IGNORED

1088XLD - Custom A8 Computer in 1050 Drive Case

mytek

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The wonders of Open Source.

https://github.com/ivop/vs1053-waveblaster

I never managed to test it, because I suck at drag soldering. Now this guy comes along, fixes an error, adds MIDI SPI in and reduces the board size!

Just merged his work. A lot of photos are on github. So, now there's a second option to build your own WaveBlaster :)

Edited by ivop
spelling, as usual
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, AtariGeezer said:

Just need to add a few screws, then all done :)

Congrats ?

14 hours ago, AtariGeezer said:

Love the midi tune when booted...

You'll either love it or hate it.

For those that don't like it, I really should provide a no-tune version in the firmware download. There was someone that did just that, as well as tried a few other tunes, but I can't for the life of me remember who that was. The PIC assembly source code is provided if you ever want to try your hand at creating a different intro. It would take some digging in the MIDI topics, but I did have a discussion about how that could be done, as well as a link to a program that would condense a standard .mid file into the format required by the built-in mini player.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

1 hour ago, AtariGeezer said:

How do you install a VBXE in one of these???

Like this, :)

IMG_4828_Original.thumb.jpeg.e7ea426704fd4329c13a3ce20af7468f.jpeg

There are existing headers on the board for the RGB output plus the handful of signals needed for the VBXE nor provided by the ANTIC interface. If you read the documentation on Lotharek’s site plus the 1088XLD schematics, it’s not too hard to figure out.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Like this, :)

IMG_4828_Original.thumb.jpeg.e7ea426704fd4329c13a3ce20af7468f.jpeg

There are existing headers on the board for the RGB output plus the handful of signals needed for the VBXE nor provided by the ANTIC interface. If you read the documentation on Lotharek’s site plus the 1088XLD schematics, it’s not too hard to figure out.

Okay, does it use the XL or XE Adapter board underneath?

Another one is about to be born soon…

IMG_0439.thumb.jpeg.946bfcf96f3da51e20f7aa1bcb4c895f.jpeg

One question: in the BOM I downloaded from Myteks homepage, there were a few references (Note 4) to a document/pdf with „installation tips and tricks“

I was not able to find it anywhere - not on the website and not in this 39 pages thread (well, I briefly scanned through, not reading every post in detail)

is this document existing?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LarryL said:

One question: in the BOM I downloaded from Myteks homepage, there were a few references (Note 4) to a document/pdf with „installation tips and tricks“

I was not able to find it anywhere - not on the website and not in this 39 pages thread (well, I briefly scanned through, not reading every post in detail)

The answer is no to that question, at least as far as coming from me. I guess I was thinking about it and then moved on to other things instead. Documentation after the fact is never easy, and once a unit has been successfully built by a few individuals the need for such quickly dwindles. I always figured that the DIY people that had gotten through a build would be able to help those first starting out. And I've seen this be the case on a few of these projects.

My very best advice would be to leave all the chips and the U1MB, UAV, and the S2 modules out until after you've verified the +5V on the power bus. Also hold off on plugging in the Level 1 and Level 2 I/O boards as well. Unfortunately someone accidentally reversed the 5V and 12V regulators with all that stuff all plugged in and fried a bunch of it in the process of powering up the system for the first time. There is a convenient spot to check those voltages on a 4-pin header (J12) on the lower left hand corner of the main board.

image.png.dfc3e889391d2451598d897e9953363f.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mytek said:

Unfortunately someone accidentally reversed the 5V and 12V regulators with all that stuff all plugged in and fried a bunch of it in the process of powering up the system for the first time.

The poor fool. I wonder which imbecile did that. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LarryL said:

This is one I downloaded a few years ago.  DELETE if needed..

TipsandTricksfor1088XLDAssembly.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AtariGeezer said:

This is one I downloaded a few years ago.  DELETE if needed..

TipsandTricksfor1088XLDAssembly.pdf 2.76 MB · 5 downloads

I’m pretty sure that was put together by @Dropcheck based on our experiences building the beta test boards. I’m *certain* that’s my beer pic. ;)

• Like 3