IGNORED

Coleco ADAM Commercial

Ranger03

If you turn on the ADAM with a data pack in the drive already, the system will load block #0 of the data pack to see if there is a program to be loaded. If no program is found, the system will default to Electronic Typewriter mode. The same holds true with a disk in the disk drive.

before or after it fries your shit?

It won't fry your shit! I am not discounting the issues with early ADAM systems, but I would not doubt for one second that up to 50% of the returns was from:

1) user error

2) ignorance

3) just plain old change of mind, so let's take it back

4) etc.

5) etc.

6) etc.

Heck, I still remember my old man pounding on the keyboard the first time I turned on the system because he couldn't figure out SmartWriter. Guess what, he didn't bother to read any of the instructions and never tried to use the system again... which was a blessing for me!

I got my first ADAM (Exp. Mod. #3) for X-Mas '83 and have owned numerous systems over the years, yet have NEVER had one go bad on my. That is not to say that we didn't come across numerous systems that had issues when I was running a large Users Group/Mail Order, but this was spread out over numerous years and the largest majority of systems that we acquired secondhand were still functioning properly upwards of a decade after being manufactured. I can't even count how many systems that I acquired since 2010 that were still working 100% properly. The biggest issue I see 35 years after release is with the Data Drives and usually it's from a missing Timing Wheel that has disintegrated. Other than that, a very thorough cleaning will usually take care of most other issues.

It won't fry your shit! I am not discounting the issues with early ADAM systems, but I would not doubt for one second that up to 50% of the returns was from:

1) user error

2) ignorance

3) just plain old change of mind, so let's take it back

4) etc.

5) etc.

6) etc.

Heck, I still remember my old man pounding on the keyboard the first time I turned on the system because he couldn't figure out SmartWriter. Guess what, he didn't bother to read any of the instructions and never tried to use the system again... which was a blessing for me!

I got my first ADAM (Exp. Mod. #3) for X-Mas '83 and have owned numerous systems over the years, yet have NEVER had one go bad on my. That is not to say that we didn't come across numerous systems that had issues when I was running a large Users Group/Mail Order, but this was spread out over numerous years and the largest majority of systems that we acquired secondhand were still functioning properly upwards of a decade after being manufactured. I can't even count how many systems that I acquired since 2010 that were still working 100% properly. The biggest issue I see 35 years after release is with the Data Drives and usually it's from a missing Timing Wheel that has disintegrated. Other than that, a very thorough cleaning will usually take care of most other issues. I have collected multiple ADAM's over the years since I got involved, always thinking my ADAM would self destruct, but it never did - at least while I was busy banging away at the keys. If I could get cars that had as few troubles as the ADAM, I would be a lot of money ahead today. Coleco really did produce a good product when all said and done.

I totally agree with all NIAD just said. After silently watching an ADAMite from the inception of the ADAM leave his data pack in the drive in order to boot his hard drive, I started doing the same and have never lost or fried a data pack. Have had a few ADAM video boards go south, but that can be corrected with the F18 upgrade. All in all, the ADAM is almost indistructable. One user even cleaned her keyboards by soaking them in the bathtub for a while and then letting them drip dry until completely dry and they WORKED after that! The one big Achilles heel as NIAD mentioned is the "tire" on the timing wheel, and that can be repaired most times.

Edited by adamcon

All the the reports from shortly after the ADAM was released were that the Printer was the culprit. I again state that I NEVER saw this issue with any and all Printers that I owned, used or tested. So I fall back on what I think was the main reason for so many returns early on.... USER ERROR.

My conspiracy theory involves a coalition of Apple, Atari, Commodore and maybe even IBM starting a propaganda/smear campaign against Coleco and the ADAM.

• Like 1

All the the reports from shortly after the ADAM was released were that the Printer was the culprit. I again state that I NEVER saw this issue with any and all Printers that I owned, used or tested. So I fall back on what I think was the main reason for so many returns early on.... USER ERROR.

I personally saw it happen at that time. It was not user error. Unless it's a case of "you're turning it on wrong". But that's a design flaw if so. No other computer I can think of - not successful ones, anyway - would erase your media if you didn't turn it on in the correct sequence.