IGNORED

Playstation VR

GeekDragon

Do you have a link to the headphones you bought? I wouldn't mind looking at something like that.

These: https://www.bionikgaming.com/products/mantis

They're not perfect, but they're a better overall solution than anything else I've found. They stay attached to the headset and you just kind of flip them up when you put the headset on, then flip them back down. I was worried they'd scratch my precious headset, but they haven't. The only real downside is that they're on-ear vs. over the ear, and they're not really being held on to your ear securely, so they can move around a bit and they also don't block out much external sound. (That's ok for me because I play in a quiet room.)

But they're better than the included earbuds that fall out all the time, and they're more usable than a full size set of over the ear of headphones, which are just bulky and unwieldy when combined with the PSVR headset.

Do the newer headset modules fix the HDR issue? I pulled mine out of the console-tv chain because the PS4 Pro was saying the module didn't support HDR passing to the tv. Plus the motion sickness was real, so I wasn't bothered.

Do you have motion sickness issues with games where you're locked into place and just looking around? If not, I'd look into more of those. For me, anything with free movement like a traditional FPS style game, I want to vomit almost instantly. I have found that I am more than perfectly fine in games where I'm just standing in place and shooting at stuff with my hands (this is coming from a PC VR perspective though, I'm not sure what's available on PS VR).

They're not perfect, but they're a better overall solution than anything else I've found. They stay attached to the headset and you just kind of flip them up when you put the headset on, then flip them back down. I was worried they'd scratch my precious headset, but they haven't. The only real downside is that they're on-ear vs. over the ear, and they're not really being held on to your ear securely, so they can move around a bit and they also don't block out much external sound. (That's ok for me because I play in a quiet room.)

But they're better than the included earbuds that fall out all the time, and they're more usable than a full size set of over the ear of headphones, which are just bulky and unwieldy when combined with the PSVR headset.

Thanks. I'll take a look at them. I've been wanting something similar to what you are talking about.

There are a few things that definitely need to change with the next "generation" of VR:

• Built in headphones
  • Smaller overall design
  • Wireless all around
  • Built into the console itself (no exterior processor box)

If you couldn't tell from my list above, most of my complaints come from the overall bulkiness of the system and the "mess" it creates with all of the stuff that's needed. I still love PSVR though.

• Like 1

Do the newer headset modules fix the HDR issue? I pulled mine out of the console-tv chain because the PS4 Pro was saying the module didn't support HDR passing to the tv. Plus the motion sickness was real, so I wasn't bothered.

My understanding is that the newer version of the PSVR fixes the HDR issue between the Pro and 4K TVs. I've also heard of a work around with the original version where you use an HDMI distribution amplifier. In other words, it uses one HDMI input and splits it into two outputs. One output goes straight to the TV, so no loss of HDR functionality, and the other goes to your PSVR which will need to run to another input on your TV. This of course requires finding a distribution amplifier that is compatible with HDR.

The only real downside is that they're on-ear vs. over the ear, and they're not really being held on to your ear securely, so they can move around a bit and they also don't block out much external sound. (That's ok for me because I play in a quiet room.)

While I was researching the link you sent me, I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bionik-Over-Ear-Pads-Mantis-Playstation-4/dp/B07CX2JMMZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532053053&sr=8-1&keywords=mantis+headphones+psvr&dpID=410tZ2WIJsL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Certainly worth checking out if you prefer the "over the ear" style.

While I was researching the link you sent me, I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bionik-Over-Ear-Pads-Mantis-Playstation-4/dp/B07CX2JMMZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532053053&sr=8-1&keywords=mantis+headphones+psvr&dpID=410tZ2WIJsL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Certainly worth checking out if you prefer the "over the ear" style.

It seems like a good idea but reading the reviews, I'll probably just stick with the originals. It seems like the design of these puts the drivers further away from your ears and rests the rubber "cups" against the side of your head. Just doesn't seem like it was executed all that well. I don't know why they didn't use a regular cushioned outer cup, instead of that rubber looking thing. Cost, I guess.

Do you have motion sickness issues with games where you're locked into place and just looking around? If not, I'd look into more of those.

I do alright with those, but typically those are just kind of a novelty thing, like the ocean dive part of the VR sampler disc Sony issued when the headset first came out. I was looking to play a game like Dirty Rally in VR, that didn't work out. :( After being unable to play real titles due to the sickness, the HDR incompatibility, and the mess of cables everywhere, I just decided it wasn't worth leaving plugged up to mess about with the occasional stationary VR tour. I think the last shot I gave it was Skyrim VR, I was hoping something slower moving would be tolerable. It wasn't.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

This is next on my "to buy" list, but if you add up all the accessories it's like $700 for two move controllers, headphones, headset, camera, etc. Need to pinch my pennies for a while...but can't wait to be blown away by the VR experience.

Wait, what? It shouldn't be anywhere close to $700, unless you are buying the PS4 to go with it.

• Like 1

I would also recommend getting a usb hub. When everything was set up, we were out of usb ports and couldn't charge our controllers(we got the bundle with the move controllers) and had to scramble to find old phone chargers so we could use the plugs. We found a hub cheap on amazon and now we are all set.

Edited by GeekDragon

My understanding is that the newer version of the PSVR fixes the HDR issue between the Pro and 4K TVs. I've also heard of a work around with the original version where you use an HDMI distribution amplifier. In other words, it uses one HDMI input and splits it into two outputs. One output goes straight to the TV, so no loss of HDR functionality, and the other goes to your PSVR which will need to run to another input on your TV. This of course requires finding a distribution amplifier that is compatible with HDR.

Yes, version 2 is better and fixes a lot of issues, plus the head set is a lot lighter. So, I would recommend getting version 2.

Sprung for this bundle on ebay just now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Sony-PlayStation-VR-Worlds-Bundle-PS4-Virtual-Reality-Headset-PS-VR/223006583803

Included the headset, camera, two move controllers, and VR Worlds game for $350. Not bad! Just need the headphones now...

Cannot WAIT to get this setup!

Cannot WAIT to get this setup!

Be sure and hit the PS store and download any free VR stuff. One free "game" that comes to mind that is pretty cool is a Spiderman Homecoming VR mini-game. It's basically just an ad for the movie that was coming out at the time, but it's pretty fun to play Spidey if only for 15 minutes or so. There's plenty of free VR demo's as well. They are usually short, but for me that is perfect because the VR headset is best in small doses IMO.

• Like 3

I would also recommend getting a usb hub. When everything was set up, we were out of usb ports and couldn't charge our controllers(we got the bundle with the move controllers) and had to scramble to find old phone chargers so we could use the plugs. We found a hub cheap on amazon and now we are all set.

I cannot get my PS4 controllers (including the move controllers) to charge anywhere except plugged directly into the PS4. I use the cords that came with them, and it still won't work, even when plugged into high quality power adapters (that charge my Wii U pro controller and Wii U gamepad just fine).

I cannot get my PS4 controllers (including the move controllers) to charge anywhere except plugged directly into the PS4.

Get a charging stand for the PSVR. This is the one I have, though you can get it for less than this: https://www.amazon.com/Collective-Minds-Showcase-Rapid-Charge-Display/dp/B01LYGCK1M

It charges all my controllers, and acts as storage for both the controllers and headset. Makes everything a lot more tidy. One thing I like about it is that it has LED indicators for whether a controller's battery is charged or not.

• Like 2

Very nice. Your setup looks pretty similar to mine. There is a lot of stuff to hookup, but if you do it right, most of it can be hidden neatly and kept in place at all times. Then, all you have to do is plug in the headset, and you are ready to go. I bought a $10 headset storage bag at GameStop to store it when I'm not using it. It's only big enough for the headset and long cable, but it holds it perfectly and safely.

Also, your picture reminded me that the PS4 Pro has a USB port on the back (the first PlayStation console to do so). I always hated that Sony refused to put one on the back because I hate having a permanent wire plugged into the front and running around to the back. As far as I'm concerned, the front USB ports are just used for temporary things like charging or using wired controllers. Yours looks like a pro, so I'm curious what you have plugged into yours in the front.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried any of the "3D headphones?" I want to upgrade my headphones this year with a wireless set, and while I was shopping around I noticed that Sony has a headset that has "3D audio" for select VR games. What this means is that, while playing in compatible VR games, as you move your head around, the sound will change so that it always comes from the same direction. This sounds pretty cool, but of course there are a few downsides. Very few headsets offer this now and they are pricey. Also, not all VR games are compatible. And the part that really gets me is that if I understand it right, you have to have the headset plugged into the headphone port on the VR unit. That kind of sucks because it defeats the purpose of wireless headphones for me. The main reason why I wanted to buy a wireless headset was because I keep getting the wires tangled while I'm moving around in VR. I love VR, but the technical limitations of the first gen VR stuff is starting to show more and more.

PSVR audio is always 3D, regardless of what headphones you have.

Wireless headphones aren't supported because of lag and bandwidth. 3D audio is really important for VR because as you're moving your head around, the sound needs to move with whatever you're looking at. So Sony made the decision not to support wireless headphones.

PSVR audio is always 3D, regardless of what headphones you have.

Wireless headphones aren't supported because of lag and bandwidth. 3D audio is really important for VR because as you're moving your head around, the sound needs to move with whatever you're looking at. So Sony made the decision not to support wireless headphones.

I definitely agree that you want the 3D audio when you move your head around. No question there.

But I'm confused about the 3D audio working on any type of headphones. Why does Sony advertise that their Platinum headset has 3d compatibility while the Gold doesn't? Is it because the Platinum has a jack to run a cord from the headset to the VR headset while the Gold doesn't? If so, that seems a bit misleading. I was under the impression that only certain headphones would accept the 3D audio.

I guess the good news is that if I'm stuck using wired headphones with VR, I will just stick with the set I have (older Bose on-the-ear set). I still want a wireless set for when I'm playing my normal games, but that means I no longer need to shop for a set that works well with both VR and non-VR.

Thanks for the info. I was certainly missing one big piece of information there.

I just got Superhot in the mail yesterday. It is AWESOME. If you have the PSVR, get it now. Probably my favorite VR game so far. It's really intense. The only downside is that my VR set is getting kind of sweaty.

I got this recently and though frustrating at times it is very addictive.

Funny thing, there seems to be two kinds of games for VR in reality...ones where you need to squeegee your headset afterwards, and those that you don't! I've been giving Knockout League a break just because my headset is kinda gross by the end of a 30 minute session....

Played some VR last night. Still get a kick out of the Spiderman Homecoming Experience, my brother mentioned that there is a full Marvel VR game called Powers Unite, where you can play as various Marvel characters including Doctor Strange, Hulk and Wolverine, but unfortunately it isn't available on the Playstation. At least not yet. I hope it come to the PSN eventually. That just sounds too cool!

But I'm confused about the 3D audio working on any type of headphones. Why does Sony advertise that their Platinum headset has 3d compatibility while the Gold doesn't?

I dunno. I'm going by what Sony says about it in their FAQ here: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/10/02/playstation-vr-the-ultimate-faq/

Q: Do I need new headphones to experience 3D audio?
No, any wired stereo headphones or wired earbuds can support 3D audio. Stereo headphones are included with PS VR, but you can also use your preferred audio headsets if they feature a standard 3.5mm male connector.
The processor box is responsible for 3D audio. But it only works with wired headphones because of lag and bandwidth limitations with wireless headphones.
  • Like 1