IGNORED

Blockbuster - game released

Okay, asm994a is increasingly throwing this kind of error. Note that the first 2 errors are not listed.

>>	Assembly Started - 12/11/18, 02:08:56
	Pass 1: block.a99
	Pass 2: block.a99
	Error #3: Line #1490: Label must begin with a-z, $, _ or .: 15	Phase error - symbol undefined 2nd Pass: 15	Multiple definition of symbol: 15
	Error #4: Line #1501: Multiple definition of symbol: sprptn
	Error #5: Line #1505: Multiple definition of symbol: sprptne
	Assembly Complete - Errors: 5,  Warnings: 0
>>	Cartridge Binary Started - 12/11/18, 02:08:56
>>	Cartridge Binary Finished - 12/11/18, 02:08:56
>>	Processing Complete - 12/11/18, 02:08:56

Usually I could backstep some, then recompile and everything was fine. Then much later it would happen again. Well, today I was kinda stuck (after backstepping the error quickly reemerges). I'd rather debug Blockbuster, than try and get asm994a to behave. Removing many comments apparently helps, but that's not a way to go. I thought it could be some sort of a 32 KB limit, but Restless II is more than 40 KB (source). I could try and track the problem using the Listing File.

I decided to give xas99 a shot. Everything went smooth. There were only one small thing. Some sound lists uses the BYTE directive and following that I have some color information using DATA. Apparently asm994a forces a label before DATA to that same even address, while xas99 doesn't. Anyways, an EVEN solves it.

XAS99 CROSS-ASSEMBLER   VERSION 1.7.0

0752 660C 0204  20 	li	r4,clrblcs	; colors of blocks
     660E 7107 

1482 7102 9FBF     	byte	>04,>9F,>BF,>DF,>FF,>00
     7104 DFFF 
     7106 0000 
1484               ;	even
1485               clrblcs
1486 7108 1919     	data	>1919	; light red
1487 710A F9F9     	data	>f9f9
1488 710C 1919     	data	>1919
1489 710E 1919     	data	>1919
  • Like 2

I'm slowly switching to xas99 as well. Except for not liking python, I like pretty much everything else about it. Force of habit still throws me back to asm99 sometimes, but more and more I'm hitting limitations (particularly in scripting a complex build, and once python is set up I don't pay it much attention :) )

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Switched to xas99 about 2 years ago and didnt look back. I like asm994a a lot, but I like it more when I know there is source code available. If hell breaks loose I can still try to fix things myself. Somehow as I get older this gets more important to me.

Yea, I can see some potential in being able to fix or experiment. I was worried that Python would have the overheads of C#, but it seems to initiate faster and have a smaller footprint.

I'm slowly switching to xas99 as well. Except for not liking python, I like pretty much everything else about it. Force of habit still throws me back to asm99 sometimes, but more and more I'm hitting limitations (particularly in scripting a complex build, and once python is set up I don't pay it much attention :) )

I haven't looked into Python much. I heard a lot about how easy it is to understand, reads like English, and takes a lot of syntax stress off coding. I suspect it's just old habits, but stuff like elif and else: seems like wanting to go somewhere but not really being able. Appears to be more like VBA, than C, C#, Java, JavaScript etc.

Thank you! Turtles is salivating over this one. He took Restless II and Snake Plissken to school with him for electronics day this past Friday (along with an entire TI console system) and had a whole lot of fifth graders playing and enjoying your games.

Let's just say we played a LOT of Snake Plissken. . .

I love it. Thank you so much. :thumbsup:

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 1

I haven't looked into Python much. I heard a lot about how easy it is to understand, reads like English, and takes a lot of syntax stress off coding. I suspect it's just old habits, but stuff like elif and else: seems like wanting to go somewhere but not really being able. Appears to be more like VBA, than C, C#, Java, JavaScript etc.

Every language has fans who will tell you how great it is compared to everything else. For my part, I'm forced to use it at work, and it doesn't seem any better or worse than other languages except that whitespace is part of the syntax (it's how you block statements for conditionals, loops, etc), and that annoys the heck out of me. ;)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Progress report.

While playtesting I found that when yellow appeared, it was perhaps more often as a pair as opposed to the other colors.

There’s 4 different blocks, light red, blue, magenta and yellow . You get 2 blocks at a time. That should then give you 16 (= 4*4) different combinations. And the chance of getting any of those (disregarding that you can flip them) should be equal. About 6.25% (= 100/16) chance of getting any combination.

Well, it wasn't so. Only 8 combinations were produced and they weren't quite balanced (equal in distribution). I’ve changed the use of the random routine, and now every combination comes out and totally balanced.

Then I’ve noticed that I can get 5 yellow pairs in a row. That shouldn't be totally impossible, but I guess I have to check up on that. Count how many times you can get the same combination in a row, and perhaps also count the ones that are just flipped (like when you get “blue and yellow” followed by a “yellow and blue”).

Scoring will be tuned to make you focus on getting 4 adjacent blocks. That’s something to go for in the beginning of the game, while later it’s more just a matter of surviving.

Also some changes to the logic. Mostly down to sounds, delays and optimization.

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...