IGNORED

Parsec Canceled

BBWW

I guess I'm still confused why an unbranded version isn't the next step.

This frees the developer to create his ideal version of the game he/she loved. Basically, making it even more their own.

Indeed. TI Parsec is a great game, but after a few waves it can feel bland. Spice it up!

Yes, but in the end I did not get clear consent. So that is how I will proceed. As a IP holder, I want to keep my own ethics in place.

Understood.

Bummer, One of my favorite games. A perfect game to port as well. Speech and keypad to select LIFT etc.

I know many others have been given permission to include several "command modules" with emulators etc.

May be a good question to ask in the TI forum.

I was hoping to play with better collision detection. Also, 5 or more sprites per line causes the highest priority sprite(s) to disappear.

Most attack waves only have 5 enemy ships, but Parsec is the 6th sprite and it does cause some issues I think the Intellivision version would not have. :(

The sprite that is loaded last on the TMS9918 graphic chip will get dropped if it is 4 or more on a line. Sprite 0-3 will have always stay on and have priority over sprite 4-31. I usually reorder the object aptitude into the sprite's array every frame to cause the flicker effect you see on these consoles if there's more than x sprites on a line.

For Intellivision, there's 8 sprites maximum that can be displayed at once. Anything need more than 8 sprite will have to rotate the object aptitude into the sprite array, causing the sprite flickering effect. Parsec should be doable for the Intellivision within the Intellivision limitation. You could use the backtab to put addition object needed like enemies' shot.

Parsec is canceled!

Even though others have gotten the go ahead to port TI 99-4a Games, I was unable to. I got a we don't care, but we don't give permission kind of a thing. It will not be released. CMart has one of the two carts made. (Of Course!)

Are you talking about this Parsec? I wonder what kind of permission they got.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/parsec/9wzdncrd29t6?activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab

You can play the original Parsec here.

http://js99er.net/

Are you talking about this Parsec? I wonder what kind of permission they got.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/parsec/9wzdncrd29t6?activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab

You can play the original Parsec here.

http://js99er.net/

They actually did get permission. I had talked to them before the project started, so I felt confident I would get it too. But different people in the IP office could make something less easy I guess.

I'm just curious if it was just an email saying it's okay or a contract with conditions. Risk is probably low but I don't blame anyone for wanting zero risk. I wonder if the, we don't care response, is enough to establish consent. It's better than no response.

----------

I don't think permission from TI is needed to use the name Parsec. As far as I know they haven't used that name since the 1980s.

Edited by mr_me

I'm just curious if it was just an email saying it's okay or a contract with conditions. Risk is probably low but I don't blame anyone for wanting zero risk. I wonder if the, we don't care response, is enough to establish consent. It's better than no response.

In trademark and copyright law it is the job of the rights holder to protect it. Yes, I could argue that that was permission. But again why not just make it a "tribute" to Parsec and move on. It will be obvious that it is close cousin of Parsec.

• Like 3

In trademark and copyright law it is the job of the rights holder to protect it. Yes, I could argue that that was permission. But again why not just make it a "tribute" to Parsec and move on. It will be obvious that it is close cousin of Parsec.

I like that idea. Can't that work?

• Like 1

BBWW, on 15 Jul 2018 - 9:41 PM, said:snapback.png

This is so hard...

Thats what Cmart said...

I am just happy I didn't have to go the the underground parking garage at PRGE to discover that. I hope to again this year not visit the parking garage with CMart or Lathe!

I guess I'm still confused why an unbranded version isn't the next step.

This frees the developer to create his ideal version of the game he/she loved. Basically, making it even more their own.

This has always been my approach too. I highly respect the skills of devs that create a 1:1 replica with ports, but it's not fun for me if I can't crayon anywhere I want.

My on-topic suggestion: update the gameplay, call if "BTP", and let everyone know the new name definitely doesn't stand for "Better Than Parsec".

• Like 1

BBWW, on 15 Jul 2018 - 9:41 PM, said:snapback.png

I am just happy I didn't have to go the the underground parking garage at PRGE to discover that. I hope to again this year not visit the parking garage with CMart or Lathe!

Wait. Are you saying our 3 way meeting is cancelled? ?

I was going to bring Rev too! ?