IGNORED

Local Retro Store And Atari Carts

RugglesTx

10zwc2b.jpg

Stopped by a local retro store at lunch, been there once and picked up some GameCube, Dreamcast and PS1 Games.

Went in looking for 2600 and 7800 games as I remembered they had a good amount.

Picked up the ones above (the Pole Position is really PP 2 for 7800) for under $20 which is kinda nice :0 Just feels like a stack of games for under $20 is always cool.

Talking to the young clerk he said those carts had most likely been there for years and offered to clean them. That started a good conversation about the 2600 which a customer joined in on, he was young as well. They had pisituve things to say but what I found interesting was the comment he made about young customers buying 2600 games.

From what he said Some young kids buy the 2600 games as they want to develop games and the 2600 are a good to see basic game structure etc. I thought that made a lot of sense. Kinda cool to think that thats old games still have use outside of playing for enjoyment.

Edited by RugglesTx
  • Like 3

It's nice to have a conversation about atari with random people in real life once in a while, I find it's always older people and they get all nostalgic which I like, telling me about what games they had, it's a little like finding out a bit of fun from their childhood, which is kind of my own reason for still collecting atari.

Good prices you got too

It's nice to have a conversation about atari with random people in real life once in a while, I find it's always older people and they get all nostalgic which I like, telling me about what games they had, it's a little like finding out a bit of fun from their childhood, which is kind of my own reason for still collecting atari.

Good prices you got too

Thanks they are in fairly good shape too

10ykne8.jpg

It is nice to meet young folks that even care about the 2600 :0

Young clerk said his favorite game was Skate Boardin and the young customer said Kaboom.

They were talking about how basic the games were (not in a ugly way) and I had to remind them that most people went from Pong to the 2600, and that it was a huge leap. :0

Definitely solid prices! I stopped by a local store yesterday and rummaged through their Atari bin (only system that wasn't on display and organized) and they had random Colecovision and Intellivision games in there too lol...let me know if you want some more 7800 games. I have a few extras cart-only that I can let go for under the $5 per that you paid on PPII.

• Like 1

Definitely solid prices! I stopped by a local store yesterday and rummaged through their Atari bin (only system that wasn't on display and organized) and they had random Colecovision and Intellivision games in there too lol...let me know if you want some more 7800 games. I have a few extras cart-only that I can let go for under the $5 per that you paid on PPII.

I sent you a message on those 7800 games. Thanks :0

This store had all their Atari stuff out on shelves in alphabetical order by title. Pretty well organized. Only about 15 or so 7800 games but Around 150-175 2600 games.

• Like 1

From what he said Some young kids buy the 2600 games as they want to develop games and the 2600 are a good to see basic game structure etc. I thought that made a lot of sense. Kinda cool to think that thats old games still have use outside of playing for enjoyment.

That's true. Had a buddy who taught game design in college for awhile, and he used a lot of the old 8-bit era games as teaching tools for design and design evolution.

That's why the flashback units, flaws and all, are great. They allow young kids to grow up with them too.

• Like 1

Damn it..

Now I want a 5200..

Stupid hobby is going break me..

2qtxywx.jpg

Berzerk

Irish Whiskey

I blame them tonight :0

This is my lack of knowledge about the 5200 but is there anything groundbreaking or stand outs that arent on the 2600 or 7800?

This is my lack of knowledge about the 5200 but is there anything groundbreaking or stand outs that arent on the 2600 or 7800?

The 2600 and 7800 are much closer to each other electronically. The 5200 is a world apart from those two and it's essentially a stripped down and repackaged 8-bit computer. It's from the same family as the 400/800. What you can do on the 5200 you can essentially do on the 400/800.

Many games carts from the 8-bit computer lineup made it to the 5200. Think Star Raiders and other Atari-published 8-bit computer games.

But that's about it. The 5200 doesn't do anything that wasn't already done before.

Space Dungeon! A 5200 exclusive. It’s a great twin-stick shooter, that originally contained a controller holder (joystick coupler).

Heres a blog I wrote several years ago on buying a 5200. Some things have changed, but not too much.

http://retroauction.com/buying-and-selling-an-atari-5200/

Interesting read. My mind says no to a 5200 but my heart is saying maybe.

Some games on there I would like to play. Or could use the funds for some more homebrews on the 2600 and 7800.

Cant go wrong either way.

Edited by RugglesTx

Damn it..

Now I want a 5200..

Stupid hobby is going break me..

2qtxywx.jpg

Berzerk

Irish Whiskey

I blame them tonight :0

I'd recommend you go with an XEGS or 800xl. Same games, only 10,000 more of them, way more options for SD card loaders etc, and you don't have to deal with the wonky controllers. The Atari 8-bit line (XL/XE/XEGS/5200) is by far my favorite Atari game library.

• Like 1

I'd recommend you go with an XEGS or 800xl. Same games, only 10,000 more of them, way more options for SD card loaders etc, and you don't have to deal with the wonky controllers. The Atari 8-bit line (XL/XE/XEGS/5200) is by far my favorite Atari game library.

Had an Atari 400 back in the day, ahh the membrane keyboard...

Then went Apple IIc and then Amiga 2000 so never had that era of Atari computer, Ill look into them. Thanks

Is that also why all your pictures are upside down or sideways? :D

Or maybe you're the one who is upside down or sideways! :woozy:

:9

Im better today but yeah last night was a wee bit tipsy :0

I need to become better at posting, do it all on my phone so that is an issue for me :0

• Like 1