IGNORED

What was the Jaguar truly capable of?

NeoGeo64

@philipj Neo Geo games ported to the Jag would be cool but with so many SNK compilations out there they would need to be something truly unique and how would anybody make them unique enough? I would rather see Outrun, Vlad's game or Last Strike. Just the fact that these creative folks want to produce something new or build on something else would satisfy me but I would never say no to a New Geo port. Ha! ?

The idea of Neo Geo games being ported isn't going to happen but just because it is brought up every once in a while doesn't mean it's going to happen. It's just wishful thinking. I'm not asking for it and I think philipj was just putting it out there. It's okay to have fun with it. It's just video games in the end.

Keep up the wishful thinking if you like and have fun with it :)

Apparently it's usual in the Jaguar forum that some people feel the need to tell someone what to post or what not.

I just don't understand why it's so bad for some to talk about video games for fun. I truly don't understand why some people who are new to the forums can't talk about some things because it irritates others. Some folks have literally have just joined the forums-like me-and don't know or have history with this forum. I didn't know having fun is such a bad thing. I know longer will post because some feel some of us are beating a dead horse. I will read from afar. Gummy Bear. Still eyeing your controller mod. ✌️

• Like 3

I just don't understand why it's so bad for some to talk about video games for fun. I truly don't understand why some people who are new to the forums can't talk about some things because it irritates others. Some folks have literally have just joined the forums-like me-and don't know or have history with this forum. I didn't know having fun is such a bad thing. I know longer will post because some feel some of us are beating a dead horse. I will read from afar. Gummy Bear. Still eyeing your controller mod. ✌️

Well some have already discussed the topic till infinity reason being the dead horse thing I suppose, but I do have a lot of fun talking about stuff like that from time to time even though I've been down the road before, it's still a lot of fun. I think for some who are programming it's just some subject matters that they've already settled and probably don't want to go down the road again, but I don't mind sometimes. It somewhat serves as a reminder of the whole game enthusiast scene even though I don't play games as much as I use to; I still play them from time to time. So yea I understand what you're saying; I feel you buddy. Just express yourself anytime you feel like doing so.

Edited by philipj

I know longer will post because some feel some of us are beating a dead horse. I will read from afar. Gummy Bear. Still eyeing your controller mod. ✌️

Don't feel discouraged. It's just one of those things that would probably be better contained (for the sake of both newer folks and for those of us who are a bit tired after many years of it) in one megathread instead of popping up constantly all over the place and often derailing other discussions.

• Like 5

@philipj Neo Geo games ported to the Jag would be cool but with so many SNK compilations out there they would need to be something truly unique and how would anybody make them unique enough? I would rather see Outrun, Vlad's game or Last Strike. Just the fact that these creative folks want to produce something new or build on something else would satisfy me but I would never say no to a New Geo port. Ha!

I hear you... The whole Neo Geo thing was someone else idea, but I embraced it because I think it would be a neat project for someone to make the Jaguar Neo Geo compatible... It's got the core 68000 in there just like the SNK system; the only emulation needed would be the other processors like the sound and the graphics, but the Jag can handle it. It's more of a curiosity thing with me then anything.

Not the Neo Geo ports concept again. Never ever going to happen for a number of reasons.

Probably not... I'm not at a position to do it myself, but it wouldn't hurt to put it out there; I think someone will attempt it at some point in time. Too many agreeable circumstances for it not to happen as far as the hardware is concerned. :)

Hey look at that. You guys have ran off another one.

• Like 2

I hear you... The whole Neo Geo thing was someone else idea, but I embraced it because I think it would be a neat project for someone to make the Jaguar Neo Geo compatible... It's got the core 68000 in there just like the SNK system; the only emulation needed would be the other processors like the sound and the graphics, but the Jag can handle it. It's more of a curiosity thing with me then anything.

Probably not... I'm not at a position to do it myself, but it wouldn't hurt to put it out there; I think someone will attempt it at some point in time. Too many agreeable circumstances for it not to happen as far as the hardware is concerned. :)

I covered this in the past. What are you basing the "but the Jag can handle that" on? Just because they both have a 68k and Z80 doesn't mean a thing. Read up on the Neo Geo's buses and you'll quickly see why this isn't possible...among many other reasons.

• Like 4

I covered this in the past. What are you basing the "but the Jag can handle that" on? Just because they both have a 68k and Z80 doesn't mean a thing. Read up on the Neo Geo's buses and you'll quickly see why this isn't possible...among many other reasons.

Whatever you say guy... Just an idea I'm putting out there for fun discussion, but if you would be so kind, can you link you coverage of the matter so that I can read it?

The Jaguar is capable of running the games that were released for the Jaguar.

Here endeth the mystery.

And the Neo Geo is likely to be a nope.

Too much ROM data moving entirely too fast.

Faster than the JRISC processors...? The Jaguar is a 2D monster capable of doing much more than what the Neo Geo could do. Even if emulation wasn't possible, a decent port of a Neo Geo game isn't that far from a possibility provided the ROM size issue is taken care, which will be when the new SD cartridge come into play.

Edited: One more thing I like to add on a positive note... I actually like how Neo Geo handles all of that data using the little resources the system has as far as memory goes. They just had a few kilobytes of memory to work with yet they were able to use all of that graphical content and animation very effectively. It wouldn't be the first time me giving some accolades to the SNK console; I just admire how they used their system and made the most out of it.

Edited by philipj

I'd argue, but I've seen how successful CJ has been at talking sense to you. So I'll just wish you good luck in your porting efforts! :)

You know it doesn't have to always be a tit for tat argument over here... You guys somehow manage to make it that way. I'll respond to your quote with a previous replies. Besides I got real beef with CJ... The guy bought something to the table, I got to respect that whatever the disagreements.

Not the Neo Geo ports concept again. Never ever going to happen for a number of reasons.

Whatever you say guy... Just an idea I'm putting out there for fun discussion...

Edited by philipj

'Fun discussion' <> ignoring empirical facts or data. Saying 'boy this would be cool if it were true even though it isn't and never could be!' is a universe away from attempting to argue something is actually possible based on 'I feel like it is' and nothing else.

People repeatedly conflating these two disparate things is an ongoing problem in the Jag community, and an endless source of repeatedly parroted nonsense. It is also Very Annoying.

• Like 9

Before these clowns run you off, you gotta check out Shinto's podcasts.

• Like 1

You know it doesn't have to always be a tit for tat argument over here... You guys somehow manage to make it that way. I'll respond to your quote with a previous replies. Besides I got real beef with CJ... The guy bought something to the table, I got to respect that whatever the disagreements.

Typo error... I got no real beef with CJ.

Getting the jRISCS to 'emulate' the rest of the Neo Geo is impractical and likely impossible as several people have suggested. Trying to emulate or simulate the Neo Geo and dump its screen 60 times per second just wouldn't happen. Could the Jag natively throw around as many sprites as some Neo Geo games? Sure, at least from what I've seen. With RAM and ROM limitations (just for starters, never mind bus speed and game logic) the Jag likely would struggle with some Neo Geo games. But I won't speculate beyond that because personal, work, study/research, and business reasons prevent me from diving into RB+ (for the next few months, after that who knows... ;) ). But I don't presume to know better than people who actually know.

What I'd do (and suggest anyone with more time than me do) is to grab some sprites from here https://www.spriters-resource.com/neo_geo_ngcd/, then find the sounds, and then code something up in RB+. Anything. Rather than speculate, go do it. Much more productive than telling those who are intimately familiar with the system what it can or cannot do. If you can put together complex music using mod trackers philipj, you'll cope with Basic programming easily. I'm far from a great coder (mostly self-taught), yet I teach it, and have done so for nearly 20 years. If I can, anyone can.

I hope you stick around VintageGamer74. Some of us might be a bit testy at times, but it's likely because some of these discussions (this one in particular) have been going on for over twenty years, often with the most vocal people being the ones who haven't coded on the Jag (or on anything).

JagChris, calling people clowns, people who actually code for the system and work within it's parameters and limitations, doesn't seem particularly useful. I don't know what your beef if, but as someone who reads the forum every few days I've noted a bit of a 'tone' directed at certain people in some of your posts. I could be reading it wrong, but I don't think I am. I'm not the forum police (and wouldn't want to be) but back in the day we had a saying..."take it to PM"...it was usually salient advice and a better way to sort out problems than not so subtle digs that derail threads.

• Like 10