IGNORED

Travails with a non working Secam Colecovision console

zCRP

Looking at the VDP datasheet, the difference between 9928A and 9929A is that the former has a 525 line format, and the latter 625. Other than that, they should both be perfectly software compatible and pin identical, and both have removed the NTSC output feature replacing it with chroma/luma signals.

The original VDP in the secam console has a heatsink attached and I have found no way to remove it without damaging the chip, so I have no way to be sure what the exact model is, and there are also no schematics for the secam (or PAL for that matter) model around.

What I can say is that I took the secam VDP chip, dropped it into a working pal cv, and it worked perfectly fine. Also, if I take the 9928A chip and place it inside the secam cv, I get the same "artifacts" that I have with the original chip. So I believe that they are for our purposes equivalent.

• 1 month later...

Update: the remaining video issues were due to the fact that the "official" scart cable supplied with the French CV has only one ground connection on the shield. Apparently my monitor needs the other ground connections as well, so I soldered a few bridges inside the connector joining shield with various ground pins and now everything works perfectly ;)