IGNORED

Classic arcade games that never made it to the Atari 2600

PitfallHarry77

I was interested in what everyones favourite classic arcade games were that never saw a port to the Atari 2600. My absolute favourite would be Zookeeper by Taito. This is game is so addictive and so much fun. Would it even be possible on the atari?? Maybe not back then but people continue to do amazing things on here. I would never have thought I would see Draconian on Atari or Super Cobra as it is in its new and updated homebrew form.

Edited by PitfallHarry77
  • Like 3

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/118/entry-13872-homebreviews-part-41-star-castle-showdown/

I refer to this as in...Never made it "Back in The Day"...so Star Castle Arcade! Of course if we are saying Better Late than Never, and Not including recent homebrews etc. since they technically made it (just later on), well I'd have to think on that and get back to you haha...

Off the top of my tired head, maybe Arkanoid...(Even though it was a later game)...

Edited by GoldLeader
  • Like 1

I had a go at Star Castle Arcade and it is a really good port. I had never heard of Bagman so I will have a look at that one. Did it make it to Australia? Robotron would be awesome but the controls would be difficult. Rally X is a good one but I think the guy who did Halo 2600 has done that. I am looking for a PAL version as he did a good job. Galaga would be good but I really like Galaxian which is close. Qix I would imagine would be really difficult with the movement. There are some interesting responses and some I will have to have a look at as I havent heard of all of them.

Bagman actually was ported, it's one of those famous 'complete but lost' prototypes. Steve Hostetler at Atari programmed it and claims he was 90% done, there's a blurb over on Atariprotos. Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be found.

• Like 1

I would like to see an updated attempt at Tutankham as it is great on the Colecovision. Arkanoid is an interesting one as it would be possible in theory as it is similar to Breakout. I dont have programming knowledge though so I dont know if the Atari could handle the movement and the number of sprites. Would be awesome if it was possible!!

I would like to see an updated attempt at Tutankham as it is great on the Colecovision. Arkanoid is an interesting one as it would be possible in theory as it is similar to Breakout. I dont have programming knowledge though so I dont know if the Atari could handle the movement and the number of sprites. Would be awesome if it was possible!!

I totally believe Arkanoid would be possible! It just wouldn't have the graphical resolution. For example, the falling power-ups would just have to be different colors to equal different powers. And the paddle controls would make it all worthwhile! Even though the NES had better graphics, and I do love Arkanoid on the NES, Playing it with an Atari Paddle would be the bomb!

• Like 1

I agree that Arkanoid would be great with an Atari paddle. LEM is a pretty good version of Lunar Lander. It is a pity we didnt have it back then. I had a look at Jump Bug and it looks an interesting game. Visually, it is a cross between Moon Patrol and Rampage. I am not sure how the Atari would go with the scrolling buildings. I wonder if something like Mappy is possible? Finally, has anyone heard if there has been any progress with a better version of Mario Bros? I think Dintar 812 was working on it a while back and it was looking amazing.