IGNORED

SDrive-MAX Connection Issue

DrVenkman

My 2 UNO boards will be here in the next hour, I'll build up 2 of these today and test my diodes (914's and 4148's)...

Thanks, that'd be great. I'd be curious about your forward and reverse bias voltage measurement.

Edited by DrVenkman

I just ordered an Arduino and the screen....already got a Half SIO cable and I assume the required USB cable is simply a "printer cable" which I already have here.

Now the long wait starts (2/3 weeks) for delivery :)

But if things work out it will cost just a bit over 10 euros :)

Would love to see some video of the device in action...how you select stuff etc.

Edited by Level42

are you running the this with a(n) 1088XEL Dr Venkman?

Yeah well, his screen does say 1088XEL :):)

Thanks Venkman !!!!! Yeah I understood the tapping part but this gives an idea about how you scroll through the images.

You need to press (emulated) buttons but can you also swipe through the list of images ? (Like you do on selection lists on iPad/Android) ?

This would really make it a lot faster to choose an image compared to a (button operated) SIO2SD...

I guess the software uses a standard library that probably doesn't support that...I can imagine software-wise a swipe function is pretty complicated because a good swipe function (like iOS has) is fast and yet feels very precise. The Arduino probably lacks the horsepower to do this wel....

Edited by Level42

http://www.kbrnet.de/projekte/sdrive-ng/sdrive-ng-v1.1.jpg

The diode you mean is D7?

I dont know, what Brown out detection means, but it is explicit

mentioned in the german forum...

Wer das SDrive-Max mit einer Floppy betreiben will sollte nicht die Diode D7 in der Leitung vergessen, ohne die Diode wird der Bus blockiert.Bitte die Fuse Bits kontrollieren. Bei mehreren Arduino UNO Boards ist der Auslieferstand "Brown-out detection lebel at VCC=2,7V (BODLEVEL=1)",

diesen auf BODLEVEL=0=4.3V setzen sonst kann es zu Problemen beim ausschalten kommen.

Maybe it helps, or somebody who's english is better than mine can translate it?

Another picture that may help...

https://www.forum64.de/index.php?attachment/137278-sio-anschluss-uno-jpg/&thumbnail=1

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both

Yeah well, his screen does say 1088XEL :):)

Thanks Venkman !!!!! Yeah I understood the tapping part but this gives an idea about how you scroll through the images.

You need to press (emulated) buttons but can you also swipe through the list of images ? (Like you do on selection lists on iPad/Android) ?

This would really make it a lot faster to choose an image compared to a (button operated) SIO2SD...

I guess the software uses a standard library that probably doesn't support that...I can imagine software-wise a swipe function is pretty complicated because a good swipe function (like iOS has) is fast and yet feels very precise. The Arduino probably lacks the horsepower to do this wel....

Yes, the 1088XEL is my Atari daily-driver. I've yet to find anything it's not compatible with and it can do run any NTSC software anyone might want to run with an A8. And later this summer when I get around to getting a PAL ANTIC and GTIA (I already have a PAL crystal installed but no selected) I'll be able to run PAL software when I swap the chips.

Yes, the 1N4148 diode between pin 3 of the Atari SIO connector (DATA IN) and the Arduino TxD pin. For whatever reason, my Arduino just isn't working with the Arduino installed. With it removed it works great but I can't use it with other SIO devices connected and active. So no floppy drives, no SIO2PC devices … I've seen those pics already, and that's how I have things wired up, but thank you anyway.

Anyway, I have another board and some new diodes from a different vendor today. I'll try again and see how it goes. :)

Edited by DrVenkman

My 2 UNO boards will be here in the next hour, I'll build up 2 of these today and test my diodes (914's and 4148's)...

Did you ever get your devices assembled and tested? I'm curious about your diode measurements. Thanks! :)

Yes, the 1088XEL is my Atari daily-driver. I've yet to find anything it's not compatible with and it can do run any NTSC software anyone might want to run with an A8. And later this summer when I get around to getting a PAL ANTIC and GTIA (I already have a PAL crystal installed but no selected) I'll be able to run PAL software when I swap the chips.

Swapping ANTIC chips is so 2017.

AntiX will make it possible to have both ANTICs installed and switch between them....if all goes well via the U1MB menu's :)

I registered it for the ABBUC contest so it will be available in fall 2018...

• Like 2

Swapping ANTIC chips is so 2017.

AntiX will make it possible to have both ANTICs installed and switch between them....if all goes well via the U1MB menu's :)

I registered it for the ABBUC contest so it will be available in fall 2018...

Don't think that'll fit in my 1088EL with the XEL-CF board mounted to the PBI edge connector, but I'll worry about that another day.

• Like 1

the wording 'across' is strange... inline or connected from-to makes sense... across what is the question..

hmmmm sounds like the

The correct translation should be 'via' diode. He just mentioned

that, in case you have more than one unit on the sio port,

you have to use the diode. Across is double and triple wrong...

Stefan

• Like 2

Okay, I need to update my situation.

I got new 1N4148 diodes today from a second vendor. These, too, measured right at 0.604 - 0.609 volts for forward-bias, just like the first set I got. I went ahead and wired one inline with the TxD - DATA IN wire and tested again. Still no-go with my 1088XEL.

Then I did what maybe I should've done from the get-go. I dug out one of my 1200XL's (modded to add +5V on the SIO port) and tried it there. Booted up DOS 2.5 with no problem. I then tried booting a game of MULE and again, no hesitation, pauses, skips or anything. So, looks like something is a bit different with how the 1088XEL is wired up. I'm going to off and dig up the Builders' thread and see if Michael or one of the other folks has any ideas.

okay so this is on the 1088 !!!

I couldn't assume the video wasn't just a random youtube video was of him or his equipment (I have made such assumption in the past and it turned out it was just example from others)..,

just make sure the switch is in the 5 volt position on all devices in the 1088 as well... your ftdi device is one place to start... (spark fun etc, often red board)

Edited by _The Doctor__

It will work without the diode if its the only device that is connected to the Atari, but you or more audrino get in trouble if xou connected together with other devices like Diskdrives.

I suggest to use the SIO2SD modifications with a shotky diode like BAT50, that have only a voltage drop of 0.2V. An a powerup Resistor on the audruio side

I will test this in a week because i an now on a vacation trip.

Okay 4 mentions of switching to the lower voltages drop diodes... I'd say we obtaining a consensus...

• Like 1

Okay 4 mentions of switching to the lower voltages drop diodes... I'd say we obtaining a consensus...

Yeah, I'll order some of the BAT-type Schottky diodes as Michael suggests in the 1088XEL thread.

Ultimately, I guess this won't really matter. My 1088XEL has loads of ways to load disk images already - the Sparkfun module for SIO2PC access, the XEL-CF and Jon's Loader to mount ATR images that way, the SIO port for a floppy drive or two … This widget will eventually get used with one of my other A8 machines when I get my game/retro space setup properly. I intend to set up one of my 800's with a 1050 like I used to have as a kid. This will get used with that setup, in all likelihood.

always good to make it all the best it can be... that's how the fun continues with the Atari 'and it's clones :)'

funny thing is I suggest the low voltage drop diodes over time for things, going back to protecting the SIO ports on standard Atari's adding voltage back to SIO port pins... it always comes full circle... different applications but still the best results.

It's good to always spread the word and share the findings... it costs next to nothing to substitute these sorts of things at birth, as you verify this as solved in the upcoming (fingers crossed), all these devices and people will benefit from your experience!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Did you ever get your devices assembled and tested? I'm curious about your diode measurements. Thanks! :)

I pulled out what I think is a 1N914 (can only read 14 on 1 line) from a diode parts drawer and it has forward bias of 0.57 volts, reverse bias is O.00 volts.

Just started soldering one up...

• Like 2

Okay, mark this one "solved." Thanks to Michael's suggestion in the 1088XEL Builder's thread, I dug around the parts bin and found some 1N5819 Schottky diodes. I installed one of those and voila! It works with my 1088XEL now, mixing drives on the SDrive-Max and real floppies properly. W00t!

• Like 9

I added a note in that other thread having to do with the reason I suspect that the Schottky diode was required...

So apparently the BOB-12731 FTDI Break-Out Board being used for the SIO2PC-USB on the 1088XEL exerts a bit more pull-up then the normal 4.7K resistor on the SIO Data-In, thus requiring a bit more pull-down by the diode. I can't see any on-board pull-up resistors on the BOB board, so this must be something inherent in the FTDI chip itself (might be associated with internal level shifting).

Anyway in my way of thinking, I would always use a Schottky diode on the Data-In line instead of a 1N4148 or 1N914. This is a safer bet no matter what system you were attaching to.

Another possibility would be to use a germanium diode such as the 1N134 or 1N134A which has a voltage drop of 0.25-0.3 V. However I don't know if the switching speed would be sufficient for this application, but it would certainly be interesting to try (unfortunately I don't have any of these laying around). Stick with the Schottky if you want guaranteed results :) .

• Like 3

Don't think that'll fit in my 1088EL with the XEL-CF board mounted to the PBI edge connector, but I'll worry about that another day.

Got a picture ?

Judging by the picture on Michael's website I think it should fit.....although maybeeeeee....that HCT100 might be in the way a bit...but you can add some pins to raise it.....but if the top of that HCT00 is level with the ANTIC and SALLY there should be no issues....unless you have something else above SALLY....

post-42561-0-35490200-1516739888.jpg

Edited by Level42

Got a picture ?

This isn't really the thread for it but here you go. Remember, too, that once I mounted it into the case, the XEL-CF card interface assembly gets mounted vertically, which really limits clearance.

post-30400-0-07454100-1531776440_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-35556300-1531776454_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I added a note in that other thread having to do with the reason I suspect that the Schottky diode was required...

Anyway in my way of thinking, I would always use a Schottky diode on the Data-In line instead of a 1N4148 or 1N914. This is a safer bet no matter what system you were attaching to.

Another possibility would be to use a germanium diode such as the 1N134 or 1N134A which has a voltage drop of 0.25-0.3 V. However I don't know if the switching speed would be sufficient for this application, but it would certainly be interesting to try (unfortunately I don't have any of these laying around). Stick with the Schottky if you want guaranteed results :) .

Your expertise really bailed me out here. Thanks again! :)

Now my device will boot up my 1088XEL everything I've tested it with - my 1088XEL, my U1MB-equipped 1200XL and a bone-stock 48K 800 I just tested it with. I did have to power it externally for the 800, however. OSb boots up so darn fast on a stock machine that it's at the MEMO PAD screen before the SDrive-MAX is ready to deliver data. I disconnected the SIO power line and powered it via a 9V battery and it worked great.

• Like 2