IGNORED

Back in the saddle, have a few questions to get caught up

trajectory

Since getting my Jaguar out of storage, I've been having a blast reliving the good old days. The Jag was the first console I ever bought for myself, so it certainly has a warm place in my heart. That said, I'm not trying to fill my Jaguar library with anything that is available on another console or computer, or games that just aren't that much fun. I am not a collector, it's just about retro fun that can justify the high price tag that these games command now.

What Jaguar exclusives have been released post-JTS that are worth getting? Courtesy of Songbird's store, I have already added Iron Soldier 2, Breakout 2000, and Zero5. I'm pretty sure I want Rebooteroids and Jeff Minter Classics (even though it's not really a Jag exclusive). Anything else?

What Jaguar CD exclusives are there that are worth getting? I didn't find my Jaguar CD unit until more recently, so is Iron Soldier 2 on CD worth getting if I already have it on cartridge? Are there any unreleased demos or other such cool things that I can get for the JagCD? Basically, I know a working CD unit fetches a good price and I would happily sell it to someone who would make good use of it—unless there's something cool that I would need the CD unit for.

Games that were released during the Jag's "official" lifetime that I never played, but I am considering now: Alien vs Predator, Battlemorph, Defender 2000, Missile Command 3D, Power Drive Rally, Ultra Vortek, and Val d'Isere Skiing and Snowboarding. Have any of these games aged well—or aged poorly?

Thank you for sharing your opinions!

• Like 1

Thanks for mentioning Rebooteroids and Minter Clasics hope you enjoy them if you get them!

Other great homebrew to recommend (that are not extortionate priced) - Astrostorm and Escape 2042.

/trumpet

There are also releases from Piko Interactive.

I'd also recommend checking Gaztee's sticky thread at the top of this forum.

/trumpet blown.

Thanks for mentioning Rebooteroids and Minter Clasics hope you enjoy them if you get them!

Other great homebrew to recommend (that are not extortionate priced) - Astrostorm and Escape 2042.

/trumpet

There are also releases from Piko Interactive.

I'd also recommend checking Gaztee's sticky thread at the top of this forum.

/trumpet blown.

Nice to see you are still BLOWING your trumpet. Lol

You are in for a treat! Coming soon from a single dev is 3D Klax, HERO 3D, Road Rash 3DO port, Stun Runner, Pole Position, possibly some sort of F-Zero port and Virtua Racing. All in hi-res at 60fps, of course!

Games that were released during the Jag's "official" lifetime that I never played, but I am considering now: Alien vs Predator, Battlemorph, Defender 2000, Missile Command 3D, Power Drive Rally, Ultra Vortek, and Val d'Isere Skiing and Snowboarding. Have any of these games aged well—or aged poorly?

I think all of those are still fun and interesting, except for Missile Command 3D, which is slow and dumb and was never fun (opinion).

If you were just starting Jaguar cold, I'd say "just skip it all," but since you have fond memories of the thing, and don't need to spend stupid money on old hardware, you're likely to have a good time with all that. Those games are readily available and priced OK.

Okay, thank you. So I guess my last question is, where should I sell my CD unit? I don't need the highest amount ever, but a fair market rate, and I would rather it end up in the hands of someone who will play it, not someone who is just trying to hold on to it for monetary value.

It'd move pretty quickly in the market here. They are still in demand, hence the prices. You can always keep it around if you want to try out the homebrew games. Personally I think it has the worst fun per dollar ratio of any retro system or add-on. Well, maybe next to the CD-i.

• Like 5

It'd move pretty quickly in the market here. They are still in demand, hence the prices. You can always keep it around if you want to try out the homebrew games. Personally I think it has the worst fun per dollar ratio of any retro system or add-on. Well, maybe next to the CD-i.

IS the CD-I more money?

I don't really have "collections," but the Jaguar is probably the only one that's about as complete as it can get, and I keep adding to it. I do play all the games, but at some of the prices (which I know won't ever last), I question if I should just sell it all... but damn I still like the system... even though I shouldn't.

IS the CD-I more money?

Doubt it, but even if a CD-i is $10, the Jag CD has a better fun:dollar ratio.

I've been paring down my collections, no sense keeping stuff around I'll never or rarely play. Especially at the prices some of these things (Jag and otherwise) go for these days.

Okay, thank you. So I guess my last question is, where should I sell my CD unit? I don't need the highest amount ever, but a fair market rate, and I would rather it end up in the hands of someone who will play it, not someone who is just trying to hold on to it for monetary value.

Give it some thought first, man.

If you think you might regret selling it and want another one down the line, makes more sense to just hang onto it.

Jag CDs are daft money now. In a few years you'll need to take out a mortgage to get one.

Jag CDs are daft money now. In a few years you'll need to take out a mortgage to get one.

... or realize you didn't need one in the first place.

I have one, been sitting in a container for ever, meant to give Orion Alice's Mom Rescue a bit of love, never got time to actually play it for more than 2 minutes ... argghhhh

Give it some thought first, man.

If you think you might regret selling it and want another one down the line, makes more sense to just hang onto it.

This exactly. There are a few homebrew titles that have never been released on cart, which means that your only way of playing them on a real Jag right now without a Skunkboard is by burning them to CD. While I wouldn't say they're worth the price of buying a Jag CD, they're enough to give you a reason to hold onto one until you get a Skunkboard or another option of playing them.

• Like 3

Curiosity, what are you planning on keeping?

The usual "greatest hits" games that are mentioned here plus a few others and probably all of the homebrew I've purchased. Oh and Club Drive, just because it's not worth the cost of shipping it. For Jag CD of the OG retail games, probably just Battlemorph and Hover Strike...WTR if you count that too. Keeping high $$$ games like Primal Rage and Brain Dead around for no reason makes no sense and purging the extras always feels good.

This exactly. There are a few homebrew titles that have never been released on cart, which means that your only way of playing them on a real Jag right now without a Skunkboard is by burning them to CD. While I wouldn't say they're worth the price of buying a Jag CD, they're enough to give you a reason to hold onto one until you get a Skunkboard or another option of playing them.

What are some of the homebrew CD-only titles that you recommend? I'm very iffy on parting ways with the CD unit because it does have a lot of nostalgic value to me, but I can't justify keeping it from someone else if I'm not really going to use it. Also, do you know where I can burn a boot disc?

I'm very iffy on parting ways with the CD unit because it does have a lot of nostalgic value to me, but I can't justify keeping it from someone else if I'm not really going to use it.

As Aristotle once said:

"Fuck everyone else" ;)

This sounds like a recipe for regret, man.

Hang onto it.