IGNORED

Any Lynxers for ejagfest 3-4 November?

karri

I went once (10 years ago... ouch), this is not a pure 100% Jaguar convention, there was also computers (Atari, Amiga), VCS and Lyx. Spoke with Matthias Domin about Jag and Lynx dev, Bernd and Matashen used to go also. It is really a nice event.

Last year, I saw awesome pics of Jan Selanski work for Luchs Software, and I guess that Der Luchs was also here.

There is always a ComLynx Checkered Flag contest.

While typing this, I start to think that it would be great to go again this year

And next time in 2028 :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I might have a secret project worth comlynxing by then

As a matter of fact I am already playtesting my eJagfest game (It will be a real time action game to spice up the party at eJagfest.). If you (or someone else) has cool ideas we could join forces for a cart release. I still lack two music tunes for the game. One should be some up-beat kind of tune that fits frantic action (loops forever). The other should be some kind of tune with a lonely melody that fits strolling around looking for things (loops forever). Both tunes need to be 3 channels only (Chipper-based). Any takers? My game will not eat out too much cart space.

I know that people do not like limited time releases. But trying to produce old carts years after they were published is a bit of a problem. My guess is that this eJagfest cart will be a limited time release also. But in order to share the excitement it will most likely be published here as well for SD cart users. My eJagfest game does not rely on an eeprom.

I'm a long time E-JagFest visitor and I always enjoyed it. All Atari systems (2600, 7800, Lynx, Jaguar, 8-bit, ST) are usually represented and often non Atari systems as well like the Nuon or other retro systems.

But this year my wife and I are expecting a new Atari player with an expected delivery date of 3 November so I think I have to skip this year :P

• Like 2

I'm afraid I can't help out on the music/SFX part.

I've been set back a lot due to a cascade of health issues lately, but I'm trying to spend some time on a turn-based strategy game. Would like to see (Com)Lynx Wars to be a thing :)

That is ok. I hope you get your health issues fixed.

Today I met sage in Helsinki and we strolled around the city and discussed also Wyvern tales. We agreed that the game has a flaw... It is too short. As you already have the game engine done it could be nice to make a sequel. What about a 512k cart this time?

• Like 1

That is ok. I hope you get your health issues fixed.

Today I met sage in Helsinki and we strolled around the city and discussed also Wyvern tales. We agreed that the game has a flaw... It is too short. As you already have the game engine done it could be nice to make a sequel. What about a 512k cart this time?

Good that you mention this :cool:

I have some issues compiling the 512kb template from Peg Solitaire, can't seem to find a good version of cc65 to compile it. I've sent you an email regarding this a while ago but haven't received an answer yet

In order to compile for different cart sizes you need to change only one parameter in cart/lynx.cfg

SYMBOLS {
    __BLOCKSIZE__: value = 1024, type = export; # 1024 bytes / block

512 = 128K cart

1024 = 256K cart

2048 = 512K cart

The default bootloader in cc65 will take care of any cart size. If you want to use your own bootloader you need to compile and encrypt it for every cart size by yourself.

All cc65 versions should support this.

In order to compile for different cart sizes you need to change only one parameter in cart/lynx.cfg

SYMBOLS {
    __BLOCKSIZE__: value = 1024, type = export; # 1024 bytes / block

512 = 128K cart

1024 = 256K cart

2048 = 512K cart

The default bootloader in cc65 will take care of any cart size. If you want to use your own bootloader you need to compile and encrypt it for every cart size by yourself.

All cc65 versions should support this.

I'll try again when I'm back home today. Compilation wasn't the issue though, I had it compiling without errors, but it doesn't want to boot up in mednafen for some reason, so I was thinking it might be a cc65 versioning issue.

Edited by Ninjabba

You also need to have the right kind of info in the lnx header.

.import __BLOCKSIZE__

.segment        "EXEHDR"
        ; Here is a small header for Handy - the Lynx emulator
        ; It is included to make testing easier
        .byte   'L','Y','N','X'                   ; magic
        .word   __BLOCKSIZE__                     ; bank 0 page size
        .word   0                                 ; bank 1 page size
        .word   1                                 ; version number
        .asciiz "Wyvern Tales                   " ; 32 bytes cart name
        .asciiz "Ninjabba       "                 ; 16 bytes manufacturer name
        .byte   0                                 ; rotation 1=left, 2=right
        .byte   0,0,0,0,0                         ; spare

I looked into your suggestions, but I'm afraid there's still a difference between templates that I work with. The template I used to create WT has the following header file:

; Handy Atari Lynx cart header.
;
; Written for the cc65 compiler by
; Karri Kaksonen, 2004
;

LynxBlockSize=1024    ; This should be a system-level parameter
            ; when we have encrypted loaders for 512
            ; and 2048 byte blocks also

.segment    "CARTDIR"
    ; Here is a small header for Handy - the Lynx emulator
    ; It is included to make testing easier
    .byte    'L','Y','N','X'             ; magic
    .word    LynxBlockSize             ; bank 0 page size
    .word    LynxBlockSize             ; bank 1 page size
    .word    1                 ; version number
    .asciiz    "Wyvern Tales " ; 32 bytes cart name
    .asciiz "Ninjabba "         ; 16 bytes manufacturer name
    .byte    0                 ; rotation 1=left, 2=right
    .byte    0,0,0,0,0             ; spare

Changing the LynxBlockSize to 2048 here doesn't work. The lynxcart config file also doesn't have BLOCKSIZE defined in this version of the template.

I'm using CC65 2.13.2 for WT. Later versions of CC65 have different function names for loading segments, breaking the compilation of the WT codebase.

Any idea what could make it work for 512kb?

In 2018 plastics is BAD. You don't even get straws at hamburger places anymore. So what about an ecological cart in bamboo?

post-2099-0-59387000-1534515699.jpg

Pretty tedious to make compared to 3D prints. But I try to get a decent number of carts with me.

Oh, the game idea is still along the same lines as before but the entire code and actions are re-written. Plus I have a now competition in mind... Stay tuned...

Edited by karri
  • Like 4

Small teaser for the eJagfest game.

post-2099-0-79368700-1534692414.png

The speed is pretty good in emulated mode. I have not tried it on a real Lynx yet.

The gameplay is still missing. This is not a racing game. I kind of got carried away while disassembling Road Riot and got a nice idea of a different car chase. Details to follow.

• Like 5