 426

DarQM 413

Jblenkle 379

Diamonds 367

DrSpuds 366

HatefulGravey 302

Jablestown 293

SpaceyInvader 282

Nikon 217

BugCatcher 215

Capitan Classic 202

Jeremiah 196

Jin 168

MisterVCS 165

DanielJS 162

RJ 162

VooDoo Chiily 152

RGC 145

MCCallister 140

MrBeefy 129

TheBjork 125

Spiceware 117

Deteacher 103

Zylon 103

Troff 83

WickeyC 68

BallBlazer 66

Roadrunner 56

Ivanstrom 42

Jacobzu7 39

GamerGuy 31

MangiaBoy 30

Lodger 22

Darrin 20

Gorfy 18

TheKobra 16

DJP 4

Season 7 is Over and now it is time to VOTE

You get to pick 2 games per Category

Pick from all games from Season 7 HSC.

Favorite Game from Season 7

(2 games you love to play)

7 - River Raid

5 - Frostbite

5 - Beamrider

4 - Dark Cavern

3 - Skiing

3 - Tunnel Runner

2 - Eggomania

2 - Burger Time

1 - Taz

1 - Sky Jinks

1 - Worm War I

1 - Footbag

1 - Battlezone

1 - Seawolf

1 - Realsports Football

1 - Skiing

Most Surprising Game from Season 7

(2 games you thought was good but you never/rarely ever played it)

8 - Seawolf

5 - River Raid II

4 - Dark Cavern

3 - Beamrider

3 - Squish'em

2 - Tunnel Runner

2 - Rabbit Transit

2 - Worm War i

1 - King Kong

1 - Burgertime

1 - Wizard of Wor

1 - Footbag

1 - Porky's

1 - Red Sea Crossing

1 - Death Trap

1 - Space Chase

1 - Star Wars:ESB

1 - SkyJinks

Worst Game from Season 7

( 2 games you thought were bad and will never play again)

7 - Shark Attack

5 - Peles Soccer

4 - Red Sea Crossing

3 - Night Driver

3 - Space Jockey

2 - Battlezone

2 - Burgertime

2 - Wabbit

2 - Eggomania

1 - Sky Jinks

1 - Beamrider

1 - Discus

1 - Quickstep

1 - RS Football (this was a bonus game this year)

1 - Space Chase

1 - Tunnel Runner

1 - River Raid II

1 - Rampage

1 - King Kong

Post your votes.

We will tally the votes

We will crown some winners!

Voting ends at the end of the Medal Brackets!

Edited by Vocelli
  • Like 8

Congrats to Leto!

And congrats to everyone who played this year. This season had the highest participation of any to date!

On to the voting!

Favorite games:

Frostbite - Always has been and always will be one of my favorite 2600 games.

Eggomania - Love the animation. Love getting to turn the tables on the chicken.

Surprising games:

King Kong - A game I never really gave much of a chance, but being "forced" to spend more time with it, I ended up having fun with it. Not a top ten game or anything, but one I'll go back to.

Seawolf - I'd played this game probably once before this year and kind of wrote it off as a "meh" shooter, but it's really well done and has climbed up my "must buy" homebrew list.

Worst games:

I don't think there's a 2600 games that I will literally never play again, but these were my least favorite of this year's games:

Shark Attack - Cool idea but abysmal execution. The sticky walls feel like they gave up on getting the collision detection to work right and came up with a half-assed explanation for it rather than a planned feature. And they really could've done more with the risk/reward aspect of having to take the gold back to the center to get points for it.

Sky Jinks - Not an awful game, and actually probably my favorite of the "timed obstacle course" Activision games (Skiing, Barnstorming, etc.), but I've never really been a fan of any of those games.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo
  • Like 5

Likewise congrats to Leto and all who played. My 1st season of HSC. Came in at Week 4 ... and had some gr8 Atari fun!

Big thx to Vocelli for keeping us rubbing our hands together for more #pewpew #bangbang #jumpandrun #duckanddodge ;)

Nice to meet you all :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Congrats to Leto, as well! You were extremely dominate at this all season! I have the misfortune of facing off with you in the opening round, but will give it my best shot!

I had a lot of fun participating in the HSC for the first time, as well. For me, sometimes it's hard to sit down with the Atari and be like "I'm gonna play (whatever)!" The HSC gives some structure and a point to trying to get higher and higher scores, as well as trying games I hadn't played before. Hope to continue with it more in the future, too!

Now for the voting...

Favorites

Frostbite - Not a surprise for me (see the avatar!). Believe this is my favorite 2600 game and was thrilled to get to play it in this season!

River Raid - Another classic that's still a lot of fun

Surprises

Beamrider - Hadn't played this one prior to the week we played it, although I've have a mini-goal of collecting all the Activision games you could earn patches for back in the day. (and found a actual cart of it the week after we played it!). A lot going on in this one and think it will be one I'll come back to play again and again.
Dark Cavern - Never played this one prior to the season, but it clicked for me in short order and thought it was a lot of fun!
Worst/Disappointments
Night Driver - I really didn't like playing this one at all (perhaps a working paddle controller would change things?). It was too twitchy of a gameplay for me and wasn't enjoyable.
Shark Attack - Constantly getting snagged onto things got annoying very quickly. Hard pass for playing it in the future. :)
  • Like 4

If I may steal your formatting KaeruYojimbo' ... :-D :thumbsup:

Favorite games:

Beamrider - Gr8 game. Excellent replay value.

Taz - Smashed Asterix bitd and still love it 2day. Hence Taz was a no brainer. Pity I didn't have the cart or a cx40 adapter at the time of playing this gem on Week 15. Got both now though! :grin:

Surprising games:

River Raid II - Never played RRII ever, that was until Week 7. Pleasantly surprised .. after reading the manual that is! Challenging. Loved it. Went and got the cart because of HSC!

Dark Cavern - Another game I've never played. I enjoyed the strategies and pre-emptive playing style required. Fun.

Worst games:

Space Jockey- #killmenow

Red Sea Crossing - #yawn

• Like 2

Has been an amazing season, I really enjoy playing in the HSC along with everybody and pushing my limits to achieve new high scores. I know is really early to say but I am confirming my participation in the next season.

Favorite Game from Season 7

River Raid ( It is one of my all-time favorites )

Dark Cavern, I played this game as a Kid but didn't remember the name

Most Surprising Game from Season 7

Burger Time; I played at arcades and the Atari 2600 version was surprisingly good

Wizard of Wor

Worst Game from Season 7

Night Driver

Peles Soccer

Edited by Leto27
  • Like 2

A big Congrats to Leto! An amazing effort on each game!

Favourite Games : I like the timing one particular Sky Jinks and Skiing

Most surprising: California Games Footbag never played it before and ended loving it. Porkys Revenge another title I'd only heard of, but it was fun and I managed a pretty good score

Worst Game : Definitely battle zone for me, shooting games don't really appeal to me that much. The other was Beamrider

Let's see what the bracket challenges bring!

• Like 2

Congratulations Leto, dominated the whole season.

Favorite Games:

Dark Cavern: A simple shooter i had as a kid and still enjoy.

Eggomania: A great kaboom type game.

Surprising Games:

Seawolf: A great homebrew i had never played before.

Squish Em: Had this on the C64 back in the day, didn't know a 2600 version existed.

Worst Games:

Red Sea Crossing: Ugh

Shark Attack: Buggy and frustrating to play.

• Like 2

Favorites:

River raid

Beam Rider

Best Surprise:

Seawolf

Squish'em

Least favorites:

Pele Soccer

Quick Step

Congrats to Leto for a great season.

Thank you Vocelli for all the hard work you put into this for a fun season.

Edited by agb
  • Like 2

Favorite Games:

Frostbite and Beamrider: Two awesome Activision games. Kind of obvious choices, but they will always be favorites.

honorable mentions: Death Trap, Quick Step, Wizard of Wor, Dark Cavern, and Squish'Em (Which I feel guilty about because it was a game I suggested, and then missed the deadline to post my score)

Surprising Games:

River Raid II. I had never played this before, but I had a blast with it, and am interested in getting a copy for my collection.

Tunnel Runner: This was a recent pickup for me, but I hadn't gotten a chance to play it until now. I really like this game.

Worst Games:

RealSports Football. It's not on your list for some reason, but we played it week 4, and I couldn't score a single point!

Night Driver: I played all my games on emulator this season, and this one was pretty much unplayable

Dishonorable mentions: Shark Attack, Raft Rider, Wabbit

Edited by G-type
  • Like 1

Voting

Cookie Dough Ice Cream.

Favorite Games: I'm always going to love Burgertime. I know it's kind of a mess, but I just love it. Also great, Tunnel Runner. I wish I had more time to play it, I could have done much better.

Pleasant Surprises: Death Trap! Wow! What a game! And Worm War I. I never gave it much of a look, but that's a solid game right there.

Stinkers: Space Chase and Space Jockey. Set both on fire and leave the room.

• Like 1

Big SHOUT OUT to Leto for a spectacular season and a well deserved season championship !!!

You set a new bar of Atari excellence and, around here, that's not easy to do.

Congratulations ! ;-) ;-) ;-) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thoughts on this season's games:

Favorite Games:

Skiing - Always a favorite. I just get immense satisfaction playing whatever the challenge is and playing and playing and playing and then, all of a sudden, shaving 3/100th of a second off my best score.

Dark Cavern - A favorite even from the Intellivision Night Stalker days. The duck and shoot play mechanics, the run for the gun drama and the appropriately increasing level of difficulty all come together to make it a joy for me to play.

Surprising Games:

River Raid II - Had tried this a couple of times, but hadn't really figured it out before. Once I got the plane off the carrier and figured out what a mission was, it turned out to be a pretty fun time.

Seawolf - This was my first time to play this game, so that meant it was going to be a pleasant surprise or surprisingly awful. i'm glad to say it was the former. I had a lot of fun with this one.

Worst Games:

Pele's Soccer: The game is more frustration than fun. That's a bad place to be if you're an Atari game.

Shark Attack: It's not just the sticky turns. It's that the game is full of unfulfilled promise. It could have been a great game.

• Like 4

Here are my votes:

Favorite Games: Frostbite and Worm War I

Surprising Games: River Raid II and Rabbit Transit

Worst Games (games which I didn't enjoy): Battlezone and Tunnel Runner

Congratulations to LETO on winning this 2600 NEW HSC Season. You were spectacular!

First of all, congratulations Leto. Judging the games this year was a tough one -- there was a tendency for them to be really, really good or really, really bad.

Favourites: River Raid, Frostbite. Both were a joy to play throughout their respective weeks.

Surprises: Dark Cavern, Seawolf.

Least Favourite: Oh, where to begin? So many games that could take this "honour." Space Jockey is a solid contender, but my engagement with it was limited to one night of achieving the official "rollage." I'm going to have to say Shark Attack and Eggomania. Shark Attack has little to no redeeming qualities, while Eggomania was just an exercise in frustration.

I didn’t participate in the entire season (and still almost made it into the Bronze medal bracket somehow :roll: ), but of the games I did play:

Favorite games:

Seawolf - One of my favorite homebrews anyway, and the only week I came in first. ;)
RealSports Football - Okay, hear me out on this one... I had never played this before, but found I enjoyed it in the same sadistic way I enjoy Activision Hockey and RealSports Volleyball, and that is: "How many points can I destroy the other team by?" :D
Surprising games:
River Raid II - Never played it before. I thought it was a worthy follow up to River Raid. Makes me wish I'd bought it back-in-the-day (although I'm not sure I ever knew about it).
Dark Cavern - Never played this before, either - it kind of grew on me. I always felt I had a chance to improve whenever I played it, and I like that.
Worst games:
Burger Time - Sluggish controls, hateful collision detection. This was an agonizing grind every time I played it.
Wabbit - Past a certain point the game is about luck, not skill.
I'm sure if I'd stuck around longer, there would've been some different answers. Maybe next year.
Speaking of next year - I had a thought... how about an "Amnesty Week"? This would be a week (or weeks) later in the season where people who had missed previous weeks would get a second chance to submit scores for games they were missing. It should probably be on some sort of reduced point scale, but it might encourage people to keep participating even if they had to miss some games because of work, school, vacation, etc.