IGNORED

1088XLD - Custom A8 Computer in 1050 Drive Case

mytek

Creeping ever closer ... This is one pretty board. :)

I think this design will be my pièce de résistance :) . Looking good Herb :thumbsup: .

Cool to see the Brewing Academy info on the UAV.

It'll also be on the main board when it goes into production, taking the place of my AtariBits logo.

• Like 3

English, as most languages, is a potpourri of borrowed words ;)

It is indeed, though the Norman conquest of 1066 and the subsequent continued regular use of French by the Court and aristocracy for a few hundred years more no doubt gave the whole process a kickstart.

• Like 1

Inching closer ... (assuming all my Atari IC's work!) ... I need to program the PIC microcontrollers for the MIDI controller, VGATE function, keyboard and mouse, and then build a cable. With luck it might even work. :P

post-30400-0-50882800-1553377163_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-03450200-1553377177_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-71573000-1553377190_thumb.jpg

This machine is currently sporting chips from a 130XE (SALLY and PIA), 5200 (ANTIC, GTIA and POKEY), and an 800XL (second POKEY).

post-30400-0-05725200-1553377207_thumb.jpg

Not super-happy with the case mod for the DIN jack but not too upset either. I've never modded a case before. I'll clean it up down the line with a fine file.

post-30400-0-81670500-1553377237_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

DrVenkman's 1088XLD is about to become the 2nd complete unit on this planet, with more to come shortly. His board is from a limited batch run of 15 pieces. These boards will be the only ones sporting the AtariBits logo. The next batch to follow will hopefully be the production series, assuming that nothing bad is seen during the beta test cycle. The production boards will come with the Brewing Academy logo imprinted on the board's silk screen, or to be more specific MacRorie's AtariAge avatar. And if you haven't guessed it by now, MacRorie will be producing and selling the 1088XLD.

post-42561-0-71399300-1553407269.png photo-16779.png?_r=1424807136

But we're not there yet, so don't expect to see these on his website for a few months. However I'm pretty sure that when the time is right there will be an announcement of the availability.

Stay tuned for more info to come...

BTW, if you are curious about where all of those first 15 boards are going, just check out the board silk screen to see where at least half of them have ended up. Also I will likely keep a few for myself (including the first one that I assembled already), so that leaves only a couple of extras that might make there way out to a few shows, or into the hands of 3rd party developers.

• Like 6

I'm expecting the full BOM to arrive tomorrow. I won't be able to start work on the board tomorrow unfortunately. Hopefully I'll be mostly assembled by this coming weekend.

The remaining pieces I need from The Brewing Academy should arrive tomorrow for me. My goal is to power up by next weekend. I can't wait!
  • Like 3

I've now built a cable (DIN13 connectors are of the Devil, children. I think I aged 5 years in the time it took me to make it!). Hopefully it'll even work.

post-30400-0-20390100-1553458282_thumb.jpg

And my PIC chips are now programmed and ready to install. After that, I should be ready for a power-up test.

post-30400-0-30249300-1553458331_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-26552000-1553458320_thumb.jpg

Ugh. The anticipation/anxiety. I feel like I need a stiff drink and the time to re-read SOUL OF A NEW MACHINE before I attempt it. :)

• Like 5

OK - insanely pissed off right now. I've only done this kind of work since 1994.

What did I ruin tonight? Well. RN7 and RN8 went in upside down. This was after I said to myself should I socket them like I did in my 1088XEL? Nah I say. It's just a resistor network. Put them in.

Then, RN1. I go to solder it in, and notice one pin is not through the PCB. Only had 2 other pins soldered. Go to pop it out, and 3 pins rip off the DIP. Magical.

So, 1st night after getting my BOM, I ruin 3 resistor networks. This kind of shit would get a new guy fired when I was working stuffing PCBs.

Done for now. MAJOR FAIL.

OK - insanely pissed off right now. I've only done this kind of work since 1994.

What did I ruin tonight? Well. RN7 and RN8 went in upside down. This was after I said to myself should I socket them like I did in my 1088XEL? Nah I say. It's just a resistor network. Put them in.

Then, RN1. I go to solder it in, and notice one pin is not through the PCB. Only had 2 other pins soldered. Go to pop it out, and 3 pins rip off the DIP. Magical.

So, 1st night after getting my BOM, I ruin 3 resistor networks. This kind of shit would get a new guy fired when I was working stuffing PCBs.

Done for now. MAJOR FAIL.

RN1, RN7, and RN8 can be installed upside down... it doesn't matter since they have parallel resistors in the network. So please leave them alone, they are just fine. However I wish I had caught you before you tried to desolder RN1, because I would have suggested bending the unconnected pin as best you can so that it could be soldered to the top of the pad.

Go have a beer and relax :) .

• Like 3

It's OK - the project will continue. I am beyond a perfectionist, and I also did this as a full time job for many years.

All will be OK :)

Get the gremlins out of the way early and then it should all be plain sailing.

*wanders off to order a 13 pin cable*

• Like 4

No - I just used soap and water to clean any dirt, and then 40 vol cream peroxide wrapped in seran wrap out in the sun. I sure hope is stays nice like this.

Wait, when has there been sun recently :D

Also, good progress on your board, I told you you would be ahead of me LOL

Edited by orpheuswaking

Wait, when has there been sun recently :D

Also, good progress on your board, I told you you would be ahead of me LOL

I had restored that 1050 case way back in 2011 and was going to install a Happy. The drive never worked so I just left it boxed for the past 8 years. Glad I never get rid of anything :)

• Like 1

How about dressing up the 1050 case with some vinyl wrap. Look how the80sman dressed up his Atari Flashback Ultimate with wood grain and a Centipede image http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275619-the-raspberry-pi-and-retropie-discussion-thread/page-8?do=findComment&comment=4145295

Carbon Fiber would look great https://vvividshop.com/

• Like 1