IGNORED

Opcode Update Request July 2018

Hello Opcode,

I was hoping you could update the status of Donkey Kong , Pac-man DX and Space Invaders DX as well as re-release of Gradius?

Thanks!

And I will answer that and more later today, since I have a meeting scheduled with some of the team in a few hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So as promised, here is the update:

First of all, I am committed to the CV. I love the system, I am really grateful for all the support I have got during the past 15 years. That said, there have been some recent stressful situations involving the trademark holder and third parties. Creating a new platform within someone else's platform put me in an delicate situation where I am investing a lot of money and effort but with little guarantees and susceptible to abusive trademark holders and 3rd parties that just feel entitled to things. That is why we have decided to move the risk to something we actually own and can fully control, namely the Opcode OMNI console.

Now, moving the risk to OMNI doesn't mean abandoning the CV at all, and I will give you the update you want:

1) SGM games: we have heard some concerns about SGM games releases. We have two line of games, the more affordable color line, and the premium line with the cool packaging and all. We have 8 new color line games and 3 rereleases shipping in the next 6 months. All 8 games are ready, but we will space them to create a steady release schedule and don't overflow things. We also have Pac-Man DX (done and ready) and the first 2 premium line rereleases (Gradius included) coming in the same 6 months window. BTW, all games we be available through AtariAge Store. And then we have Donkey Kong Arcade, which takes me to the next item...

2) Prometheus: we got a ton of requests to not kill Prometheus, especially during the past week. Again, I feel in debt with this community, so we heard and we tried to come up with a reasonable solution. So we will be releasing a "lite" version of Prometheus in the first half of 2019. It will be a fully backward compatible CV console, will include SGM functionally built-in (we are the only one offering that, as we own the SGM), beautiful new case design and packaging, at an affordable price. It will use old school hardware for maximum compatibility and authenticity, just like Prometheus and OMNI. And finally, it will include DKA as the pack-in game, like the original CV did some 35+ years ago, as a way to thank the community for all the support and trust. Timeline: beta starts around year's end, pre-orders to happen first half of 2019.

* temporary code name

• Like 10

So as promised, here is the update:

First of all, I am committed to the CV. I love the system, I am really grateful for all the support I have got during the past 15 years. That said, there have been some recent stressful situations involving the trademark holder and third parties. Creating a new platform within someone else's platform put me in an delicate situation where I am investing a lot of money and effort but with little guarantees and susceptible to abusive trademark holders and 3rd parties that just feel entitled to things. That is why we have decided to move the risk to something we actually own and can fully control, namely the Opcode OMNI console.

Now, moving the risk to OMNI doesn't mean abandoning the CV at all, and I will give you the update you want:

1) SGM games: we have heard some concerns about SGM games releases. We have two line of games, the more affordable color line, and the premium line with the cool packaging and all. We have 8 new color line games and 3 rereleases shipping in the next 6 months. All 8 games are ready, but we will space them to create a steady release schedule and don't overflow things. We also have Pac-Man DX (done and ready) and the first 2 premium line rereleases (Gradius included) coming in the same 6 months window. BTW, all games we be available through AtariAge Store. And then we have Donkey Kong Arcade, which takes me to the next item...

2) Prometheus: we got a ton of requests to not kill Prometheus, especially during the past week. Again, I feel in debt with this community, so we heard and we tried to come up with a reasonable solution. So we will be releasing a "lite" version of Prometheus in the first half of 2019. It will be a fully backward compatible CV console, will include SGM functionally built-in (we are the only one offering that, as we own the SGM), beautiful new case design and packaging, at an affordable price. It will use old school hardware for maximum compatibility and authenticity, just like Prometheus and OMNI. And finally, it will include DKA as the pack-in game, like the original CV did some 35+ years ago, as a way to thank the community for all the support and trust. Timeline: beta starts around year's end, pre-orders to happen first half of 2019.

* temporary code name

So I am really confused here: are you saying DKA will only be released on the Prometheus? Not for the SGM as it was originally sold and refunded?

I really hope I am reading you post wrong...

Ok, I should have made that clearer. No, DKA requires the SGM, thus it will run on either

1) a CV+SGM configuration

or

2) on "Prometheus Lite" (using that so I don't have to come up with yet another codename), since "prometheus" is nothing more than a CV compatible console with SGM built-in.

The game will be offered as the console pack-in game OR stand alone boxed version. If you are a pre-order and didn't get a refund, you can use your pre-order to either receive the boxed version or towards a console discount

Two more things:

1) If you are a developer of SGM content and need a publisher for your game, we can help you and give your game some pretty good visibility. Please contact us.

2) In case you haven't heard about OMNI and is a little lost, OMNI is our new 8-bit system. It is a brand new system with old school hardware, capabilities in line with tech available around 1985/1986. The case/cartridge/controller is being designed by Ted Mayer, from Intellivision II and III fame, and we will have playable demo stations available during this year PRGE and RWX. More info to come.

• Like 5

Ok, I should have made that clearer. No, DKA requires the SGM, thus it will run on either

1) a CV+SGM configuration

or

2) on "Prometheus Lite" (using that so I don't have to come up with yet another codename), since "prometheus" is nothing more than a CV compatible console with SGM built-in.

The game will be offered as the console pack-in game OR stand alone boxed version. If you are a pre-order and didn't get a refund, you can use your pre-order to either receive the boxed version or towards a console discount

Two more things:

1) If you are a developer of SGM content and need a publisher for your game, we can help you and give your game some pretty good visibility. Please contact us.

2) In case you haven't heard about OMNI and is a little lost, OMNI is our new 8-bit system. It is a brand new system with old school hardware, capabilities in line with tech available around 1985/1986. The case/cartridge/controller is being designed by Ted Mayer, from Intellivision II and III fame, and we will have playable demo stations available during this year PRGE and RWX. More info to come.

Thanks man, appreciate you clarifying that. As one of the pre-orders for the limited edition I will be sure to order it again as soon as Al lets us know its available (I'm sure he still has our info on who pre-ordered originally).

I will keep tabs on your Prometheus lite system when the specs get finalized.

Wow Opcode a new Omni system and a stable SGM compatible Prometheus lite? That is awesome! I cannot wait for your systems to be available!

I am also glad you have not lost faith in the Colecovision, as there are fans like me that really, really do appreciate what you have done and what you are doing!

I know you are going to have details later, but I was wondering if any of your new systems will support a type of built in BASIC or beginner style of language? How about just a set of tools for development like Gary Kitchen's Gamemaker on C64 and Apple? Commodore, Atari, Apple had BASIC built right in on boot and that was very instrumental for many devs of today. I always thought that hand holding in a platform for beginners (BASIC) while allowing pros to use C or ASM if they want would be a great way to make a community console. A kind of a step by step ladder with a community to try programs and suggest community fixes & collaborations.

Of course I can dream!

In any case keep up the great work!

Wow Opcode a new Omni system and a stable SGM compatible Prometheus lite? That is awesome! I cannot wait for your systems to be available!

I am also glad you have not lost faith in the Colecovision, as there are fans like me that really, really do appreciate what you have done and what you are doing!

I know you are going to have details later, but I was wondering if any of your new systems will support a type of built in BASIC or beginner style of language? How about just a set of tools for development like Gary Kitchen's Gamemaker on C64 and Apple? Commodore, Atari, Apple had BASIC built right in on boot and that was very instrumental for many devs of today. I always thought that hand holding in a platform for beginners (BASIC) while allowing pros to use C or ASM if they want would be a great way to make a community console. A kind of a step by step ladder with a community to try programs and suggest community fixes & collaborations.

Of course I can dream!

In any case keep up the great work!

Thank you so much for the kind words. That means a lot..

As for the BASIC thing, that is in fact something we have been discussing and something we may see from Ted's sketches. We indeed believe a lot of people would appreciate something like that, especially when the console's feature set is fairly rich. And you know, any descent 80's console must have a keyboard expansion.

• Like 1

Are the OMNI and the Prometheus Light based off of the same basic chipset?

It seems a pretty quick turnaround if you can ship not one but well two new retro systems out of the blue. I was under the impression you retargeted your original Prometheus design to be the OMNI ditching CV backcompat .... my speculation obviously.

Given your express dislike for modern SoC/FPGA and whatnot when it comes to retro-systems I find it hard to believe that you actually found 2 chipsets from the '80 that fit the bill for each system. If you have, man that must be like the mother-load .... it would be hard to pull of what you are proposing with even one chipset, but two ... that would be epic.

Are the OMNI and the Prometheus Light based off of the same basic chipset?

It seems a pretty quick turnaround if you can ship not one but well two new retro systems out of the blue. I was under the impression you retargeted your original Prometheus design to be the OMNI ditching CV backcompat .... my speculation obviously.

Given your express dislike for modern SoC/FPGA and whatnot when it comes to retro-systems I find it hard to believe that you actually found 2 chipsets from the '80 that fit the bill for each system. If you have, man that must be like the mother-load .... it would be hard to pull of what you are proposing with even one chipset, but two ... that would be epic.

Believe or not they are different chipsets as you will soon see.

Actually OMNi is mostly our IntelliXpander with some extras and Prometheus Lite is, well, Prometheus with some stuff removed.

As for quick turnaround, the hardware guys are that good. As an example, they got Omni right in their very first try. We got one of the games I built using a custom emulator and it run flawless right after the prototype had been assembled, one of those magical moment. Problem was never technical, Prometheus for example was mostly done in 2012. Problem was the same I had with the SGM, it takes me a while sometimes to make my mind, and I wasn’t in a hurry. And just like with the Sgm, one day you realize that it is time to make your mind, the planets align, and the sgm was all designed and ready for manufacturing in less than one year.

With Omni my motivation is to breath outside the CV scene, as the string of drama we had here since 2016 (and keeps going on) took a toll on me.

As for Prometheus Lite, I will spare you from the unpleasant details and just say that the motivation is to offer my fellow CV lunatics an option to own a ColecoVision compatible console with SGM LEGALLY built-in at the same or lower price as similar options, with no Cardillo’ name, picture or buttocks attached, and our usual quality and attention to detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I just want to clear up a few issues. First off there is no Intellectual Property in adding the ADAM extra RAM or the MSX audio chip into the colecovision. Opcode games has trademarked the phrase Super Game ModuleTM, but that does not LEGALLY prevent anyone from adding those same functions into the Colecovision. Out of respect for Opcode games we originally decided to not directly implement those functions into our system. We had worked out a way to provide the user a way to plug in their SGM into our system to allow the customers to play their SGM games. But it is the lack of respect and attempt to undermine our project by releasing a colecovision+SGM system that directly competes with us that leads us to where we are now. Opcode claims that he is doing the "promethius lite" system to provide an alternative to our project due to the licensing issue, but he is forgetting that he announced it before the licensing deal was even announced. This just shows that he has no respect for what we are trying to do and is actively trying to sabotage our project.

Releasing just a colecovision+SGM would be like us releasing a "SGM like" device to compete with the SGM (which we have the ability to do and even improve upon), but we would not do that as we are not trying to step on Opcode's toes.

• Like 1

I just want to clear up a few issues. First off there is no Intellectual Property in adding the ADAM extra RAM or the MSX audio chip into the colecovision. Opcode games has trademarked the phrase Super Game ModuleTM, but that does not LEGALLY prevent anyone from adding those same functions into the Colecovision. Out of respect for Opcode games we originally decided to not directly implement those functions into our system. We had worked out a way to provide the user a way to plug in their SGM into our system to allow the customers to play their SGM games. But it is the lack of respect and attempt to undermine our project by releasing a colecovision+SGM system that directly competes with us that leads us to where we are now. Opcode claims that he is doing the "promethius lite" system to provide an alternative to our project due to the licensing issue, but he is forgetting that he announced it before the licensing deal was even announced. This just shows that he has no respect for what we are trying to do and is actively trying to sabotage our project.
Releasing just a colecovision+SGM would be like us releasing a "SGM like" device to compete with the SGM (which we have the ability to do and even improve upon), but we would not do that as we are not trying to step on Opcode's toes.

The world is big enough for both of you.

• Like 2

I am speaking for myself, but I can imagine there are many people on this board who plan to support many / all of these projects as they all seem to have their own charm and are all born from a passion that is as unique as the talented people that pour themselves into it.

I hope the community can see what the others are doing and try to fill gaps that others are not, I think there are enough gaps that many peoples wishlists can fill.

• Like 1

Let me see, if I hadn't created the SGM, there was no SGM functionality to be added, thus no reason for this discussion. So yeah, adding SGM functionality is still copying my device, you aren't doing me any favor by not copying it. And for something you keep saying you don't care about, but it seems it is a selling point in your list, so much that you have this listed everywhere:

No SGM™ in the system, but the system will play Super Game Module™*** games

Not comment provided for *** anywhere.

Even when I asked for clarification, I was given the usual "fuck you" (no answer) treatment. Now I find it disturbing that it is being promised without any clarification on how it works. The wording, assuming you are really doing what we agreed upon, is just misleading.

Secondly, I offered the option of licensing, which you didn't accept because you want it for free. Yet, you did get (and it seems paid for) a license from Coleco Holdings, aka Chris Cardillo, the same guy who last year inflicted a lot of bullshit upon the community. That asshole was working on digging up dirt on people sending it to other people privately to try and turn the community against each other, including AFAIK Collectorvision. And before that he was black mailing, hitting fan sites with trademark violation, and twisting some arms to get the things he wanted. And yet you had no problem kissing his buttocks (and it seems paying) to get the license. Chris Cardillo, the trademark troll who grabbed the CV trademark for free while no one was paying attention, he deserves respect and get paid for a license. But your fellow developer who has been contributing to this community for 15 years deserves nothing, didn't create anything, has no IP legal rights for his invention, and you are just being kind for not stepping on my toes?

Then we have this as part of your system description:

* Loading rom file off the SD card is available for homebrew developers to test out their creations (i.e. homebrew games). CollectorVision Games Inc. does not condone or promote piracy, please purchase original games to support the game developers and companies when possible.

Funny, you have been saying openly for months that people is free to add SGM functionality to you system, to the point of actually encouraging that. And yet you condone piracy.

Nice talk.

Also, let me remind you of something. Check this very forum and you will find active development for Prometheus/CV2 dating back to 2012 (it was even the same team), so I don't see why you are saying I am trying to sabotage you now. Why do I have to not release something that was started first just so that you don't have competition?

I am offering people an option, option is good and they don't have to take it. As long as you don't mess with the SGM, I couldn't care less for whatever you are doing.

Ed

• Like 1

Just wanted to say I like the name choice for the new Opcode console. My dad used to buy a magazine called "Omni" and even though I was just a kid and not much of a science person, I remember it used to have some really cool articles.

OMNI was a great magazine back in its day... :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Let me see, if I hadn't created the SGM, there was no SGM functionality to be added, thus no reason for this discussion. So yeah, adding SGM functionality is still copying my device, you aren't doing me any favor by not copying it. And for something you keep saying you don't care about, but it seems it is a selling point in your list, so much that you have this listed everywhere:

By that Logic if the MSX or Arcade games hadn't been created you would never have released any games. Implementing functionality to play SGM games is not copying your device. What Fred did with the juicebox was copying your device. The SGM is an expansion device that adds external ram and a sound chip to the colecovision system. Our system is just adding the MSX sound functionality digitally to allow the games to be played.

Honesty I don't personally care about the SGM that much. But what I do care about is that the people of this community have spent a lot of money on these games and giving them the ability to play them.

Not comment provided for *** anywhere.

This must have accidentally been left off. It was just Super Game ModuleTM is trademark of Opcode Games

Even when I asked for clarification, I was given the usual "fuck you" (no answer) treatment. Now I find it disturbing that it is being promised without any clarification on how it works. The wording, assuming you are really doing what we agreed upon, is just misleading.

Secondly, I offered the option of licensing, which you didn't accept because you want it for free. Yet, you did get (and it seems paid for) a license from Coleco Holdings, aka Chris Cardillo, the same guy who last year inflicted a lot of bullshit upon the community. That asshole was working on digging up dirt on people sending it to other people privately to try and turn the community against each other, including AFAIK Collectorvision. And before that he was black mailing, hitting fan sites with trademark violation, and twisting some arms to get the things he wanted. And yet you had no problem kissing his buttocks (and it seems paying) to get the license. Chris Cardillo, the trademark troll who grabbed the CV trademark for free while no one was paying attention, he deserves respect and get paid for a license. But your fellow developer who has been contributing to this community for 15 years deserves nothing, didn't create anything, has no IP legal rights for his invention, and you are just being kind for not stepping on my toes?

I felt is was better to not reply and give myself some time to cool down so I didn't say anything I would regret. I did reach out to you last night but didn't hear anything back.

If you are willing to license the SGM for the same fee that Coleco did I would definately take you up on it. I don't defend anything that was done in the past. All I can say now about the licensing is they are being very generous with the terms.

Then we have this as part of your system description:

Funny, you have been saying openly for months that people is free to add SGM functionality to you system, to the point of actually encouraging that. And yet you condone piracy.

Nice talk.

Once again implementing functionality is not piracy. Piracy involves intellectual property or trademark theft, neither of which we are doing. You have no IP in the functionality. If we slapped your SGM logo on the box, that would be wrong.

Also, let me remind you of something. Check this very forum and you will find active development for Prometheus/CV2 dating back to 2012 (it was even the same team), so I don't see why you are saying I am trying to sabotage you now. Why do I have to not release something that was started first just so that you don't have competition?

I am offering people an option, option is good and they don't have to take it. As long as you don't mess with the SGM, I couldn't care less for whatever you are doing.

I brought this up last time you brought up these lies. You may have wanted to do Promethius back in 2012, but as you told me in a PM (that I am willing to share with your permission) You were approached late in 2016 by a new hardware development team and decided to pull support from my project and do your own thing with them (which you were totally entitled to do).

What gets overlooked here is that unless you are Nintendo or Apple, most hardware platforms do not make money. The money is made in the games. With our system incorporating SGM support, we will be opening the door to lots of new people who would be able to purchase Opcode's games. Which would ultimately be a good thing for Opcode.

This will be the last post from me about this, so there will be no more responses from me here. If anyone wants more details or information feel free to PM me

Edited by Bmack36
  • Like 1