IGNORED

Picture quality

Derek Andrews

I recently broke down and bought my first ever console, an Atari Junior, along with a variety of cartridges, and have just got it hooked up to an NTSC crt tv. I'm none too happy with the picture quality in terms of colour contrast. Some games are playable, but Frogger has some things that are difficult to see, and Popeye is next to impossible to play as the platforms and ladders are only barely visible. I'm just wondering if this is normal for NTSC? I recall the tv engineer at Voltmace telling me that NTSC stood for Never Twice Same Color ;-) Or is there a problem:

1. Faulty console

2. Connection problem (impedance mismatch, connecting the RCA on the console to the BNC on the tv)

The tv works fine with VCR. There doesn't appear to be anyway to adjust colour on it.

Not normal. Doubt it's a impedance mismatch.

Try a different feed line (coax cable).

What happens if you connect the Atari to the VCR, then the VCR to the TV?

I'm using a RCA to F type adapter at the console connected via coax cable to the tv.

I will try going through the VCR, but need to get another coax cable first.

RCA on the console? It's analog RF and needs a converter to convert the signal -- the old machine had a twin-lead thing but you could find one that transformed to coax.

What's between your Atari and your Tv? Got a picture?

Yes, its a rca/phono type socket on the console, and yes it is analog rf.

RCA-Ftype adapter, then coax cable to tv.

Yes, I have a picture, just not very good and some games the colour contrast is minimal.