IGNORED

It's more Cassette Vision nonsense.

Dillweed

I found the Epoch Cassette Vision on a whim while browsing some odd Japanese website, I immediately took interest, as I have a soft spot for second generation videogame consoles. Much like stupus' thread, this is just more Cassette Vision stuff. There are some neat things that stand out, however. You may find this very interesting.

For those who don't know, the Cassette Vision, developed by Epoch, was the first exclusive Japanese video game console released in Japan. The console debuted in 1981 and ended in 1984. In that time, only eleven games were fully released to the public. There was no third-party support, and Epoch only had one NEC TK-80 computer to design their games. Two known others hadn't seen release.

Of the eleven released games, I own ten. Much like stupus said, Elevator Panic is a very difficult game to find, and yet when I find it, someone usually pays an exorbitant price for it.

post-64890-0-74437900-1532134868_thumb.jpg

If you know about the Cassette Vision's more famous unreleased title, Grand Champion, you may immediately point that out, however I'll explain:

Grand Champion is a racing game which much more resembles that of Monaco GP, despite using the Taito trademark. The reason for it's demise was because of a fatal bug upon crossing the finish line. From what I have heard, the game wouldn't advance past that, and would get stuck. I believe they actually fixed this, but by the time they did, the Cassette Vision was at it's end, as the Super Cassette Vision was already released. I've heard rumors stating Masayuki Horie, a developer at Epoch during this time, had destroyed all copies of this game. Yet, I believe this to be false. I've seen multiple instances where Epoch's stock was recycled for other games, PCBs in particular. Yet, I am not sure what exactly happened. Who knows? Someone should do some snooping around Epoch Headquarters, if you ask me. ;)

This copy of Grand Champion is a fabrication I have created. It's not real. I designed the insert for it based on what was shown in the magazines and flyers. I'll share what I have done of it with you.

post-64890-0-34859200-1532135129_thumb.png

The reason I designed this was because I thought it would be a neat little project, and that I would like to think I could have a complete collection. A gap between "9" and "11" would annoy me, so to speak.

I would like to add that you can see a very small amount of Grand Champion's main screenshot on the Cassette Vision Jr.'s box, if you search for it.

post-64890-0-29010700-1532137814_thumb.jpg

Moreover, this other unreleased game I previously mentioned is more unheard of, and I would like brief over it. It was a breakout clone that was only conceived of. This was around the original Cassette Vision's launch in 1981. If you notice the "AUX." button on the console, this unnamed breakout clone was supposed to utilize that button. (People also state it's use is for the CV light gun, but I've never noticed anything.) Gameplay of this game, in my opinion, would look very similar to that of Breakaway on the Soundicvision/Hanimex HMG-7900.

The Epoch Cassette Vision also utilized a light gun, specifically, a light gun modeled after a C96 Mauser. This light gun was only used for the fourth game, Big Sports 12. The CV Jr. doesn't even support the gun or the knobs necessary to play. (Note: This also renders both Baseball games only partially playable.)

post-64890-0-30961500-1532135988_thumb.jpg

Another thing I found while searching these games out was a "test board" of sorts. I have been able to find absolutely no info on this what so ever. It's a standard CV Galaxian PCB, but rather than have the chip soldered in, it's resting inside a slot to place and test the chip. (I find it hard to find the correct terminology at times..) :P

post-64890-0-85470800-1532136478_thumb.jpg

If you have any information on that please let me know.

That's about all I have to show you, for now. :)

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. ;-)

Edited by Dillweed
  • Like 3

Love the what if #10 you created. That missing number always has bugged me!

Interesting on the alt galaxian

So your saying it has a socketed Rom while all the other games roms are soldered in?

Yes, that's correct, all other ROMs are soldered in, this one is an exception.

Do you have an extra one of the light guns you might wanna sell me? They look pretty sweet. I want one cause it looks like Han's blaster. :)

Ha, unfortunately not. :) They're that not hard to find, however. I've had more trouble looking for New Baseball. I found mine for about 25 bucks. Just gotta do some digging outside the normal auction sites.

Edited by Dillweed

• 4 weeks later...

Welp, there it is. It's Panic.

post-64890-0-56995500-1534143101.jpg

What a thought it would be to get Grand Champion, too.

If I somehow did, I would dump the ROM, so that more copies could essentially be created... There is someone out there, somewhere with one known copy, yet the ROM is still undumped. (Horie may own a second.)

Edited by Dillweed
  • Like 1