IGNORED

Masterplay Clone and AtariGuy1021

Omega-TI

Of the older Atari stuff, the 5200 is the easiest to spend big bucks on in my opinion, though I completely enjoy mine. Getting started is the biggest expense. Controllers, adapters, mods, then there s the games. lol

Unless you are a collector, do game prices really matter if you have an Atarimax?

Unless you are a collector, do game prices really matter if you have an Atarimax?

Excellent point, but I like to have a few games on cart. It just adds to the nostalgia factor when folk come over. Also, I believe I am getting to the point of being able to help support homebrewers through the purchase of carts.

Not everyone has an AtariMax or is even aware of that it exists. Steve doesn’t go out of his way to promote his products on social media and, for instance, there’s no pinned sub forum here at the top of the page for the product, unlike the 2600 Harmony Cart, which is sold through a site hosted by AtariAge.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh Nooooooooooooooo! left handed joysticks! :_(

They look nice, but this old dog cannot use a left handed stick to save his life. Buttons for the left hand, joystick for the right hand.

Then you've must have played most of your games after the NES is popular. 2600 joysticks were right handed, Odyssey 2 joysticks were right handed, Tthe Astrocade, Arcadia 2001, and Atari 5200 \were truly ambidextrousd, and the Intellivision, Colecovision, and Atari 7800 were all "practically ambidextrous", meaning that the joystick could be held in either hand, but has a distinct left and right button, where if they aren't mirroed, and you don't have the option to filp buttons, were usually skewed towards right or left handers, depending on how you feel about whether the thumb or index button is a better presser of buttons. (in the position you hold INTV, Colecxo, and 7800 contrllers, I could make a case for either. I've had thumbs tire fro rapid firing, and I've had index fingers tire from rapid firing.

The only pre-crash system that was left handed was Vectrex.

The problem with the Sega Master System joystick was that games were originaly thought of as left handed, and when transferred to a right handed controls, they mapped "left-to-left", so game like Tutankham would play right. About 90% of the Master System games had a rapid fire index, or a pressed-more-often index button. which, when mapped left-to-left, your middle finger does the rapid firing which is more tiring. The Beshu Master System Joystick mapped it Index-to-index, so most Master system games would work right, but if there were a game like Tutankham, the buttons would be backwards, like on the Turbo Grafx Beeshu stick and Side Arms or Pac-Land. Luckily I have One Sega SMS joystick, and one Beeshu SMS joystick, as well as one Beeshu TG16 Stick and One NEC Turbo Stick.

I never heard the modern style be called right handed until the NES days. Get it straight. It's Atari Age, not Nintendo Age. ;)

There's no real ultrimate test of whether somethign is left or tright handed. Donkey Kong in the arcades was left handed for the sole reason that all the machines were converted Radarscope machines. And Radarscope was a shooter, so if it were a game where firing faster is more important than dodging, then it would make sense to call the button-right "right handed" but in Donkey Kong, it felt "left-handed", becuase your joystick hand was donig more gymnastics, compare to a jump button that didn't have to be rapid pressed like a shooter.

Arcade owners liked it because, based on my observations in Ohio, most of the 50k+ scores I've personally witnessed were by people who cross their wrists. It made athe arcade owner happy for shorter games, and shorter games means more oppotunity to make money. And Donkey Kong was eating quarters like Pac-Man eats dots. Now that the NES style is more engrained, there is less of that, but at the time, did anyone else notice that, or is it just an Ohio thing?

i remember an arcade in either Maple Heights or Cuyahoga Falls advertised Ambidextrous games, if a machine naturally wasn't ambidextrous, and if it made sense to, they dual fire modded their machines, or put ROMs in dual fire cabinets with mirrored buttons. Is this strictly one arcade owner in suburban Cleveland/Akron, or were there others like that?

I've even seen a "leftie vs rightie" Street Fighter II, "crazy" edition, an unauthorized hack which overpowered everyone, and let you morph by pressing start. playing rightie felt more natural. I won 2 or 3 matches by using standard strategies, with the augmented powers, but the CPU started using powers by person 4, and first round I lost because I didn't know one character's nw powers I was facing. I overcame in round 2, and about halfway through round 3, the computer pulled a Shang Tsung, and change to a new character with new Augmented moves I've never seen. having NO idea what to expect, I lost.

Then you've must have played most of your games after the NES is popular. 2600 joysticks were right handed, Odyssey 2 joysticks were right handed, Tthe Astrocade, Arcadia 2001, and Atari 5200 \were truly ambidextrousd, and the Intellivision, Colecovision, and Atari 7800 were all "practically ambidextrous", meaning that the joystick could be held in either hand, but has a distinct left and right button, where if they aren't mirroed, and you don't have the option to filp buttons, were usually skewed towards right or left handers, depending on how you feel about whether the thumb or index button is a better presser of buttons. (in the position you hold INTV, Colecxo, and 7800 contrllers, I could make a case for either. I've had thumbs tire fro rapid firing, and I've had index fingers tire from rapid firing.

The only pre-crash system that was left handed was Vectrex.

The problem with the Sega Master System joystick was that games were originaly thought of as left handed, and when transferred to a right handed controls, they mapped "left-to-left", so game like Tutankham would play right. About 90% of the Master System games had a rapid fire index, or a pressed-more-often index button. which, when mapped left-to-left, your middle finger does the rapid firing which is more tiring. The Beshu Master System Joystick mapped it Index-to-index, so most Master system games would work right, but if there were a game like Tutankham, the buttons would be backwards, like on the Turbo Grafx Beeshu stick and Side Arms or Pac-Land. Luckily I have One Sega SMS joystick, and one Beeshu SMS joystick, as well as one Beeshu TG16 Stick and One NEC Turbo Stick.

I never heard the modern style be called right handed until the NES days. Get it straight. It's Atari Age, not Nintendo Age. ;)

There's no real ultrimate test of whether somethign is left or tright handed. Donkey Kong in the arcades was left handed for the sole reason that all the machines were converted Radarscope machines. And Radarscope was a shooter, so if it were a game where firing faster is more important than dodging, then it would make sense to call the button-right "right handed" but in Donkey Kong, it felt "left-handed", becuase your joystick hand was donig more gymnastics, compare to a jump button that didn't have to be rapid pressed like a shooter.

Arcade owners liked it because, based on my observations in Ohio, most of the 50k+ scores I've personally witnessed were by people who cross their wrists. It made athe arcade owner happy for shorter games, and shorter games means more oppotunity to make money. And Donkey Kong was eating quarters like Pac-Man eats dots. Now that the NES style is more engrained, there is less of that, but at the time, did anyone else notice that, or is it just an Ohio thing?

i remember an arcade in either Maple Heights or Cuyahoga Falls advertised Ambidextrous games, if a machine naturally wasn't ambidextrous, and if it made sense to, they dual fire modded their machines, or put ROMs in dual fire cabinets with mirrored buttons. Is this strictly one arcade owner in suburban Cleveland/Akron, or were there others like that?

I've even seen a "leftie vs rightie" Street Fighter II, "crazy" edition, an unauthorized hack which overpowered everyone, and let you morph by pressing start. playing rightie felt more natural. I won 2 or 3 matches by using standard strategies, with the augmented powers, but the CPU started using powers by person 4, and first round I lost because I didn't know one character's nw powers I was facing. I overcame in round 2, and about halfway through round 3, the computer pulled a Shang Tsung, and change to a new character with new Augmented moves I've never seen. having NO idea what to expect, I lost.

You do realize that Omega is correctly referring to this as a left-handed stick....

post-21941-0-33860600-1496588939.jpg

I may have gotten confused, I thought the response was in regards to the Sega Master System stick, and the Atari-handled SMS stick. I was referring to the SMS stick being called left handed. But am I right about nowadays, an Atari 2600 joystick would be considered Left handed by any system or game maker of today, especially Capcom, and other fighting game manufacturers, UNLESS they SPECIFICALLY have pre-crash history..

Let's analyze why I thought Omega was referring to a SMS stick as a left handed stick.

Here's the quote again.

Oh Nooooooooooooooo! left handed joysticks! :_(

They look nice, but this old dog cannot use a left handed stick to save his life. Buttons for the left hand, joystick for the right hand.

The last sentence is unclear: "Buttons for the left hand, joystick for the right hand" Is that Omega's description of what a left-handed stick is? Or is that a description of his preferred stick? Is the term "left handed sticks" described like the video game industry would describe it today, i.e. Atari 2600 default being left handed, or like it was pre-crash?

I said even pre-crash right handed is a matter on which control the game designer wants to put the "good" hand on. Rapid fire games tend to put the fire buttons on the right. Joystick Gymnastic games tend to put the joystick on the right. If I can pull of E Honda's SF IV Orichi Throw or the Sumo Smash with the left hand, my hundred hand slaps would be better if it were left-stick. I'm having trouble rapid firing with left buttons on my middle finger. for the medium Super Slap. (I was sorely tempted to make an WWII-era racist comment here. But I don't know Atariage's policy on WWII-era Japanese slurs. When my dad first saw the game, that's what HE called it.)