IGNORED

Blind user with mysterious MAME cartridge.

jenorton

Hi:

I've got a mysterious cart that doesn't sound right. Probably doesn't look right but I cannot see the screen.

Found this image on Emuparadise.me and wonder what it really is.

It was labeled as Ms. Pacman 1982 h1, but, the music it plays sounds like the Pacman tune. Also, there is a siren sound not present in the original Ms. Pacman cartridge--and definitely not there in the original Pacman cart.

Is this a hack of Ms. Pacman, or, did someone do a later better Pacman for the 2600 and it just got mislabeled?

I'm going to ask someone sighted around here what it looks like, but, maybe one of you knows what this is.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Ms. Pac-Man (1982) (Atari) h1.bin

• Like 1

I've got a mysterious cart that doesn't sound right. Probably doesn't look right but I cannot see the screen.

I'm going to ask someone sighted around here what it looks like, but, maybe one of you knows what this is.

I'm going to ask this as tactfully as I know possible for me:

Do you play Atari (or other) games? If so how?

If not, do you listen to games often? Is Atari better than others?

Sorry for all the questions.

Hi:

I can understand your question and it is not a problem mom bought a 2600 back in 1982 or so and I used to like some of the game sounds. I could even do a little batting with Real Sports Baseball because I can hear when the pitcher pitches the ball. However, I can't do much with an Atari or most other mainstream game machines, I do like the sounds and I have family members who are sighted and might like to play some time. So, I was looking around and noticed this weird cartridge. I did know a girl who is also blind to whom I gave my Ms. Pacman cartridge I used to have because she wanted to try to learn the maze by the sound of the dots being eaten.

With the arcade version of Pacman, I have figured out how to go get a power pellet. It is a little harder with the 2600 version of Pacman, but, Atari did a better job, from what I understand on Ms. Pacman and Jr. Pacman.

Again, it's not a big deal, but, my kids might like to look at some things, so that's why I am curious.

• Like 3

mom bought a 2600 back in 1982 or so and I used to like some of the game sounds.

I find this fascinating, because my favourite game sounds come from that era as well: pinball machines, arcade games, early home consoles. I still find these sounds interesting to listen to today, but I’ve always wondered if this is simply due to their association with happy memories of playing the games, or whether there is some intrinsically satisfying quality to the raw bleeps and bloops that has been lost in modern games.