IGNORED

My review of Superman for the VCS

gorfcadet

It was a quite well done and enjoyable video, and I liked the harmless rated E for everyone humor. I had a heck of a time hearing it on my computer, but its probably my hardware. Your voice is quite pleasant,and not a shock jock type,unlike other reviewers. If I had any suggestions at all, I believe a separation of the review to the epilogue with a several second viewing of gameplay would tie it all in nicely, but that s just my opinion. Overall, great job!

Very entertaining. The bit with the helicopter is DEAD ON and made me laugh. I personally think Superman is completely underrated. If you had told me in 1979 the game would include Clark, Lois, Lex, Kryptonite, the Daily Planet, Metropolis and X-Ray vision I wouldnt have believed it. Its very well thought out, and still fun to play.

• Like 2

Yeah, I can still play that game frequently and never really get tired of it. The Atari had so many creative gameplay experiments that didnt pan out, but the Superman gameplay formula really holds up. Its odd that I cant think of any modern games that lean on it for inspiration.

I got this with my console in 1978. My folks couldn't find "Target Fun" which is what I asked for. I didn't know at the time that it was "Air-Sea Battle" everywhere but Sears. I played the hell out of it. One of my favorites. Good review. You didn't touch on the Kryptonite stars and Lois' Kiss to restore you unless I missed it?

• Like 1

Always loved Superman as a kid. My friend had it before I did, but I would borrow his copy and play for hours until I got a copy of it myself. Always enjoyed the adventure type games that involve moving around a "world" and accomplishing tasks as opposed to a single screen where you just blast stuff.

• Like 1

You know, there is a specific genre of game on the early 8-bit consoles that I like to call the '20 minute action RPG'.

Superman is a great example of this, as are Adventure, Haunted House, E.T., Raiders, AD&D Cloudy Mountain on the Intellivision, Gateway to Apshai on the CV etc.

You get a full, complete game in 30 minutes, that has a finite end, and which you can play between watering the lawn and dinner. They are all experiences that never get stale either, due to the random item/level generation.

It's a lost game style, and it's one that's very suited to adult gaming time. There's a reason we're all still playing these titles. Outside of the occasional 'coffee break' roguelike, we don't get games like this anymore.

• Like 8

• 4 months later...

It was fun seeing your review :D - but hey! I guess I am the only guy in the world who is (after all these decades) making a Superman remastered! :D (from the Atari 2600 version).

I have begun development so it is still a wip! you can take a peek at it here! http://aloan.site90.com/superman-remastered.zip

Later on I might make it's own webpage and a donate to help the cause (development incentive) button ;D - (since I don't know if I'll get to finish it) as this game has lots of rules! some of which are:

1- Heli can catch louis, kryptonite meteors (3 pieces) and even bridge pieces and leave them anywhere!

2- The subways are connected towards north only

3- Exiting west from pink subway = jail

4- Exiting west from yellow subway = daily planet

5- Inside daily planet to get out you must pass through the subway if you bring louis to daily planet she will stay there,

But if the heli is outside she will wonder off

6- To rebuild metropolis bridge all pieces must be between the 2 buildings (on bridge screen)

7- if you land while carrying a crook he will escape

8- if you use x-ray vision you will stop movement and can be zapped by kryptonite if unnaware

This is an idea I wrote to myself: Lets make the x-ray vision go to multiple screens for this arcade version!

9- difficulty easy = louis comes to you, if you've been zapped by kryptonite

10- difficulty hard = louis does not come to you

Most of these rules/laws I have not yet put into the game!!!

My next job is to create the AI for the npcs to wonder around the city and flee Superman.

However, come check out my other games like Cliffall (free), Akeni (my commercial game) and Flashdance (free, YES Flashdance the Movie game, lol - unfinished - Yep! I'm the only one who've tried to do a Flashdance Movie game) all here: http://aloan.site90.com

Edited by Aloan
  • Like 2

I liked superman and even beat it back in the day. I didn't know about pause though, cool. (Like many, I got it used, and like adventure, it took a long time to decrypt and finally beat)

I liked the video, and found it informative, I look forward to more. Love the kid at the end, that look when asked if he liked superman for 2600, like " uh...wtf?! " LOL

Only thing, maybe pause and breathe occasionally, other than that, cool vid. LOL @ the helicopter

• Like 1

• 2 months later...