IGNORED

1088XLD - Custom A8 Computer in 1050 Drive Case

mytek

31 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

Those traces sometimes did break because of SIO connector movement, but just as often the problem was the one sided poor quality pcb used.  That's not the issue with these boards.

Right, but it's always best to build a Maybach instead of a chevy. [The cost is so SMALL for the bolts, lockwashers and nuts.]

Edit: To make it CLEAR, I am NOT personally attacking Dr. V.! This is meant to educate future builders to build QUALITY products.

That's all.

Edited by Kyle22

23 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Riveting!

#MikeDrop

I can't get the precise ability for just the right "squeeze" from a rivet, else I would have used them.  Since I am a metal worker, the stuff I have is heavy duty - it would have damaged the SIO connector without doubt, and possibly been too tight a squeeze for even the PCB.  You know - it's that difference between pink and purple.

• Like 1

Atari did use rivets on some products, but, you know. They're not the best. Do it RIGHT. PERMANENT when installed, but easily removable / replaceable is always nice.

Bolts & nuts & lockwashers all the way. Stainless steel, preferably. :)

This is all about quality.

Edited by Kyle22
spacing :(

I've always been a fan of Nyloc nuts and a drop of Loctite myself, saves a lot of fiddling about with spring washers. 

23 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I can't get the precise ability for just the right "squeeze" from a rivet

If I were to actually try and Rivet a PCB I'd shatter it for sure

9 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

Yes, Doc. You hit it on the head. We should be an example of perfection, not cheapness (like my 'employer' [Bank] is).

This thread is to educate people on the construction of these wonderful devices. Please DO IT RIGHT.

:)

Looking forward to seeing your and _The Doctor_’s 1088XLD’s. When do you plan to start? :) 

8 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Herb isn't the only one with glue gun envy :) 

MIL-SPEC aviation epoxy plus friction welded pins. 

ALSO: one final data point: this is the original dead 1050 board I used prior to salvaging the connectors and power switch/jack. Note what’s not there, on either jack. ;) 

Everyone have a great day. 

D40946E1-6D83-4C8D-901A-019F6AF99D06.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/16/2019 at 12:27 PM, MacRorie said:

As you may have noticed, I have not made the huge announcement that I usually do.  I will do a big push on Monday.  For now, it is live and ready to go: 1088XLD Ready and Waiting for your orders!

You should also meet BoB!

I went this morning on the XLD page on your website and I see, in the Nota Bene, that the red and blue bare boards (not the black ones) may have errors.

Does it mean that we must buy black bare boards to be sure that there is no error or is it because the Nota Bene has been written before the black board availability ?

2 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

dead 1050? :( why not fix?

Because the mech was physically damaged by a prior owner and I have other working units, as I detailed months ago in this very thread. 

But hey, rather than post something constructive and useful about Michael’s project here, how about looking for more reasons for passive-aggressive insults to my work and work ethic? :) 

For that matter, why don’t you broaden the criticism to the very use of a 1050 case to house the project? And where do you think we’re getting the SIO ports, power toggles and jacks anyway? If you guessed “dead 1050” you win!

You know what, let's stop this BS before yet another topic gets locked down. Yes everyone has their expert opinion and loves to get on the soap box and preach it to the world, but there is a point where it simply gets ridiculous and pointless. I think we are rapidly approaching that point, if not already passed it.

So please before posting anymore in this thread, ask yourself how does what you are about to say really benefit anyone else.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ebiguy said:

I went this morning on the XLD page on your website and I see, in the Nota Bene, that the red and blue bare boards (not the black ones) may have errors.

Does it mean that we must buy black bare boards to be sure that there is no error or is it because the Nota Bene has been written before the black board availability ?

The red and blue boards will be the first production boards, and the design had a few small changes from the ones that the beta testers built. Most likely all is fine, but until at least one board has been built and thoroughly tested from this batch there is always the slight chance that an error snuck into the design that might require a small mod in order to correct it. I really doubt that this will be the case, since the changes were nothing of great significance. But better to mention it so everyone is aware of the possibility.

Perhaps we are jumping the gun on releasing the bare boards from this batch, but a few people did seem like they were itching to get their hands on one :) .

• Like 2

wow...

I'd of sent you a mech if you were interested, based on the tone I'd think not now. What I said was not strongly worded and the least forceful of some of the comments you received. I offered up something that didn't out right criticize your choice but rather improves on what you had to work with. That being a common practice for your choice, a form of thread locker and fixative.

Edited by _The Doctor__

https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/1088xld-by-mytek?variant=29484758073446

for those who want to join in, you can select bare boards on up to fully tested.

a few folks have said they will be printing cases or provide some interesting case choices.

1050's beyond repair make a nice choice too. Keeping a nice Atari case in use!

2 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

few folks have said they will be printing cases or provide some interesting case choices

Who? The XLD is literally designed to fit into a dead 1050 case, I haven't seen anyone say they will be offering alternative cases. The XEL is a different story, lots of choice, case wise there. 

• Like 1

really...  I was one of the folks mulling it over, another individual was thinking the same but felt it was too big for his printer. A modular approach didn't seem to get much traction. Perhaps a bigger bed or larger printer seemed to be the direction he voiced. Large glass heated print beds are expensive though, you can get cheaper made of other materials but imho they aren't nearly the same.

I was thinking of making an XF style case with the height increased by a third, I could have it in a stack of XF's that way and it would blend in well. A nice neat stack. The other Idea was to re-case the keyboard in a printed case. Making it XE stylized or XL stylized, but that would only work per hobbyist since everyone has different keyboard choices. I doesn't seem likely folks want a generic keyboard already re cased. People are picky about their keyboards.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Hey Doc

I't wouldn't take to much to use an original XEGS style keyboard, sure the electronics need to be replaced, perhaps with that or a PS/2 keyboard controller, issue would be sorting out the matrix, and getting the connections correct. although it maybe easier to remap TKII with alternative software, rather than hardware, apart from a few additional button's 

shame it wouldn't look right with a 1050 case your xf case may well suit..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

really...  I was one of the folks mulling it over, another individual was thinking the same but felt it was too big for his printer. A modular approach didn't seem to get much traction. Perhaps a bigger bed or larger printer seemed to be the direction he voiced. Large glass heated print beds are expensive though, you can get cheaper made of other materials but imho they aren't nearly the same.

I was thinking of making an XF style case with the height increased by a third, I could have it in a stack of XF's that way and it would blend in well. A nice neat stack. The other Idea was to re-case the keyboard in a printed case. Making it XE stylized or XL stylized, but that would only work per hobbyist since everyone has different keyboard choices. I doesn't seem likely folks want a generic keyboard already re cased. People are picky about their keyboards.

Again, 

this project was designed to fit into a 1050 case, if you want to go ahead and print up your own go right ahead but don't lambast someone for their desire to do exactly what this was designed for with a dead 1050. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

Again, 

this project was designed to fit into a 1050 case, if you want to go ahead and print up your own go right ahead but don't lambast someone for their desire to do exactly what this was designed for with a dead 1050. 

no one got lambasted. pile on. but thanks for your permission to continue with my plans. I didn't realize selecting a different case that takes up approximately the same real estate was an offense. I commend people for re-purposing dead beyond repair 1050 cases preventing a quality Atari case from going to the land fill and this is what I get. Not exactly surprised though. 1088XLD is nice in any 'case'. The more options the merrier. All the rest of this stuff is just subterfuge as people run to respective corners for no apparent reason. The only issue I had was junking perfectly good 1050's for their cases, there are plenty of beyond repair units to choose from. I still subscribe to repairing the drives if possible.

Edited by _The Doctor__