IGNORED

I'm really "getting into" the 5200...

Omega-TI

Now that I have my joystick fixed and have my Atarimax, I've noticed something... the games 'seem harder to play' than what I remember in my youth! But oh man, all those games at my fingertips! It'll take me a while to go through all of them to choose my favorites.

Anyway the first thing I did was copy the relevant items to a cheap 99 cent SD card I got from China and then I put the original away for safe keeping. I also make a backup on my hard drive.

gallery_35324_1027_40821.jpg

Oh yeah, I edited the text file to customize my menu screen... icon_wink.gif

gallery_35324_1027_88275.jpg

Sadly my gaming skills suck, so I took the advice of another Atariage member and put a rubber band on the joystick to make it 'sort of' self centering. It actually works to improve my scores a little! Sure, it's not pretty but it works... for now.

gallery_35324_1027_167897.jpg

I'm eventually going to need an adapter that allows me to use the keypad but also use my Wico Ball for some some games that only use the X/Y axis. The diagonal movement is killing my scores in some games.

Anyway I'm quite pleased with it's operation, but would really like a RESET BUTTON so I do not have to turn the console on and off every time I want to load a new game.

gallery_35324_1027_80221.jpg

So now I have a couple of questions...

1) Is there a reset mod for the 5200?

2) What recommendations do you have for an adapter that will allow me to use my 2600 compatible Wico joystick along with the

5200 for the button selections?

3) Are there any other mods you would recommend?

Surprises! The Freecell and Chess games were nice to find. Now maybe I missed it among the many games (so far), but no Tetris?

• Like 1

1) Is there a reset mod for the 5200?

I haven't confirmed this, but I would think interrupting the interlock on the cartridge connector (pins 18 and 36) would do it. This would have the same effect as removing and inserting a new cartridge.

After making my own 16-in-1 cartridge over the weekend, I'm kicking myself for not putting a momentary toggle in my cartridge to do this. I figured I'd just power-cycle, but power-cycling doesn't doesn't seem all that reliable.

The one dissapointing thing I've found so far.. the image I have of Pole Position for the Atarimax pulls to the left and will not go to the right. My real Pole Position cartridge works just fine.

There’s a rom hack in a thread called “pole position won’t steer” that will fix that issue on the Ultimate SD. I’d link to it but I can’t figure out how to do that in Tapatalk [emoji30]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

its going to take something like a masterplay to make a 2600 controller work on that guy. I purchased a couple of extra nice reproductions from user name

atariguy1021

a couple of years ago. Others are making them too.

+1 on atariguy1021 and his Masterplay Clone. :thumbsup: I have a couple too. :-D

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255618-the-atari-5200-podcast-new-podcast/?p=4061899

• Like 1

Just to add, that I found the original SD card that comes with the Ultimate SD was slow on mine and causing the Bad Apple demo to run choppy. Putting in a faster rated SD card took care of that issue so it might not be important, but I was surprised that the speed of the SD card does matter in the Ultimate SD like this.

• Like 2

Just to add, that I found the original SD card that comes with the Ultimate SD was slow on mine and causing the Bad Apple demo to run choppy. Putting in a faster rated SD card took care of that issue so it might not be important, but I was surprised that the speed of the SD card does matter in the Ultimate SD like this.

Good tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That rubber band mod is in the best tradition of NASA's "gotta-fix-it-now" ingenuity.

Actually I'm kind of surprised that after all these DECADES no one has made a black rubber strap to go around the upper part of the joystick with a hole for the joystick. I would look much better and stay truly centered. Go figure!

• Like 1

A reset mod'd be quite difficult as the system stores the rom in memory. You can actually remove a game cart while playing and it will still run until turned off. I'm glad to see some appreciation of my rubber band method, lol. A southern original for sure. ;)

thetrisfinal5200.bin

Edited by zylon
  • Like 3

A reset mod'd be quite difficult as the system stores the rom in memory. You can actually remove a game cart while playing and it will still run until turned off. I'm glad to see some appreciation of my rubber band method, lol. A southern original for sure. ;)

Are we talking reset without power interruption?

DUDE! That Tetris game is so freaking good! Thanks so much!

Dudess will suffice, lol

We ran that one once in the regular HSC under my tenure. Perhaps it will surface again there.

Oops! Apologies!

Just wanted to let you know, it's currently my favorite and most played game on the 5200 and will be the first in my collection to enter the "AWESOME" folder on the Atarimax.

Are we talking reset without power interruption?

I believe so. I tested that accidentally once with a system that had a sluggish power/rf box. When turned off, you had to wait until the power discharged enough for the switchbox to reopen the power circuit fully for the last rom played to clear.