IGNORED

The want for 1080p HD (and higher).

Keatah

No they output on their multi pin av ports along with composite and audio

Think the ps2 does it as well it shares the same av port as ps1

That's what I was getting at, these old consoles that "need" CRT were not designed to be output in RGB. Most of them don't even have an a/v port on them to begin with. So there is no way playing RGB on these systems is an "authentic" experience.

I've never felt any sort of affection for CRTs. That puts me in the minority on AA, but it's true. They were a Tech I used when I had no better alternative, and I dropped them as soon as possible.

What we're seeing now is the fulfillment of what I've wanted since the 90s. HDMI is simply the best way to get it. Admittedly, not all hdmi is created equal.

That's what I was getting at, these old consoles that "need" CRT were not designed to be output in RGB. Most of them don't even have an a/v port on them to begin with. So there is no way playing RGB on these systems is an "authentic" experience.

what? all the systems listed came from day with with RGB on the AV port, how are they then not designed for RGB?

Nes, genesis, master system, turbo grafx, atari and such none of them have a/v ports.

Even when you get into other stuff like snes and n64 as far as I know some modifications to the systems have to be made in order to RGB them.

I guess I'm not understanding what you are saying here.

How many system can you simply buy an RGB cable for and plug it in the back of the stock system and just go play?

Nes, genesis, master system, turbo grafx, atari and such none of them have a/v ports.

Even when you get into other stuff like snes and n64 as far as I know some modifications to the systems have to be made in order to RGB them.

I guess I'm not understanding what you are saying here.

How many system can you simply buy an RGB cable for and plug it in the back of the stock system and just go play?

Let's see, off the top of my: head Atari Jaguar Sega Saturn Sony PlayStation PlayStation 2 Sega Dreamcast Sega Genesis Sega Master System Super Nintendo Neo Geo Neo Geo CD. They all output RGB without any modifications. Just plug up a cable and you're off and running

• Like 1

Let's see, off the top of my: head Atari Jaguar Sega Saturn Sony PlayStation PlayStation 2 Sega Dreamcast Sega Genesis Sega Master System Super Nintendo Neo Geo Neo Geo CD. They all output RGB without any modifications. Just plug up a cable and you're off and running

Well I was unaware that someone made rgb cables for all these systems. However,

Are you guys going to tell me 20 years ago when you bought a genesis and such they had an RGB cable sitting on the shelf right next to these systems?

To follow up more, trying to tell me systems made 20-30 years ago that shipped with R/F and composite were designed to be ran on RGB sounds like BS to me. If technology was being designed to run on RGB how come so few TV's even had it back then? Why didn't consoles ship w/RGB cables?

Yes they all (previously listed) had those av ports I don't know how much plainer I can put it

And yes you could buy the cables back then though maybe not on the shelf in the usa cause we never had scart as a standard and that is exactly why they had rgb outpit native on the system

Dang dude

Edit infact not having an rgb output is less common (and I think the tg16 had it on its av booster breakout pack which was stock in every other country)

Edit edit and no on the snes n64 and I think gamecube you just plug a cable in the mods are for component or hdmi

Edited by Osgeld

every single one of those systems has a multi pin port on them which supports RGB. They just didnt come with an RGB cable stock. You have to buy one separate.

The problem is, the vast majority of CRT Tvs did not support RGB, at least not in the US.

Well I was unaware that someone made rgb cables for all these systems. However,

Are you guys going to tell me 20 years ago when you bought a genesis and such they had an RGB cable sitting on the shelf right next to these systems?

To follow up more, trying to tell me systems made 20-30 years ago that shipped with R/F and composite were designed to be ran on RGB sounds like BS to me. If technology was being designed to run on RGB how come so few TV's even had it back then? Why didn't consoles ship w/RGB cables?

RGB via SCART was fairly common in Europe. For unknown reasons, they didn't bother with it in the US.

Even back in the 90s I vaguely knew about this ultra high-end "SCART" that the lucky Europeans got that we didn't that looked better.

Yes they all (previously listed) had those av ports I don't know how much plainer I can put it

And yes you could buy the cables back then though maybe not on the shelf in the usa cause we never had scart as a standard and that is exactly why they had rgb outpit native on the system

Dang dude

Edit infact not having an rgb output is less common (and I think the tg16 had it on its av booster breakout pack which was stock in every other country)

Edit edit and no on the snes n64 and I think gamecube you just plug a cable in the mods are for component or hdmi

Just the SNES junior cant put out RGB stock. The original ones can

Ok there is major confusion here on my part. When I think RGB I see Red, Green, Blue jacks. When I look up RGB for these systems I do find any cables like that. Now if you guys are calling SCART the same thing as RGB then that is where half the confusion is coming from. The other half of the confusion is all these sites talking about modding consoles for RGB.

Now if you are talking SCART I have never even seen a TV that has that connection and I find extremely hard to believe they were all over the place in the 80's.

I just want someone to send me links to these cables that have RGB jacks on the end of them that will connect to my nes,genesis, and such to my RGB inputs on my TV.

Now if you are talking SCART I have never even seen a TV that has that connection and I find extremely hard to believe they were all over the place in the 80's.

SCART is just a standard/connector type. You can have SCART cables that only pass through composite, but you can also have SCART cables that pass through RGB. I believe the later (RGB via SCART) was the more common scenario in Europe.

What you mentioned previously with the separate red, green and blue cables is known as Component. Very close to the RGB you would get out of a SCART cable, but the later is generally more readily available for classic consoles. It wasn't until the PS2 era where component cables became commonplace for consoles, particularly in the USA.

ah my bad, didnt think the jr would have changed

but yes master system, genesis, saturn, snes (phat), n64, gamepube, ps1,2,3, atari jag, and neo geo all have it on board since day one just plug in a cable

N64 and Game Cube are misleading, as like the SNES Jr., they have the same port but won't output a RGB signal. S-Video at best out of the box (unless you have a Cube with a digital out port and an expensive set of Component cables).

Ok there is major confusion here on my part. When I think RGB I see Red, Green, Blue jacks. When I look up RGB for these systems I do find any cables like that. Now if you guys are calling SCART the same thing as RGB then that is where half the confusion is coming from. The other half of the confusion is all these sites talking about modding consoles for RGB.

I just want someone to send me links to these cables that have RGB jacks on the end of them that will connect to my nes,genesis, and such to my RGB inputs on my TV.

scart is a multi connector that contains many things including RGB

and your skeptisism is amusing at this point, I dont have a tim hortons in my part of the country THEREFORE THEY DONT EXIST

RGB existed for the rest of the planet, not just your limited area, there's a ton of systems that out of the box on day one support it, you could and can take advantage of it with a monitor / tv that supports it and a simple passive cable (which also provides things likestereo audio, svideo and composite output as well)

• Like 1

Here I thought all these systems needed modded to be RGB. So basically they make an RGB to RF cable or maybe a composite to RGB, I did not know this.

Maybe some people think that because there are mods you can do anyway (CSYNC, SNES jr, etc), even though these consoles are RGB-ready.

What you mentioned previously with the separate red, green and blue cables is known as Component.

So RGB is NOT component?

and your skeptisism is amusing at this point, I dont have a tim hortons in my part of the country THEREFORE THEY DONT EXIST

Just show me the cables.

RGB is not component

https://www.google.com/search?q=sega+rgb+cables&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS710US710&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjT9J31qL7cAhXtUt8KHbZzAYwQ_AUICigB&biw=1510&bih=939

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS710US710&biw=1510&bih=939&tbm=shop&ei=445aW--1EOuL_QbSiIDIBg&q=nintendo+rgb+cables&oq=nintendo+rgb+cables&gs_l=psy-ab.3...29809.33095.0.33215.19.15.0.4.4.0.111.1259.13j2.15.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.10.510...0.0.3R6FJJUtrfk

Genesis_video.jpg

1521618212225.jpg

ps2-pinout.png

this is what I use for RGB, I bought it in 1990 its from 1985 *not my picture, its a nec multisync jc-1401

i3.jpg

it has a DE9 connector, but its a computer monitor, though you will occasionally see tv's with DE 9 rgb input in the united states of behind the rest of the friggin world when it comes to consumer electronics

my stupid LCD tv will actually sync to 15khz "ntsc" RGB but it doesnt know how to process any resolution below 320x240 though it will accept 240p on component, which is like super S video

component is luma + sync on one line (green wire) and 2 channels of chroma (color) information thus doubling bandwidth for the higher speed color information, rs170 black n white, or luma only has enough bandwidth to produce 480p / 720i and pushing it 720p -1080i without issue, the color encoding is what screws things up or else you could be running the same over svideo cause color is running a 3x speed sub frequency to encode all of it

RGB is 3 distinct analog values with no encoding for bandwidth concerns .... comparing the two you really really have to look at picture quality under a microscope until you hit like 1080p

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

OK lol we are not going to agree on this argument.

That is a very specific genesis model 1 that has that A/V composite out port. That port was designed to run an A/V cable w/RWY connections (It says A/V next to it NOT RGB). Furthermore your links you posted basically go to scart cables which while TV's w/SCART existed they were not what systems were being designed to run on (at least in the US).

What about the genesis 1 w/out that port or a model 2 or model 3 that, they only have an RF?

The nes toaster has an RF out and a yellow and white AV jack.

The toploader only has an RF

Master system is the same as the genesis above.

I'm sorry man but I still disagree these systems were designed to run RGB when they were sold w/RF and A/V connections.

Plus since we are making a point here to differentiate RGB from Component, that picture above says RED GREEN BLUE which would be component? Or are we now going to say component is RGB just via a different cable w/a scart connector on the end? Or maybe Comp video is RGB? To hell if I know anything at this point.

what the fuck dude, they all came with that av port, it has RGB and svideo and composite and stereo audio they all had it (ffs I still own my genesis I bought in 1989 and have it HOOKED UP TO AN RGB MONITOR you twat)

seriously how dense are you

everyone else in the god damned planet had consumer grade RGB on their TV as a standard option, but you in didnt so it must have been designed from the ground up to not include RGB capibility

EVEN THOUGH IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY FROM DAY ONE

you sir, I have had respect for in the past even though most of the time you are wrong but, sorry you are just an ignorant asshat

go sit in front of your 83 zenith and marvel in the fact you cant read 240p text in 48 point font over RF, have fun jacking off on thinking this is the only way it ever could be ... cause its the only way you ever experienced

Edited by Osgeld