IGNORED

What was the Jaguar truly capable of?

NeoGeo64

3 hours ago, Linndrum said:

You guys attack him, then get mad when he retaliates. Wtf? I read through this whole thread at one point and never at any point did Vlad cast the first stone. You guys are like the 80's school bully that makes you hit yourself with your own fist. "Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!"

He's a programmer, doing cool projects, and writing a thread about it describing what he's doing. Somehow some of you decided that was worth attacking him for, wtf? I enjoy reading his posts and watching his engine progress so please stop trying to poke him with a stick and get him banned. I'd like to keep watching his projects grow.

I wish it was that way.

6 hours ago, Linndrum said:

You guys attack him, then get mad when he retaliates. Wtf? I read through this whole thread at one point and never at any point did Vlad cast the first stone. You guys are like the 80's school bully that makes you hit yourself with your own fist. "Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!"

He's a programmer, doing cool projects, and writing a thread about it describing what he's doing. Somehow some of you decided that was worth attacking him for, wtf? I enjoy reading his posts and watching his engine progress so please stop trying to poke him with a stick and get him banned. I'd like to keep watching his projects grow.

Really? Read this again:

On 9/2/2019 at 8:13 AM, VladR said:

So, according to you, 4 days of hardcore ASM Risc coding cannot be tedious and painful? Because it's "just" 4 days? 

Clearly you haven't tried it.

That pain, when you change one instruction and it stops working, or worse, only occasionally does, is very real. Unlike 68000 (which you shouldn't even need to debug in the first place because it's so easy and stable) debugging RISC code is problematic.

Which is exactly the reason why it's so rewarding when it finally does work.

But, how would you know that, if you only have been "coding" in the super high-level Basic with a full backend with audio&gfx libraries, that can be picked up and used literally by any two-bit simpleton that managed to finish first 6 grades of elementary school? ( Or, if you are from Europe, 4 grades of math are enough.)

Every single time I switch from RISC ASM to 68000 ASM, it feels like I switched to .NET/Java, that's how much more comfortable 68000 ASM is compared to RISC. And the reason why so many games were done in it as with couple smart macros you can almost have a C-style code.

Once you discover and document all illegal RISC instruction combinations, the pain subsides, though the switch to RISC is a bi*ch after a long stay in 68000 land.

But, it's both enjoyable and stressful at the same time. That's reality which you cannot see unless actually experience.

On 7/16/2018 at 5:23 PM, NeoGeo64 said:

If a highly talented and skilled team of programmers (such as the top coders at SEGA back in the mid 90s) who were intimately familiar with the Jaguar's hardware did some hardcore assembly programming with great resource utilization developed a game on the Jaguar using Tom and Jerry, instead of the M68K, what kind of 3D graphics would have been seen?

Why don’t you just compare how the most advanced Atari 2600 games look today versus the best 2600 games from back in the day and then using that analogy imagine how awesome the Jaguar Home brew games will be 25 years from now. No need for endless “what if” posts, just patience.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2019 at 12:45 PM, Linndrum said:

Because the moderators cleaned his crap out before you read it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2