Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DistantStar001

ADTPro Serial Port Issue

Recommended Posts

I'm trying to get ADTPro to connect to my //e via super serial card from my mac, but I haven't had any luck. I've tried using multiple computers, but my principle is a MacBook Pro, running Mac OS X v. 10.13. When I start ADTPro, and click the serial button, I get the error in the first image. When I go to configure the serial connection I get the options displayed in the second image (which is to say none). I've tried installing this on an older MacBook running 10.6, and I do get 4 options, but all of them have the word "bluetooth" in the identification, and none of them seem to do anything.

 

I've looked this up multiple times, and even followed the Install, and Read Me instructions in the rxtx file (dragging RXTXcomm.jar, and librxtxSerial.jnilib to /Library/Java/Extensions), and got nothing. In fact, when I did this on 10.6, I got the same errors as on 10.13.

 

What am I doing wrong?

post-63947-0-47431600-1532030839_thumb.png

post-63947-0-84121400-1532030854.png

Edited by DistantStar001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time I messed with it I had to use an older version of java

 

Now keep in mind that was like 3 years ago

 

Side note rxtx has caused me so much pain in my arse over the years I hate it

Edited by Osgeld

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

heck if I remember, I would have to sit down and fiddle with it again and even then I only have winders and linux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't use the app launcher - use the adtpro.command file instead. (And don't move the RXTX files around, either - you will want to undo whatever you did there.)

 

I'm making an assumption that 1) you have a USB-serial adapter plugged in to your Mac, and 2) it's got the correct driver installed so it's visible to the system.

Edited by david__schmidt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your assumptions are correct, and I've removed the files, so everything's back where it was. However, while I can see the USB-serial adaptor in my system profiler, it's still not visible to ADTPro. My options appear to be /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incomming-Port, and /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incomming-Port.

 

Launching from ADTPro.command did help, I think, as I no longer get the first error message when I click the serial button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edgeport/1:

 

Product ID: 0x0240

Vendor ID: 0x1608 (Inside Out Networks)

Version: 0.01

Serial Number: I43801745-0

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Inside Out Networks

Location ID: 0x14100000 / 25

Current Available (mA): 500

Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have another, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

 

USB-Serial Controller:

Product ID: 0x2008

Vendor ID: 0x0557 (ATEN International Co. Ltd.)

Version: 3.00

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.

Location ID: 0x14200000 / 26

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 100

Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Edited by DistantStar001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see the Mac listed as a supported platform (i.e. for drivers) on Digi's documentation for the Edgeport set of products. Are you sure you've got drivers installed for either device you have plugged in? It's a separate step you have to explicitly do in the Mac world.

Edited by david__schmidt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, but I think I managed to find the driver for the generic one. I now get two more options: /dev/tty.UC-232AC, and /dev/cu.UC-232AC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either of those could work; there's no reason to pick one over the other. Prolific has historically been poorly cloned and drivers are notoriously bad on a Mac, but that might work for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither did, and I think that the driver is causing a conflict in High Sierra. ADTPro locks up when I try to switch between them, and won't quit when I tell it to. Even a force quit doesn't help. I've had to restart my mac three times, and I had to force a shutdown to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Find and remove the .kext file it laid down... I'm not an expert on where that is exactly, but that's the extent of it. It's likely got some relationship with the name in the profiler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...