IGNORED

1088XLD - Custom A8 Computer in 1050 Drive Case

mytek

Michael

Nice to hear your still working on the GBS8200 solution. I've managed to mount one inverted in the taller 80mm case of an XEL using and arduino micro to program. used the HDD mounting plate so no change to the Case lid.

Looking forward to recieving my boards now, just found mind are being held for a customs payment of $34..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finishing touch (for now) on the XLD is complete.  I have a working VBXE (my first one even though I have an original run from Candle among other I never installed).  Check the builder's club - I will post my explicit pinouts for the various connectors.

92.thumb.jpg.4b8fe6dfc2a5d7303065ccd14634efb6.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some more nerd candy. I scanned a set of red production main boards on my flat bed scanner at 600 DPI to yield this result.

1088XLD_RED_top.JPG

1088XLD_RED_bot.JPG

These can be zoomed in for extreme detail. So much so, that you'll likely see dust particles that were present on the boards when I put them in the scanner. Please don't let those visual aberrations mislead you into thinking the quality of the PCB fabrication is not numero ono A+ and of the highest quality. Only my scans are a poorer quality than reality ;) .

• Like 7

WHAT is wrong with this picture?

Turns out i didn't notice the fact the pins had no holes.

Two 18 pin gold machine pin sockets were bad. 

My repair is to suck as much solder out as you can with a hot soldered wet wick, then cut the plastic away so that you can get to the pins..

Then a hand drill and the correct bit to clear the via's of solder..

drill from the solder side to clear the holes to ensure you don't destroy a pad. 

This board has great via's and you can do it!

Douglas

IMG_0018[293].jpg

On 8/23/2019 at 4:52 AM, ebiguy said:

I went this morning on the XLD page on your website and I see, in the Nota Bene, that the red and blue bare boards (not the black ones) may have errors.

Does it mean that we must buy black bare boards to be sure that there is no error or is it because the Nota Bene has been written before the black board availability ?

Black boards have been built and tested.  Red & Blue boards have been built and tested.  Although there is never 100% certainty, it appears we are good to go.

1088XLD Black Board sets & build are now available.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/1088xel-xld/products/1088xld-by-mytek?variant=29484777439334

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MacRorie said:

Black boards have been built and tested.  Red & Blue boards have been built and tested.  Although there is never 100% certainty, it appears we are good to go.

1088XLD Black Board sets & build are now available.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/1088xel-xld/products/1088xld-by-mytek?variant=29484777439334

Thank you for the information. That's a great news !

And what about the availability of the moded 1050 cases ?

Just now, orpheuswaking said:

What is modded on them?

You will get the following:

• 1050 Case Cleaned & Painted
  • New rubber feet installed
  • All posts verified suitable for use as a 1088XLD case
  • Video Port has been suitably filed and drilled so you don't have to
  • Metal strip has been replaced with the XLD piping

• Like 4

I just ordered from Mac the Black boards, so they will join my Red boards.  I'm trying to finish up on my 3d printer & CNC projects before my rotator cuff surgery here soon.  I have loaded my BOM with Digi-Key for 1088XLD but have not submitted it yet.  Need more time!!!!! 

• Like 5

On 9/20/2019 at 3:27 PM, MacRorie said:

You will get the following:

• 1050 Case Cleaned & Painted
  • New rubber feet installed
  • All posts verified suitable for use as a 1088XLD case
  • Video Port has been suitably filed and drilled so you don't have to
  • Metal strip has been replaced with the XLD piping

I may just have to purchase one instead of using a working one 

11 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

I may just have to purchase one instead of using a working one 

The bonus part is that all of the 1050 cases I produce come from certified dead dead dead 1050s, so no working 1050 (or even a recoverable one) was sacrificed. ;-)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 1088XLD mod board set is done.  I'm still working on the design and fit of the two bezels needed, rear and front.

The full set includes:

Front Level 2 I/O board (mounting for CF and Cartridge Guide)

1088XLD Cartridge Guide Extension Set(2 piece pcb with cable)

Rear Level 1 I/O board(Wifi Serial and Parallel Printer port with Midi Connectors)

At this time bare boards will not be sold separately.  The primary reason is that this is just not a solder and use it case.   The ESP-07 module used has to be programmed with custom firmware and that process is not very straight forward.  There's also some tricky fitting issues and case mods that will cause unnecessary headaches for most people. 

There is the possibly that MacRorie will be willing to sell just the Front Level 2 I/O board and the 1088XLD Cartridge Guide Extension Set.  BUT.....  due to the need to use a special connector on the rear J3 Midi Interface header you will not be able to easily add the Rear Level 1 I/O board later.  On a standard main board the J3 male header needs to have a couple pins jumpered for proper Midi/S3 operation.  Desoldering the old connector on a four layer main board is not fun, and the potential of ruining the board is high. 

DSC_3392.thumb.jpg.5f739172c3cdc1f7dd38a78fd91284f6.jpgDSC_3394.thumb.jpg.d85cbd777e9212cad0c0aa17952a07c5.jpg

DSC_3397.thumb.jpg.ebe51ead3e8e6d92d755e4be76c60a0d.jpgDSC_3399.thumb.jpg.44cb82311ebd2a485d38bc86a30baf93.jpg

DSC_3400.thumb.jpg.82ec30e370670fd0844a19984dbf9e5c.jpg

• Like 6

XLD production is still in its early stages and J3 was essentially a left over aspect from a very early prototype stage that became redundant when the 2nd stacking board was introduced in the beta boards. Of course it once again became useful and had a pin position added to support Dropcheck's project as it stands now. Basically J3 now needs to be a different sex to fully support what she is doing, going from male to female. Since there are no other known uses for this header, why not just go with the female header from this point forward on all new builds?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I'm interested in the IO board for uses outside of the XLD. @Dropcheck do you have plans to release that for XEL or as an external product?

Probably as a partially assembled board.  ie BYOC the 8049, 27C64 and ESP-07.  The 8049 especially.  Those chips are getting harder to find.  ?

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2019 at 9:52 AM, mytek said:

XLD production is still in its early stages and J3 was essentially a left over aspect from a very early prototype stage that became redundant when the 2nd stacking board was introduced in the beta boards. Of course it once again became useful and had a pin position added to support Dropcheck's project as it stands now. Basically J3 now needs to be a different sex to fully support what she is doing, going from male to female. Since there are no other known uses for this header, why not just go with the female header from this point forward on all new builds?

Excellent suggestion. ?  I'll make the necessary change to the BOM and I'm sure MacRorie will communicate that info to those who have already purchased the bare boards from him. 

1   Midi Aux Socket    0.1" 1x7 Female Header    Digikey    S7040-ND     J3    Mainboard

9 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

Excellent suggestion. ?  I'll make the necessary change to the BOM and I'm sure MacRorie will communicate that info to those who have already purchased the bare boards from him. 

1   Midi Aux Socket    0.1" 1x7 Female Header    Digikey    S7040-ND     J3    Mainboard

For people that don't want either the original Level2 board or your rear board, and still wish to have the S2 synth module, they would need to jumper two positions on J3 (marked on the silkscreen). Since this header would now be a female and wouldn't lend itself to use of the shorting jumper blocks, I would suggest plugging in a male header that has these positions jumpered by solder bridging the appropriate pins.

Might be good to leave the male header specified on the BOM along with the female for this purpose, and adding a note that the male is only needed in certain situations.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 10:02 AM, mytek said:

For people that don't want either the original Level2 board or your rear board, and still wish to have the S2 synth module, they would need to jumper two positions on J3 (marked on the silkscreen). Since this header would now be a female and wouldn't lend itself to use of the shorting jumper blocks, I would suggest plugging in a male header that has these positions jumpered by solder bridging the appropriate pins.

Might be good to leave the male header specified on the BOM along with the female for this purpose, and adding a note that the male is only needed in certain situations.

Can y'all give me the original name for this part so I can find it on the BOM?

IS this what we are discussing?

1          Various Headers         0.1" SIL Single Row Breakaway Male Header Digi-Key           S1011EC-40-ND          (Note 5) J3,J6, J7, J8,J14,J16

Note 5 has this to say:

Note *5 Substitute Digikey # S7005-ND for J3 on mainboard for use with Dropcheck Rear Level 1 I/O board only

So are we changing the part number?