IGNORED

Bentley Bear Pokey version availiability?

Stevaside

Was planning on finally picking it up soon, but just now realized that although it has been listed in the store there's no "add to cart" option & apparently it's out of stock :( :_(

Any word on when more might come in, if they even are expected anytime in the near future? Been wanting this game forever, but don't have any carts to sacrifice & would rather just buy one with the chip already in it

Was planning on finally picking it up soon, but just now realized that although it has been listed in the store there's no "add to cart" option & apparently it's out of stock :( :_(

Any word on when more might come in, if they even are expected anytime in the near future? Been wanting this game forever, but don't have any carts to sacrifice & would rather just buy one with the chip already in it

I don’t think the Pokey provided version will ever be offered again in the store. I think that was a limited offer with a few remaining chips that Al had. I think the “Bring your ow. Pokey” will be the only thing offered going forward. Granted Albert knows best. But knowing that I have provided 3 donor Ballblazer’s to get BBCQ, Pac-Man Collection Pokey and Beef Drop Pokey oh wait 4 also Super Circus Atari, Al doesn’t have a warehouse of pokeys any more and warehouse is probably a huge exaggeration of the small supply that he before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Best bet might be buying a 7800 game lot on eBay for a donor chip, seems the cheapest way to get a cart with one in it. Thats my plan at some point.

• Like 1

Best bet might be buying a 7800 game lot on eBay for a donor chip, seems the cheapest way to get a cart with one in it. Thats my plan at some point.

:? Cheapest Ballblazer on Ebay now is going for $30...so unless I can dig around online & find it for slightly cheaper , combined with the shipping costs guess I'm looking at close to $90 for this game ??

Edited by Stevaside
  • Like 1

:? Cheapest Ballblazer on Ebay now is going for $30...so unless I can dig around online & find it for slightly cheaper , combined with the shipping costs guess I'm looking at close to $90 for this game ??

If that is the route you choose, that may very well be the case.
The game with POKEY chip was made available a few times throughout last year.
This who support the site as a subscriber were provided a chance at owing a copy at the end of March (Link works for subscribers only), last year.
Also, the middle of July and in November, Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest with POKEY chip was made available in the store. The game with POKEY chip was also present at a couple of the gaming expos.
It was stated after the last mass release and touched upon by groundtrooper above, until either a substitute POKEY replacement chip is made available or some hidden stash of POKEY chips was miraculously discovered, going forward, individuals who want the game would have to supply their own POKEY chip. How that chip is sourced is up to the person supplying it.

I am surprised that there hasn't been some attempt to create new Pokeys or create some kind of hardware emulation solution at this point. It must be more complicated than its SID colleague.

There has been. Do a search for “HOKEY.” But it was never finished and/or had enough compatibility issues that it wasn’t released. POKEY has also been implemented in FPGA but until those can be produced and incorporated into a cart design for substantially less than a real POKEY costs ($20 or so) there’s little incentive to build replacements. Instead innocent BALLBLAZER carts, broken 600XLs and 5200s are sacrificed as donors.

• Like 1

I missed the initial run of Bentley Bear and Circus Atariage with the pokey chips but jumped on the ones without the pokey chips and I'm glad I did as they are both great games. I found two donor ballblazer carts on Ebay at a reasonable price and sent them into AL and he did the rest. These two games belong in every 7800 collection

Just set an alert for Ballblazer on eBay. You'll be able to get one for cheaper. I got one for $17.95 inclusive of shipping the other day.

• Like 2

One has to wonder if the sudden surge in price for BallBlazer is due to the demand for the hokey pokey? It certainly turned itself around...but then...that's what it's all about. Ok, that's enough for today. :-D

LOL! But I can't think of another reason for a doubling in price of pokeys and BBs over the last year.

Just to clarify, everyone does realize that the Pokey were used in much more than just the 8-bit line and 2 official 7800 games right? There are lots of arcade guys out there outside of our home console hobby that also need the pokey chips to repair sound on arcade machines. Quad pokey setups being the worst of the lot.

So again, you have to realize that the lack of pokeys is not just because of 7800 homebrews, but the arcade side of collecting and repair is a huge part of it also and the arcade groups complain about the lack and cost of pokeys as much as we do and maybe even more?

• Like 2

Just to clarify, everyone does realize that the Pokey were used in much more than just the 8-bit line and 2 official 7800 games right? There are lots of arcade guys out there outside of our home console hobby that also need the pokey chips to repair sound on arcade machines. Quad pokey setups being the worst of the lot.

So again, you have to realize that the lack of pokeys is not just because of 7800 homebrews, but the arcade side of collecting and repair is a huge part of it also and the arcade groups complain about the lack and cost of pokeys as much as we do and maybe even more?

Sure, but ... you only need one POKEY per Asteroids cab, for instance, versus the dozens or hundreds that could be utilized for 7800 homebrews if the chips were cheaper. And more importantly perhaps, arcade cabs have plenty of space inside and excess power available to support FPGA clones if necessary. 7800 carts have neither. Edited by DrVenkman

Sure, but ... you only need one POKEY per Asteroids cab, for instance, versus the dozens or hundreds that could be utilized for 7800 homebrews if the chips were cheaper. And more importantly perhaps, arcade cabs have plenty of space inside and excess power available to support FPGA clones if necessary. 7800 carts have neither.

It is very possible there are more asteroids cabs alive in collectors and in arcades in use today than homebrew games that require pokeys. And sure Asteroids might only need 1 chip, but Tempest doesn't... lots of other Atari arcade games use more than one pokey in them. So we can't put the blame squarely on the 7800 homebrew market here. The arcade collectors, sellers, and restore...

But it does surprise me that with the demand and use of the Pokey across the entire 8-bit line and the arcades, you would think that was a large enough demographic alone to warrant a pokey replacement already existing? They managed to make replicas for the star field generator chips used in Galaga...why not a pokey replacement by now?

• Like 2