IGNORED

Atari 800XL going into "self test" when pressing "Option" while powering up

bullmuscle

Hi, I have a 800XL computer with a 1050 Floppy Drive connected correctly to it.

When I hold the "Option" button down to boot from the floppy drive the computer goes into "Self Test" mode.

I select all the tests and it runs it, passing all ROM and RAM as well as sound and keyboard tests.

It still goes into "Self Test" when pressing Option and not booting from the floppy drive which has DOS 3.

Anyone know why this is happening? Is it suppose to be like this? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Joe

post-38686-0-42265200-1532215936_thumb.jpg

0) Make sure computer and drive are off and power bricks disconnected from wall

1) Make sure drive select switches in the back side of the Drive are set to D1: positions

2) Make sure the SIO cord is good and connected from drive to Atari

3) Make sure to plug in the bricks to Atari and Drive before re plugging bricks to wall

4) Make sure the Drive is powered on

5) Make sure a bootable disk is in the drive and the door is closed

6) Turn on Atari while holding option- once you see blue or title/screen change release option

If the Atari has sound connected properly and the volume is at an Audible level you should here beeps from most disks while booting... Some disks have a quiet mode set... if that's the case the Atari will send a muted scratchy sound at a very low level to the TV/Monitor/Stereo etc.

if all else fails try a different disk, sometimes a failed load etc.. can do weird things... even evoke self test.

Following that procedure should prevent blowing Drive ID and other chips... or popping fuse in power brick/block/adapter

Bottom red light should be lit on drive, and when you switch on the Atari it's power led should light, followed by disk drives busy light nearest the floppy slot

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

Contact cleaner and work the slide switches in the back of the drive...

post-13325-0-37524100-1518834644.jpg

Tell us about the lights and sounds from the drive, make sure power cord to the drive itself is of proper amperage and voltage.

If the drive posts properly you may have blown chips as mentioned

• Like 1

When you turn on the computer, does the drive activity light go on and the disk spin? if you have audio, does it make a non-normal boot noise? [which reminds me again to make a video of proper boot up sounds and error sounds]

I'm assuming you have no idea if the drive works... and you really do have the drive set to #1.

• Like 1

here is a link to the pictures and video I took on how I have the drive setup and the sequence on how I booted the Atari 800.

http://pocketplace.com/images/atrti800xl.html

thanks

joe

Okay, your drive acts normal when powering on - that's good. The problem is therefore like the in either the SIO cable or the 800XL. If it's in the 800XL, the problem could be either the POKEY chip (handles serial I/O), the PIA chip (handles a number of things including access to the Self-Test), or a few other less-likely things like a bad SIO port on either the Atari or the drive.

• Like 1

You forget to plug fully into the 800XL with sio cord perhaps?

cord I think was in the list.

The SIO cord should not matter which way it plugs in... if it did matter then you may have a bad cord or bent pins cold solder joint etc.... I'd wiggle and make sure while loading something (not during a write)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/274849-disk-drive-problem-1050-with-800xl/?p=3946591

give a read through just for fun now

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I got it to work. The data cable from the 1050 drive to the computer was plugged in backwards.

http://pocketplace.com/images/atari800xlcable.png

Thank you for the help.

Joe

;-)

Well, there is no "backwards" to an SIO cable - either connector can go to either end of the chain (computer or drive). And the two SIO ports on the drive are functionally identical. It shouldn't have mattered.

I guess it doesn't matter though - glad it's working properly for you.

Now ditch that awful DOS 3 and at least upgrade to DOS 2.5, DOS XL or something. DOS 3 was AWFUL! :)

• Like 1

I connected the SIO cord backwards. Seems that each end of the SIO cord id diffrent and has to be connected to the correct port.

Once I connected the SIO the correct direction it worked.

Computer Output Port <<============>> Drive Input Port

Thank you so much!

Hugs

Joe

:-D

Now ditch that awful DOS 3 and at least upgrade to DOS 2.5, DOS XL or something. DOS 3 was AWFUL! :)

I was going to make a crack about the problem being the 1050 actively trying to reject DOS3 but I didn't want to derail the discussion. :P

I don't even own my original DOS3 disk any more; I copied over it with a bunch of games in 1985 or 1986 when a friend gave me a DOS 2.5 backup.

it might be worthwhile opening up the connectors of your SIO cable to see if anythings amiss - it should work either way around

The drive select switch on my 1050 can be a little finicky and sometimes doesn't register when I flip it so I have to do it back and forth again. The problem could be something like this as well.

I like the idea of something being loose in one of the SIO ports better though. That or a faulty SIO cable.

I was going to make a crack about the problem being the 1050 actively trying to reject DOS3 but I didn't want to derail the discussion. :P

I don't even own my original DOS3 disk any more; I copied over it with a bunch of games in 1985 or 1986 when a friend gave me a DOS 2.5 backup.

I don't have much of my original Atari stuff from the 80's, but I do have some of my original disks. DOS 3 came with my 1050 in mid/late 1984 when I finally could afford one, and after suffering with it for a couple weeks, I took the advice of friends and magazine articles, wrote Atari (Corp. by this time) had them send me DOS 2.5 and DOS 2.0 - note the different Atari Corp. label on DOS 2.5 as compared to the silver Atari, Inc. label for DOS 3. They all still work - I never did reformat that disk with a better DOS. :P

post-30400-0-63054500-1532265177_thumb.jpg

The drive select switch on my 1050 can be a little finicky and sometimes doesn't register when I flip it so I have to do it back and forth again. The problem could be something like this as well.

I like the idea of something being loose in one of the SIO ports better though. That or a faulty SIO cable.

I've got that going on with a couple of my vintage SIO cables now. If I bend them the wrong way, it pulls the connectors of the housings a tiny bit or otherwise breaks contact; there may be some conductor damage inside from being bent all these decades. I discovered this when I moved my stuff around for the first time in 4 years and now started getting either SIO errors on disk access - either ERROR -138 (not responding) or -140 (framing errors). Nudge the cables around a bit and the drive or drives work properly again. Very frustrating. Worse still, I have about half a dozen spare SIO cables around here SOMEWHERE but can't find them.

I see Lotharek has had new SIO plug housings made, it looks like, or otherwise rebuilt existing connectors with new cabling, and is selling plugs, cables and half-cables. I will probably buy half a dozen or so new cables in the next few months. The prices with the exchange rate aren't too bad but shipping time is killer. I wish someone domestically (US) would start making new cables.

I connected the SIO cord backwards. Seems that each end of the SIO cord id diffrent and has to be connected to the correct port.

Once I connected the SIO the correct direction it worked.

Computer Output Port <<============>> Drive Input Port

Thank you so much!

Hugs

Joe

:-D

Joe,

Glad it’s working now. A few comments: as others have mentioned, it shouldn’t matter where the SIO cable is plugged in nor which direction. So, you might want to investigate that someday. And please don’t turn the power to the floppy drive on with a disk inserted, you can easily and correctly insert and swap disks without ever turning the 1050’s power off.

Well, there is no "backwards" to an SIO cable - either connector can go to either end of the chain (computer or drive). And the two SIO ports on the drive are functionally identical. It shouldn't have mattered.

I guess it doesn't matter though - glad it's working properly for you.

There is something you might try using DOS 3 for:

post-149-0-54842000-1532268532_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Ok, google does not like me searching for "the goofy guru atari". I get hits about David Crane and Walt Disney's Goofy. Confound it Google! Don't you know I am searching for an obscure writer of Atari tips and tricks from the early 90s? o_O

So, where might I find more?

Ok, google does not like me searching for "the goofy guru atari". I get hits about David Crane and Walt Disney's Goofy. Confound it Google! Don't you know I am searching for an obscure writer of Atari tips and tricks from the early 90s? o_O

So, where might I find more?

This article is from Atari Interface Magazine (AIM), Volume 4, Fall 1992. I remembered this old article about DOS 3(the trick has worked for me on some disks that wouldn't format otherwise, but maybe only 10% of bad disks I've done this with have been saved) because I had my first-ever-published article in this magazine. You won't find it online anywhere, I started a thread a week or two ago about trying to get AIM issues scanned and archived online. I only have 11 issue myself out of several years worth, they were monthly at one time, then went by-monthly and finally quarterly before the magazines demise. Late 80's to early 90's.

This author also had article on such things as repairing the 1020 plotter, and making 4-headed SIO cables, repairing pads on 810 and 1050 disk drives, etc., his tricks and tips always worked in my experience, I just got done repairing my 1020 plotter two days ago, using his article on it.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

Hmmm not sure if serious. For some reason that just doesn’t seem right. Many reasons.

I am not sure that the reasons given in that article for why this "trick" works are accurate, but it doesn't matter, the fact is I have saved a dozen or so disks from the bin that would not format with other DOS's by doing this (and they did format via SpartaDOS or APE's Prosystem formatter after, and they are working today). There was also another 50 or so bad disks that this did not help save. So try it, don't, whatever.

I always interpreted it as just something the author stumbled across, it worked for him more than once, wasn't a fluke, and then when he decided to write about it, he attempted to find an explanation as to why it works after the fact, and that part may not be why it works...whatever.

Edited by Gunstar

I see Lotharek has had new SIO plug housings made, it looks like, or otherwise rebuilt existing connectors with new cabling, and is selling plugs, cables and half-cables. I will probably buy half a dozen or so new cables in the next few months. The prices with the exchange rate aren't too bad but shipping time is killer. I wish someone domestically (US) would start making new cables.

I ordered two of Lotharek's new 1m SIO cables when I put in for my U1MB board. I probably should have gone for two or three more now that I think about it because one is earmarked for the SIO Splitter device that I also ordered. Oh well, maybe next time.

I am not sure that the reasons given in that article for why this "trick" works are accurate, but it doesn't matter, the fact is I have saved a dozen or so disks from the bin that would not format with other DOS's by doing this (and they did format via SpartaDOS or APE's Prosystem formatter after, and they are working today). There was also another 50 or so bad disks that this did not help save. So try it, don't, whatever.

I always interpreted it as just something the author stumbled across, it worked for him more than once, wasn't a fluke, and then when he decided to write about it, he attempted to find an explanation as to why it works after the fact, and that part may not be why it works...whatever.

The only reason I'm suspicious is that the format is handled by the ROM in the 1050, not the DOS. its either Single or Enhanced density, how the sectors are grouped (bit map vs linking) is not really relevant. Although I'm welcome to be corrected. :)

• Like 2

There is something you might try using DOS 3 for:

This sounds like a joke... Formatting a disk just issuing a single SIO command, no matter which Dos is used. The actually formatting is performed by the CPU in the drive, and the floppy disk controller, and it cares little (as in "not at all") whether it was Dos 2 or Dos 3 that triggered the format.

• Like 2