IGNORED

Opcode Update Request July 2018

Secondly, I offered the option of licensing, which you didn't accept because you want it for free. Yet, you did get (and it seems paid for) a license from Coleco Holdings, aka Chris Cardillo, the same guy who last year inflicted a lot of bullshit upon the community. That asshole was working on digging up dirt on people sending it to other people privately to try and turn the community against each other, including AFAIK Collectorvision. And before that he was black mailing, hitting fan sites with trademark violation, and twisting some arms to get the things he wanted. And yet you had no problem kissing his buttocks (and it seems paying) to get the license. Chris Cardillo, the trademark troll who grabbed the CV trademark for free while no one was paying attention, he deserves respect and get paid for a license. But your fellow developer who has been contributing to this community for 15 years deserves nothing, didn't create anything, has no IP legal rights for his invention, and you are just being kind for not stepping on my toes?

Ed

This concerns me. It concerns me A LOT.

I wont derail this thread with this but I would like to see this addressed elsewhere if there is a thread on their new system.

• Like 1

Brian, the people here has the option to play SGM games already, and that is called the SGM.

What you want is a selling point, and I don’t see why I am obligated to give you that for free.

The parties you decide to be associate with is your problem, no mine. Personally I would never ever again have any dealings with Coleco Holdings, even if they were giving me stuff for free or paying me because 1) Cardillo is an asshole trademark troll that deserves no credit, respect or money for anything 2) in respect to friends in this community that had to go through a lot of shit because of him.

You and your associates have been:

1) misleading people to believe they will get SGM compatibility out of the box instead of properly informing them that they need a sgm for proper sgm compatibility

2) Encouraging people to improperly implement sgm support into your console instead of suggesting them to get a legal sgm like you do with software

3) spreading rumors about eminent sgm demise

So you can try to spin things however you want pal. I would suggest you go create your own thing. All this whining about the SGM is making you look insecure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

No SGM™ in the system, but the system will play Super Game Module™*** games

Seems to me the simplest non infringing answer should be considered first: you can plug in an SGM.

* Loading rom file off the SD card is available for homebrew developers to test out their creations (i.e. homebrew games). CollectorVision Games Inc. does not condone or promote piracy, please purchase original games to support the game developers and companies when possible.

I don't see where this could be misconstrued as infringing on SGM. You have SD slot. You play homebrew.

As for the no answer treatment I think most of us are guilty of untimely responses. I'll be overjoyed when I can actually get an SGM and/or Colecovision HD in my hands. That's everyone's end goal: get these products in developers and gamers hands. I hope we all remember that. Please.

One more thing. The people who spent a lot of money on SGM games did so because they already own a SGM! Put an expansion port in your console and the problem is solved. Otherwise you just want a selling point for your device on my expense. And as I mentioned before, I am not negotiating with Cardillo involved.

• Like 1

Brian, the people here has the option to play SGM games already, and that is called the SGM.

What you want is a selling point, and I don’t see why I am obligated to give you that for free.

The parties you decide to be associate with is your problem, no mine. Personally I would never ever again have any dealings with Coleco Holdings, even if they were giving me stuff for free or paying me because 1) Cardillo is an asshole trademark troll that deserves no credit, respect or money for anything 2) in respect to friends in this community that had to go through a lot of shit because of him.

You and your associates have been:

1) misleading people to believe they will get SGM compatibility out of the box instead of properly informing them that they need a sgm for proper sgm compatibility

2) Encouraging people to improperly implement sgm support into your console instead of suggesting them to get a legal sgm like you do with software

3) spreading rumors about eminent sgm demise

So you can try to spin things however you want pal. I would suggest you go create your own thing. All this whining about the SGM is making you look insecure.

Let me remind you that you also got a liscence from them for your SGM

(I can already see your answer.... ''yeah, that was until they became assholes'')

And let me clear this up once for all

Our system is SGM games compatible, we're NOT pirating your SuperGame Module

We just made our system compatible, simple as this

Now, go back to make your console and leave us alone, we'll also do the same

• Like 1

Let me remind you that you also got a liscence from them for your SGM

(I can already see your answer.... ''yeah, that was until they became assholes'')

And let me clear this up once for all

Our system is SGM games compatible, we're NOT pirating your SuperGame Module

We just made our system compatible, simple as this

Now, go back to make your console and leave us alone, we'll also do the same

One more lie, after all the "we aren't adding SGM functionality in respect to Opcode". You respect nothing, you never did.

You prefer to respect Cardillo than respect my contributions in this community. Very classy..

Yes, you are pirating it, as that isn't yours to use and make money. Get ready for some backlash.

So, is there now going to be more energy put into dismantling actual new Coleco systems being available? Brand/persona hate getting unfairly transferred to enthusiastic and capable companies?

Please just make products available. Isn't the love of appreciative customers better than all of this?

• Like 3

So, is there now going to be more energy put into dismantling actual new Coleco systems being available? Brand/persona hate getting unfairly transferred to enthusiastic and capable companies?

Please just make products available. Isn't the love of appreciative customers better than all of this?

I believe it will ultimately result in some kind of CV-clone console price war where in the end we get a couple of RetroN5-type devices.

I believe it will ultimately result in some kind of CV-clone console price war where in the end we get a couple of RetroN5-type devices.

With things gravitating towards negative and threatening posturing the possibility of the retro scene losing a great opportunity or two is very real.

There's a nuclear amount of irony in that SGM compatibility would mean MANY more people buying and supporting the SGM ecosystem. Everyone involved could be a hero.

Okay, let me just say this, because it seems to be the elephant in the middle of the room that nobody wants to talk about:

COLLECTORVISION AND OPCODE GAMES ARE COMPETITORS.

They are competing to get their future consoles purchased from the very same circle of people, namely ColecoVision fans who want a modern version of the console that plugs into a modern TV and isn't constantly on the edge of fatal hardware failure. If a buyer purchases one of these two proposed consoles, he probably won't bother to purchase the other one unless he's a collector. Hence the competition. There, I said it.

Seeing the war of words between these guys only confirms it. It's like watching Microsoft and Sony bitching away at each other. Lots of money invested means there's a lot at stake. So there's no way anyone involved is going to put any water in their wine.

• Like 4

Yes

No

No

Why would I got through all this shit if it wasn't for the community? Do you think I have any masochist inclinations? As I mentioned, for those who care to get a SGM compatible console from the rightful creator of the SGM (and don't want to support Cardillo and copycats), we will have a working prototype of Prometheus, complete with case and all, before the end of the year. And if we don't have, feel free to support Cardillo's CV.

• Like 2

Can I just say that I "love" how a simple request for an update from OpCode became get another chapter in the never ending battle for the two or three hundred people interested in this kind of stuff? I feel bad that OpCode, in his own section, can't answer a simple question without taking flak from the competition.

It's silly.

• Like 2

Can I just say that I "love" how a simple request for an update from OpCode became get another chapter in the never ending battle for the two or three hundred people interested in this kind of stuff? I feel bad that OpCode, in his own section, can't answer a simple question without taking flak from the competition.

It's silly.

That is ok, let’s get stuff out. We must be doing something right... First 3 games to be announced next week.

• Like 2

It's silly.

Well, when everyone takes sides and makes public drama this is what happens. Being competitors doesn't justify this display.

I want to be able to have units I can develop games on. The retro enthusiast community wants new Coleco hardware.

Talk to potential developers. Hash this out behind closed doors. Get product available. I hate to see old SGM units being flipped for extortionist prices.

Well, when everyone takes sides and makes public drama this is what happens. Being competitors doesn't justify this display.

I want to be able to have units I can develop games on. The retro enthusiast community wants new Coleco hardware.

Talk to potential developers. Hash this out behind closed doors. Get product available. I hate to see old SGM units being flipped for extortionist prices.

Not sure if I get your point here. Hash this out behind closed doors? And what if that already happened? Should I shut up and watch someone copying my effort to make money without complains? Is that what you expect from me? Let me tell you something, in case you don’t get it. To get something out requires considerable time and money investment. If members of the community can’t respect that investment, why should I keep contributing? I hear some people saying that we must do all for the love of the hobby, but forget those things require money investment to exist, not just love.

We have more than 1000 SGM in the hands of CV enthusiasts. Do you think I am doing a poor job with that? Did anyone expect we could have that many when we launched a few years ago? For all my flaws, it took a HUGE amount of effort to get where we are today. But I guess that attracts opportunists. The community has the power to self regulate and protect its contributors by saying NO to those opportunists, like it did with Juice and then Cardillo recently.

Not sure if I get your point here. Hash this out behind closed doors? And what if that already happened? Should I shut up and watch someone copying my effort to make money without complains? Is that what you expect from me? Let me tell you something, in case you don’t get it. To get something out requires considerable time and money investment. If members of the community can’t respect that investment, why should I keep contributing? I hear some people saying that we must do all for the love of the hobby, but forget those things require money investment to exist, not just love.

We have more than 1000 SGM in the hands of CV enthusiasts. Do you think I am doing a poor job with that? Did anyone expect we could have that many when we launched a few years ago? For all my flaws, it took a HUGE amount of effort to get where we are today. But I guess that attracts opportunists. The community has the power to self regulate and protect its contributors by saying NO to those opportunists, like it did with Juice and then Cardillo recently.

Yeah, I probably overstated my point. I just get excited about new Coleco hardware and hate to see in-fighting.

• Like 1

Candidly speaking, publishing other developers’ games was never a goal of mine or something I actively pursued because we already had two publishers doing that. Perhaps that was a mistake, I don’t know. On the other hand Pixelboy must be commended for doing a great job in that area, in fact way better job than I could have done, attracting a lot of talent to our scene. For all the differences I may have had with pixelboy over the years, he is a serious guy and should be supported, but I guess that goes without saying.

With one publisher now gone rogue, publishing and taking better care of my platform is something I should focus more in the future. There is a lot of talent out there, and I should be doing a better job attracting them. In fact I may have some exciting news to share in that area soon.

• Like 5

Okay, let me just say this, because it seems to be the elephant in the middle of the room that nobody wants to talk about:

COLLECTORVISION AND OPCODE GAMES ARE COMPETITORS.

They are competing to get their future consoles purchased from the very same circle of people, namely ColecoVision fans who want a modern version of the console that plugs into a modern TV and isn't constantly on the edge of fatal hardware failure. If a buyer purchases one of these two proposed consoles, he probably won't bother to purchase the other one unless he's a collector. Hence the competition. There, I said it.

Seeing the war of words between these guys only confirms it. It's like watching Microsoft and Sony bitching away at each other. Lots of money invested means there's a lot at stake. So there's no way anyone involved is going to put any water in their wine.

This is a small community.

"High tides raise all ships."

That's what should be happening here, not infighting.

CollectorVision needs to work out a deal with Eduardo to use the SGM "officially" in their system. That's what NEEDS to happen, IMO. Anything else is no better than Fred knocking off the SGM and disrespecting valuable members of this community.

We're all in it together, so let's see the homebrew publishers and the community work together.

• Like 7

Sure it does. :)

Which one does what wrt RGB/HDMI?

No chipset from the '80 had native HDMI obviously so you would need to upconvert one way or another and I don't know how strict those signal would be even if they happened to be in the (S)VGA domain (say a 1024x768@60Hz or even better 1280x768@60Hz) .... I hope the process does not make the image look bad and/or introduce a full frame buffer as we know that means 1 frame of lag .... yadayadayada.

Which one does what wrt RGB/HDMI?

No chipset from the '80 had native HDMI obviously so you would need to upconvert one way or another and I don't know how strict those signal would be even if they happened to be in the (S)VGA domain (say a 1024x768@60Hz or even better 1280x768@60Hz) .... I hope the process does not make the image look bad and/or introduce a full frame buffer as we know that means 1 frame of lag .... yadayadayada.

We are old school, we go with RGB. You can also use a VGA monitor that supports 15khz signal. And of course composite video. HDMI can be produced with external box, but as you mentioned, may introduce 1 frame of lag.

• Like 1

We are old school, we go with RGB. You can also use a VGA monitor that supports 15khz signal. And of course composite video. HDMI can be produced with external box, but as you mentioned, may introduce 1 frame of lag.

Thanks for the details, you answered to someone asking if it did RGB or HDMI with a "sure it does" so wasn't clear what you meant.

NOTE: needless to say for people in the US (like me) there are really no RGB TVs so it must be composite [i do have an XRGBmini and assuming it's easy to find/craft a cable for these systems I'm all set, as you are at it for RGB just use a popular AV connector (Sega MD2, PS1, maybe gosh even a SCART)]