IGNORED

Recommend Some Demos

Vinnie D.

I recently built my SIO2PC USB cable, and am reliably loading software from PC now. With that done, I'd like to run some demos. I'm running an Atari 400 upgraded to 48k RAM. Any suggestions for something cool that will run on this configuration?

NTSC or PAL?

I recently built my SIO2PC USB cable, and am reliably loading software from PC now. With that done, I'd like to run some demos. I'm running an Atari 400 upgraded to 48k RAM. Any suggestions for something cool that will run on this configuration?

I enjoy all the Silly Pack Demo's.

SillyPack2k12.atr

SillyPack2k13.atr

SillyPack2k14.atr

SillyPack2k16.atr

SillyPack2k17.atr

• Like 1

NUMEN

Edit: Oops, 400 with 48kB. That won't work.

yea I didnt find a lot of demos that would run on my 48k NTSC 400, there were a handful of text scroller's and graphics routines but not full blown demos

Plenty of games work with it, I actually liked the machine quite well... but I ended up selling it and getting a PAL 65XE to doctor up (which I am still sloooooooowly doing)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to find an NTSC version of NUMEN, but no luck. However, NUMEN will work on an NTSC Atari if the NTSC GTIA is replaced with a PAL GTIA.

This version of NUMEN works on my iPhone. :)

So, it's only a software check of $D014? Or, is there more to it?

Why couldn't this be easily patched out in software if it will run on an NTSC ANTIC? Would the GTIA really matter? I don't see why. Maybe some slight differences, but so what? Let it at least TRY to run.

After watching many new demos with 3D effects, gouraud shading effects, morphing effects, fractal effects and whatnot, its is always nice to view some old (very old) demos that simply show what your Atari can do (programmed directly on the A8, not with an emulator or a PC cross-compiler, etc.). Simple fx, like showing 256 colours or 16 greyscales, simple animation fx, simple light/neon-light fx, etc. One of these old demos I like is "Discape" by Anthony Ramos, a multi-part demo programmed in Atari Basic with some ML subroutines on an Atari 800 between 1984 and 1985... http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3518

What I find absolutely boring are demos that show several ripped pictures (e.g. from A8 games), play some ripped sounds/music (from an A8 game) and have a scroller (blablabla) anywhere on the screen. Alas, many german A8 demos did this in the 80s (and even in the 90s)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Well... its a natural progression... we had those "simple" 80s style, then those 90s with Chunky 4x4 mode9 style, 00s started those "theme" like demos and now we are more into Amiga world...

What made me really "wow" again when connecting and testing my demos on a 1084s and those 50 FPS effects kick out. nothing can compare 50 FPS fx on a CRT... forget TFT... that's why esp. C64 guys still stick to 50 FPS effects as much as possible.

I tried that with the latest VBXE demo... the Chaos Zoomer was optimised to run in 50 FPS, the Plasma in the end and the Amiga Balls...

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 1