IGNORED

Ben Hecks latest portable A8 build

Tezz

OK, just watched it.

Earlier comment retracted - the top view doesn't do it justice. It's a good case design though I'm not entirely sure about the d-pad though of course not having a joystick takes away from the portable cred.

Got to ask - what's the resolution of the LCD? Does the mapping of the pixels look OK or is it smeared?

Also have to request - get this thing playing some interlaced video, e.g. Stellar Shuttle mod and Real Interlace demo as linked in my tagline.

Edited by Rybags

You also have to consider that it was designed and finished in 3 weeks, which is pretty amazing.

First of all, welcome and thanks to Ben; it's good to see you joining us here in person.

Here are some of my thoughts about the finished product.

1. I like the overall look and design/layout of everything. It's a nicely conceived piece of A8 hardware.

2. I don't like the aesthetic of the buttons chosen.

- red isn't really XL styling; brown (or even black) would be better.

- I think a different button style would suit it better too; something flatter and wider... maybe rubber cushioned buttons.

3. Paint job is a little rough (although not bad considering working with 3D printing materials). Maybe something with a little less gloss would look better.

4. Case connectors and LED holes look a little rough.

Otherwise it's a very cool project and probably a lot of fun to use.

Edited by MrFish

I'd be happy if someone just did something along the lines of an Atari 8-bit version of the Retron 77. Basically a small, modern HDMI capable clone that can use real carts/peripherals, but which doesn't cost hundreds of dollars.

Based on Altirra, instead of Retron, called the Phaeron. :D

• Like 1

That was on 'Heck' of a project.... if it weren't for the slight setbacks, certainly would have made a 2 week target.... excellent project, regrettable acting.. :)

For all that is said and and done, I guarantee every person who has seen this and commented good or bad would love to have it!

I would have loved a second joypad, I think it would have fit no issues... in fact this project was quite inspiring, building on it would be fun... nice!

Never letting pie go to waste,

_The Doctor__

• Like 1

Ben check out my 1088XEL project to see a way to use SRAM without the need for a CPLD or Freddie, and very little glue logic. I'm also working on a new project that will substitute a Clock Oscillator IC at 4X the required frequency followed by a 74HCT74 divide by 4 circuit to get it to what we need. This is the same as what Freddie does internally.

BTW, I love the way your portable turned out :).

And one last thing... ALLPCB.com would have turned around professionally made boards for you in 1 week or less for very little money. I use them all the time with great success.

Thanks I'll look into that!

One reason I stopped doing the show was the episode schedule was a never-ending treadmill. We didn't finish projects the best way, only the fastest. So yes, I'll probably revisit this with real PCB's and modern SRAM.

• Like 5

One reason I stopped doing the show was the episode schedule was a never-ending treadmill. We didn't finish projects the best way, only the fastest. So yes, I'll probably revisit this with real PCB's and modern SRAM.

Yeah not as much fun when under a very tight deadline, so I definitely understand why you decided to stop. Even sharing projects on AtariAge can get a bit stressful when everyone is pushing ideas on you, and/or wanting to buy what you are or have created. Of course I guess that's better than no attention at all ;) .

So if you have the time or inclination, I would be curious as to what the formula was that you followed when you created an episode. Who picked the projects? How many people were involved in the background? Did you do all the heavy lifting and create all the various aspects? the videos make the design process look easy as pie (sorry for the pun :) ), but I know that can't be the case.

• Like 1

Loved your show over the years but I can understand how anything on such a tight schedule can become a grind, especially when you've gotta keep it new, creative and interesting as tech changes year by year. Thanks for all you've done for the tech-nerd community, and while people may quibble with certain choices about your latest portable, it's still a hell of an achievement and I'm sure it's a ton of fun to use.

P.S. Surprisingly, despite the fact that I've been an Atari guy pretty much all my life, I never once tried the A8 versions of CHOPLIFTER or BERZERK. After the last episode last night, I immediately played both of them for about an hour. :D

Edited by DrVenkman

Start a new show, call it "Heck of a lot better" and only release episodes when done the best way, maybe get sponsorship from digi-key/allpcb or something. :D

• Like 4