IGNORED

Blockbuster - game released

2019.12.29 I've found a bug, that only shows up in the disk version here at my end. I forgot to clear a memory location used for scoring. Files updated.

blockc.bin
block.dsk

Filename: BLOCK

blockbuster.instructions.pdf

- - - - -

The idea will be to insert pairs of colored blocks into two piles, one on either side of the screen. Create a group of three or more adjacent blocks of the same color and they'll disappear, gaining you points. Pile up too many and you lose the game.
blockbuster01a.png.8c37e0e0c5df7c1e2664110aadc9e6f1.png

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 14

Thanks for feedback and likes. :)

So initially we have random blocks showing up. It's obviously two colors and then from a palette of four. As the animation shows below, you might get the same color for the two.

You can now move the blocks up and down, and you can swap the two colors. All keys / joystick have autorepeat ( if you hold keys / direction ). The arrows on screen just indicate where the blocks will be inserted.

blockbuster02b.gif

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 7

Well, by the looks of how it is progressing, it definitely qualifies as a match-three / swap and match type game, but a bit unconventional.

Aslo, Blockbuster sounds more like a ball and paddle style title then a matching game.

Looking forward to trying this!

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 1

Well, by the looks of how it is progressing, it definitely qualifies as a match-three / swap and match type game, but a bit unconventional.

Yes. ;)

It's based on a game I had for my Sony Ericsson K700i. Definitely think it had "block" in it's name.

Also, Blockbuster sounds more like a ball and paddle style title then a matching game.

Yes, maybe. Suggestions for other titles are welcome. :)

very nice!

Thanks. :)

i already imaging it with nice sound fx and maybe speech :P

Sound-effects will probably be the last thing I'll add. But so important for the overall feel.

could be it possible also create a sort of sliding animation of the blocks ?

Yea, I thought about that too. I'll keep animation and effects for later. Firstly I want to get it into a playable state.

i just asking thinking to a recent game on android phone :P

So what game is that ? :)

• Like 1

Sometimes99er, will you include also levels with missions and special combinations ?

Yes, there will be levels, and the game will be harder as you progress. Wouldn't wanna call it "missions" though.

Yes, more points awarded for "special combinations", like bonus points for clearing a pile (no remaining blocks in a pile) and more.

:)

• Like 1

Thanks for likes, feedback and PM's. :)

Left and right hand sides now operate individually. Priority is moving up, falling down and then removing adjacent blocks. And one operation has to finish before the next.
This demo has operations at 30 frames per update. An insert is done immediately unless it requires the pile to move up.
blockbuster07.gif
  • Like 8

Thanks for the likes. :)

Animation. This has been given a fair amount of thought. One could go for the blocks moving all the way and elegantly, but that would be on behalf of speed. - I think the overall elegance would only last about 20 seconds, then it would become somewhat diverting. I didn't want to slow down the action, and yet add something to be slightly supportive. Like just briefly letting you know the consequences of your action. And this is then what I chose to go for ...

blockbuster08.gif

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 7