IGNORED

Power adapter problem with Lynx 2

Grumpmeister

Hey all,

As I didn't really see a 'dumb questions' topic, I'll just ask here:

I've dusted off my Atari Lynx yesterday and tried to boot it using the original power cable. Sadly it didn't really seem to want to boot (it did get power when I fiddled a bit with the plug part that goes into the Lynx). So I scavenged for 6 batteries, put those into the Lynx and it boots without any issues. So either the power port is dirty / worn out or the adapter (the plug part) is dying.

To verify this, my plan is to get an universal power adapter with a 3.5 mm x 1.35 mm plug (if I'm correct, that's the one the Lynx uses?). I could also look into somehow cleaning the power port (I'm not sure how to go about that though...).

Any advice or does this problem sound familiar to anyone? In the meanwhile I'm looking for my second device as well (which may still be at my parents actually), which also has it's own power adapter... I'm at least trying to get a completely working Lynx to get the McWill mod done. It feels a bit of a waste if it only works with batteries...

Thanks in advance!

You didn't state if this was a model 1 or model 2 lynx? I don't think it matters too much, but it does sound like perhaps there is either a broken wire internally within the power cord of your adapter, or the actual power jack on the lynx could be loose from the PCB. Since it works with batteries, we know the lynx itself is okay.

You didn't state if this was a model 1 or model 2 lynx? I don't think it matters too much, but it does sound like perhaps there is either a broken wire internally within the power cord of your adapter, or the actual power jack on the lynx could be loose from the PCB. Since it works with batteries, we know the lynx itself is okay.

Right, sorry, this was the model 2 Lynx.

My brother found his Lynx as well, so I'll be getting and trying that tomorrow. If it's the adapter, I can verify that tomorrow using his (or using an universal adapter I've ordered which should arrive tomorrow). Otherwise I'm hoping his Lynx (also model 2) is in a better condition. If so, I feel more ok with opening up the Lynx that is acting up and checking if I can resolve the problem.

In case of the universal adapter, it can be set to 6, 7,5 and 9V. I'm hearing stories it's best to put it on 6V even though the original adapter outputs 9?

I bought a used lynx model 1 that had no power adapter. I got a generic $4 ebay adapter and it works like a charm! it is the 3.5 x 1.35 mm plug adapter version. I found that out and types it into ebay and it popped up nice and cheap! Mine was also a 9V

I will say tho, that the slot itself in the body/shell of the lynx is somewhat flimsy and I think that is just how the lynx is which is probably why those things seem to break off the board easily.

Hmm, that may also explain why wiggling it around a little sometimes caused the Lynx to get power.

Depending on the state of the Lynx I'll grab tonight I'll see which one I'll open up and check if I can do the soldering of the power socket myself. I'm assuming I can just use the original power socket for this (assuming it just came lose)? The power socket soldering seemed relatively easy at least, so I'm guessing it's managable without having much experience with soldering.

I should also receive a new adapter tonight, so I'll give that a shot as well :)

• Like 1

Ok, to follow up on this, I've gotten my brothers Lynx which works fine on the power adapter. However, I've used the adapter on my Lynx, which is also working fine now (it plugs in better than my own adapter). Also the universal adapter I've bought which arrived today fits well in my Lynx and powers it with no trouble. So it seems the actual problem was a faulty power adapter. Though it seems my Lynx has a bit of movement at the power socket, while the socket of my brother is more sturdy. I'll be playing around a bit with it, but am tempted to get the Lynx of my brother modded and using my own for experimental soldering :)

There is a metalic tab inside the power socket (on the outer edge) that presses against the outside of the power jack on the supply doing two thing simultaneounsly...

1) Connecting directly to one of the supply rails

2) Pushing the power connector against the center pin in the socket thereby ensuring connection to the other supply rail

Over time this tab both looses its springiness and can develop a slight groove due to ware from the power jack being repeatedly inserted and removed, this causes a lack of pressure on the power jack resulting in intermittent loss of connection. I had this on my Lynx 2, it would play fine until I tilted it slightly and then the power would cut out, once I replaced the power socket it was fine.

Edited by Stephen Moss

I think the problem for my Lynx was mostly that the plug of the adapter was deteriorated to the point where it couldn't go all the way into the socket. That was the first thing I noticed when I tried plugging in my brother's Lynx, the plug simply went further into the socket. When I used his adapter on my Lynx, it worked fine until I put the Lynx on the sofa for a moment, but that was simply due to his adapter cable being flimsy (there was a reason there was some tape around a part of the cable).

I've used the (new) universal adapter (at 9V, I can reduce to voltage if necessary) and I've been able to play for an hour / 1,5 hours without any trouble. To be sure, I've also been trying different positions of the Lynx, what happens if the adapter turns a bit (stuff like slightly tilting), etc. but everything was just really stable in that aspect. I didn't lose power at all.

I'll still keep the above site in mind though, the prices are good and the price of shipping to the Netherlands isn't bad either. If the McWill mod works out well, I may put it in the second Lynx as well for some multiplayer goodness (and do a socket replacement to get a general idea of modding / fixing the Lynx) :)

• Like 1