IGNORED

HYPERKIN Retron77 Joystick issue - Update!

NISMOPC

I'm very interested in getting some parts from these guys. Can somebody please point me to where I can find a link in that sprawling mess of rambling gibberish and garish colors to actually pick out what I want to buy (replacement CX40 handles and PCBs)? Good Lord, was that ever frustrating... it has to be the only website I've ever seen that is trying to sell things but makes it an easter egg hunt to find the link to buy something.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Another update: Contacted Hyperkin regarding my replacement. They responded quickly and stated that the shipment for replacements was delayed another 2 weeks, but that they will send confirmation when they ship out.

Would be nice to finally have a working Hyperkin joystick since I did pay for a working unit. Currently using a TAC-2, but still "want" what I paid for.

• Like 1

I actually have 2 sets of NOS top and bottom pieces for the CX-40 base, brand new NOS Atari branded joystick cables (not the ones Best sells NOW but the ones they sold completely out of with the slip-on connectors that slip right onto the PCB). And enough parts to build 4 complete joysticks. I prefer to build my own because at least this way I KNOW they will last. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Just received my email from Hyperkin support with an RA form I needed to complete to start the replacement process. Already sent the form back. Will update once I am informed of the next steps. Looking forward to seeing if this "Trooper" joystick they just released does indeed out perform the original faulty units.

• 2 years later...
On 7/11/2018 at 2:56 PM, NISMOPC said:

I am adding these images to show the full damage of the joystick. Since I know Hyperkin is/was responding to some forum posts, this might also provide them more details into their flawed units.

Overall build of joystick seemed good, but I see two area's of improvement. Use of proper flexible joystick insert and larger nubs to contact the tactical buttons. The criss/cross pattern of the nubs (small posts) are not very precise. This appears to be the reason one of the buttons is destroyed and the other dented pretty bad. The joystick insert cracked between the location of the two damaged tactile buttons assuming the nubs were misaligned after it cracked causing the further damage.

Top of unit:

post-61269-0-99581800-1531342395_thumb.jpg

Bottom of unit:

post-61269-0-15166500-1531342401_thumb.jpg

Fully disassembled:

post-61269-0-87854700-1531342409_thumb.jpg

Joystick insert cracked:

post-61269-0-92849400-1531342421_thumb.jpg

Completely destroyed tactile button:

post-61269-0-14718400-1531342430_thumb.jpg

Dented tactile button:

post-61269-0-77613000-1531342436_thumb.jpg

How did you disassemble this?  I can't get past the first two screws on the bottom and unscrewing the control stick.