IGNORED

1088XLD - Custom A8 Computer in 1050 Drive Case

mytek

How about dressing up the 1050 case with some vinyl wrap. Look how the80sman dressed up his Atari Flashback Ultimate with wood grain and a Centipede image http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275619-the-raspberry-pi-and-retropie-discussion-thread/page-8?do=findComment&comment=4145295

Carbon Fiber would look great https://vvividshop.com/

How about if I used vinyl wrap it would look like garbage LOL

Congrats!!! Wonderful bringing up a completely hand built system for the 1st time isn't it? It's a true time machine back to 1979 when this machine was new. Cool anniversary isn't it - 400/800 was released in early 1979, 1088XLDs are coming to life in 2019.

• Like 3

Now you're having fun :) .

Must feel very good to get past that glitch that caused the main oscillator not to work, and start using the system.

Yep!!! Nice to see I've only made 1 (major, lol) mistake during my build so far. Of course until I get the IDE cable I won't be able to test the PBI/CF card stuff. I don't have cart connectors yet either (grrrr ....!) so I can't test cartridge access, which is admittedly not a big consideration for this machine. I will test the MIDI jacks and stuff this afternoon/evening. :)

sorry, quick question, is there a reason not to use the latest SDX? (I notice 4.46 in the shot above)

-Thom

It's what came on the Ultimate 1MB board I bought from Lotharek a couple months back, along with that eyesore "ULRIMARE" BIOS, lol. I haven't yet updated it but I'll get to that tonight as well.

• Like 1

Well, I made much better progress than I thought I would this evening. All soldering is done, save for the Level 2 board. No pics of the back yet as the board is still caked in flux.

It's neat - take and my previous image, it's a great before & after, almost perfectly lined up. Wish I could properly edit photos to make them match.

BTW - I'll have more images posted in higher resolution at my Flickr site - 1088XLD album is https://www.flickr.com/photos/75619516@N06/albums/72157705660251381

post-650-0-29431600-1553991046_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

sorry, quick question, is there a reason not to use the latest SDX? (I notice 4.46 in the shot above)

-Thom

I am (unhappily) running 4.47 currently. SDX 4.48 was a total lock-up for me because I have a 16 bit CPU but NO linear RAM above 64K.

SDX 4.49 runs, but I get Error-144 (device done - Write protect, Printer out of paper, etc.) errors all the time for no reason.

This has NEVER happened to me using SDX 4.47.

It is difficult (but possible) to use PCL: devices.

The files are always intact and error free, that is my main concern.

The latest I have seen is the released 4.49c, and there is also a 4.49d floating around. Neither of them fix the Error-144 problem.

We are sort of stuck at this point. I hope this is resolved soon.

There is now a very simple 1088XLD landing page on my website: https://ataribits.weebly.com/1088xld.html

In the near future, this will be the page to go to in order to get the latest project documentation. And pretty soon I hope to be uploading a full schematic and BOM which Dropcheck has been so kindly putting together.

The official source for the boards will be coming directly from The Brewing Academy once the beta testing is completed.

• Like 5

Very cool Michael!

I think I need to acquire a third 1050 .. my stack is too asymmetrical. :)

eca69f91991a27ec24f0a13eadaca45f.jpg

Nice :thumbsup: . Although I think I would put the actual 1050 floppy drive on top for better disk accessibility ;) .

• Like 6

Yes - I hope it doesn't re-yellow on me. Oddly, none of the gear I owned ever turned colour. Non smoker, and always covered, out of sunlight, and temp stored. I am a "night owl". Light sensitive, prefer the dark, etc. This was an ebay item, broken, that I was trying to fix.

Oh - no tricks. 40 vol cream lightener, saran wrap, and sunlight. Re-applied every 30 minutes for 3 hours, and I had this perfect result. Ambient temp was 73, moderate humidity when I did this (outdoors).

where do you find 40 volume cream lightener?

Douglas

Douglas

Was a LONG time ago that I got it - the bottle I had dried out. But I got it from a local hair care salon. I'd post a pic of the bottle but got rid of it when it turned solid on me.

Well, I made much better progress than I thought I would this evening. All soldering is done, save for the Level 2 board. No pics of the back yet as the board is still caked in flux.

It's neat - take and my previous image, it's a great before & after, almost perfectly lined up. Wish I could properly edit photos to make them match.

BTW - I'll have more images posted in higher resolution at my Flickr site - 1088XLD album is https://www.flickr.com/photos/75619516@N06/albums/72157705660251381

attachicon.gif34.jpg

So the cartridge slot will have to be milled out of the top case? The 90 degree angled slot of the 1200XL could work here with an extension to the backplate?? just haven't seen the cart come to fruition yet.

You can find it at a place like Sallys Beauty Supply. I used the same stuff to retrobrite my Ugly Duckling 1200XL about 22 months ago. No re-yellowing yet, but these days that machine is upstairs in my 8-Bit Attic, out of bright sunlight and well away from the windows.

So the cartridge slot will have to be milled out of the top case? The 90 degree angled slot of the 1200XL could work here with an extension to the backplate?? just haven't seen the cart come to fruition yet.

Just to be 100% clear, since this is going to be asked a lot I expect, cartridge use with this machine is going to be a decidedly secondary consideration. The cart port/ECI connectors are there but the component spacing is very tight, even without a cartridge tunnel. Insiderting carts down into the box from a hole cut into the top is likely to be a non-starter. You *CAN* fit something small and thin inside like an UNO Cart; what I intend to do when I call it done is to get a second UNO Cart and keep one inside the machine full-time. Jons new BIOS has the option to disable cartridge ROM; that way theres no need to remove the cart physically, merely turn it off via a BIOS menu option, then re-enable it when necessary.

Another option will be something like Dropchecks cartridge port extenders. Perhaps replace the Level 2 I/O board with a front cartridge port and a buffered cable to the cart/ECI connector on the main PCB, or the same sort of thing mounted to the back (which would require case mods).

But again - cartridge use is not the primary aim for this thing. It is what it is. :)

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 2

My IDE cable finally arrived today from China (16 days after order ...). So my CF card interface is up and running! :)

post-30400-0-54460300-1554585276_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-99875300-1554585288_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-71565000-1554585299_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-94370900-1554585350_thumb.jpg

So next week or two I need to order a front panel, repaint the case and see about finishing this project. :)

• Like 3

But... where does my Ethernet cable plug in? I would also like a connection to a time machine, so I could go back in time

and warn myself about my first wife! This has soooo much potential, could you many add a couple of more connections? :)

DavidMil

Yeah - this machine was never really intended to run carts, given the built in CF3 adapter and HDD functionality. I won't be cutting my case, everything will run from CF for this one.